What's new

Mystery science Theater 3000: The Movie------is this DVD out of print? (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
"OOHHH.....I AM Metaluna!"
"Nice Tangerine Dream music."

A PCM track would be nice on any new release, that way my old Image DVD packaging would be correct! ;)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Mike Nelson discussed PLAN 9 on a radio interview once. The brains decided it was so bad already, it did not need their riffing.

quote "....everyone said you gotta, you must do Plan 9 (From Outer Space), finally, somehow we got the rights to do it, and we screened it. It just doesnt work, because we cant fit our comments in, and its already ....TOO funny, here's their laugh line, and what are WE supposed to say? sort of trail along the end of that? 'Yeah, what they said!"

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
One other reason that Plan 9 was not used... Criswell's narration doesn't leave too much room for riffs.

FYI...they were going to do Blue Hawaii, but replaced it with another movie in Season 10. Mike & The Bots riffing Elvis would have been quite a sight.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I'm resurrecting this old thread just to see if there hasn't been some sort of rumblings for a new edition of this on DVD. This is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I never found this in stores to buy, and I'm not about to pay Ebay prices for this one. If anything, maybe this thread can get someone's attention and get the ball rolling.

CameronMcC

Second Unit
Plenty of other Image Only titles that need a re-release... Double Indemnity, Flash Gordon, etc. I'm sure it will be come back...just a matter of time.

Beau

Supporting Actor
I only have this on VHS. Havent seen any other MST3K stuff. I really loved the movie.

"I never Metaluna I didn't like."

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I'd highly recommend checking out some of the TV episodes released on DVD if you enjoyed the movie. There's about 8 different collections out that range nicely from the beginning to end of the series.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I finally sold my DVD copy of this (have the VHS) since I have seen it so many times and I figure they HAVE to release it eventually (hard to pass up $150). But with the way the Rhino sets sell, what is Universal waiting for? Ever a cheap $10, extras-less version (not that I want that) would do.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I have the Image disc but would love a new release with all the deleted scenes, etc. But I would settle for a decent anamorphic transfer. This is one of those discs that has great replay for me. This film completely bombed though, so I wonder how motivated Universal is to re-release it. With people paying good money for the Rhino sets, you would think Universal would recognize that this would sell at least relatively well.

jeff strickler

Stunt Coordinator
The film bombed because Gramercy didn't know what to do with it. They kneecapped the film with their lackluster marketing.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
One interesting turn around since this thread started, Mike Nelson is riffing Plan 9 now, for the same people he did House on Haunted Hill and stuff.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
One interesting turn around since this thread started, Mike Nelson is riffing Plan 9 now, for the same people he did House on Haunted Hill and stuff.
Do you mean on the actual DVDs!?! Can you actually get these films with Mike doing commentary!?!

How did I not know this...!?!

What others has he done?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Its no so much a "riffing", as it is a light hearted and sometimes humorous commentary. Dont get them expecting MST3K.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Indeed, observational humor with just a bit of detail on the film for the most part, think of his magazine articles and you will have a fairly close match.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Did you know that there were never more than like 30 prints of MST: TM in circulation, yet it still made over a million dollars? Not too shabby. It never even came to a theater anywhere near me, so I HAD to wait for video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks