What's new

Mystery science Theater 3000: The Movie------is this DVD out of print? (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
MST3K:TM got my $5.00 that year, I am so glad I saw it in a theater (The Tivoli) and I have the ticket stub to prove it. The theater was about half full of obvious fans and we all had a great time.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
I saw this opening night cause a friend's dad took he and I. I was in 8th grade and thought it was the funniest thing I had ever seen. It is still one of my favorite movie experiences because of the way the whole theatre, which was completely sold out, laughed together. I still love this film and anxiously await Universal to give us a special edition since I did not get a DVD player until after the Image disc went out of print.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
On the other hand, when is Universal going to dig out THIS ISLAND EARTH again?? The old transfer looked TERRIBLE and the MST3k print was ten times better!

As much as I liked MST3k, I find THIS ISLAND EARTH to be just a better made movie all together and it's unfortunate that it has come under fire by MSTies. It's a truly intelligent film with special effects far ahead of its time. All of the best scenes were cut out of MST3k: THE MOVIE

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, "This Island Earth" isn't nearly as bad as the movies they watched on the show. It's actually quite watchable on its own.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator
On the other hand, when is Universal going to dig out THIS ISLAND EARTH again?? The old transfer looked TERRIBLE and the MST3k print was ten times better!
I have to disagree, personally. I own both discs, and can only tell a slight difference between the two. "This Island Earth" transfer was insanely crisp, and you can't honestly expect the Technicolor hues to hold up. I take the good with the bad. Sharper image, a little grain. It adds to the B movie appeal.

That said, "This Island Earth" is indeed one of my all time favorite films.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
You know....I don't understand how MST3K having fun with a film somehow means they are rudely disrespecting it or that it lessens your enjoyment of it on it's own, I can still watch either version and get equal, if different, enjoyment from both.
Many of the filmmaker(s) behind the films MST3K has had fun with over the years love the satire and have a great sense of humor about it....if they can then why can't others?

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Many of the filmmaker(s) behind the films MST3K has had fun with over the years love the satire and have a great sense of humor about it....if they can then why can't others?
It's fine if you can respect both films, but my issue are at public screenings, forums, et al. where fans of the show have nothing but disrespectful things to say about THIS ISLAND EARTH.

I've had more than one public screening of TIE ruined by people talking in the theater. Come to think of it, however... MOST of my experiences in theaters in the last five years have been ruined by theater talkers. I guess it's just this generation.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
This Island Earth really is a terrific 50's sci-fi. Sure, it's a little silly in places, but it stands out from most of the shlocky films.

However, the MST version is extremely funny. For some reason, I think the best MSTings went with films that were not entirely bad. I mean, with Manos: The Hands of Fate, The Creeping Terror, and Invasion of the Neptune Men, you're partially lost into the wretchedness of the films.

MST3K did some films that I really don't think are that bad, but rather fun for heckling. The Screaming Skull, Jack Frost, Revenge of the Creature, Prince of Space, The Amazing Colossal Man, Devil Doll, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, and Gorgo really aren't that bad. Cheesy, silly at moments, but they're the kind of movies you might want to see on their own. You wouldn't really want to see Mitchell in its original form.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Rocketship X-M is a fairly well respected classic of early 1950's sci-fi that I happen to like a lot....and I think the MSTie version is frickin hilarious!

This Island Earth is as well...but I have to say that I still laugh out loud when Exeter shows up and upon seeing his obviously large forehead they yell out "...aah...I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!". :D That is legitimate satire.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
To me, always a Joel fan, there is nothing to compare with episodes like Fugitive Alien I & II; (Jet Jaguar! Jet Jaguar!) and the Gamera episodes :)

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I have to disagree, personally. I own both discs, and can only tell a slight difference between the two. "This Island Earth" transfer was insanely crisp, and you can't honestly expect the Technicolor hues to hold up. I take the good with the bad. Sharper image, a little grain. It adds to the B movie appeal.
By itself, it looks fine. That's until I saw an original 1955 print of the film and saw what it SHOULD look like. That blew me away. If Universal ever gets on top of things and puts out a substantial Science Fiction set, this one is SO worthy of a new transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks