Mystery Science Theater 3000: Season 1 box set... maybe

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Patrick McCart, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Apparently, Rhino may be preparing a complete box set of the entire first season of MST3K for DVD.

Please note... this is ONLY a rumor.

See http://www.mstiegate.com/ for a few more details.

This is a good season to do this for since "The Crawling Eye" is one of the most requested episodes (even if it's one of the most boring) and only one episode is on DVD so far (106 - The Crawling Hand).

2. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

You mean, The Crawling Hand" (episode 106). There was a lot of "Crawling" going around that year.

3. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

actually you're both correct

0101 The Crawling Eye
    0102 The Robot Vs. The Aztec Mummy
    0103 Mad Monster
    0104 Women Of The Prehistoric Planet
    0105 The Corpse Vanishes
    0106 The Crawling Hand
    0107 Robot Monster
    0108 The Slime People
    0109 Project Moonbase
    0110 Robot Holocaust
    0111 Moon Zero Two
    0112 Untamed Youth
    0113 The Black Scorpion

4. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

$200!![​IMG]
    Count me out if that turns out to be true.

5. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

$200/13 episodes = $15 each.

Then again $200 will be MSRP

6. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

I realize it's not a bad price for what your getting, but thats a big chunk to fork over for any set.

7. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Did the Brains and Rhino somehow manage to get the rights issues out of the way? Wow!

IF this is not just a rumor [hope, hope!] the $ 200.00 may be a little stiff, but I'd find a way to do it! Especially if there could be MORE season sets.

By the by, what does MSRP mean? [​IMG]

8. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

This would be pretty cool even at the price they want. The price still beats what alot of people charge for their homemade DVD-R copies too.

10. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Fun rumor to discuss and fantasize about, but highly unlikely. I posted this rumor for people to see at the mst3k review discussion board and the gentlemen who runs mst3k.com restates that BBI doesn't view season 1 as their best work by any stretch of the imagination and really doesn't have much interest in releasing these episodes.

A season 7 boxset would be great though since none of the episodes have been released on VHS or DVD before plus it's a shortened season, which would be more cost effective for everyone involved. Of course it makes more sense to start with season 1, but there's no way they'd be able to follow it up with the complete second season anyway...

11. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

This seems unlikely. Didn't the MST3K guys actually request that Comedy Central not rerun the first season eps anymore at one point? I'd welcome season sets, though I would hope they could keep the costs down somehow.

12. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    All of those are public domain titles except THE BLACK SCORPION, which is owned and was released on DVD by Warner.

13. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

JohnAP, BBI did do that, yes. Their main reason for doing so was because they were trying to get the feature film made and didn't want some exec stumbling across a season 1 episode and get the wrong impression of the show. MST3K, like many shows (Seinfeld, The Simpsons, etc.), wasn't in full swing in the first season: no Dr. Forrester, riffs in the films were a little less frequent, etc.

Overall though, season 1 is still highly entertaining and I don't see any reason why BBI has any reason to withhold these eps from the public anymore. By the same token, I don't see any reason why they would go out of their way to get a complete box set made out of them.

The complete 7th season is a much better idea. It's short, none of them have been released, and it's superior in quality to season 1.

14. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I realize discussion of bootlegs is taboo here, but most fans of MST3K realize that "sharing" fan copies is the only way most of these episodes will get to be enjoyed. I think season sets of MST3K is probably not going to happen. As much as I love the show, the thought of paying hundreds per season to replace my recordings is hard to stomach.

15. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    season 1?
    what does that mean or refer to?
    season one as shown on comedy central?

wasnt there a season of shows before that, that included a bunch of gamera eps?
    i always thought that was "season 1".

edit: ok just did quick research and found out that what i thought was season 1 apparently is season zero.

K00 - The Green Slime
    K01 - Invaders from the Deep
    K02 - Revenge of the Mysterians
    K03 - Star Force: Fugitive Alien II
    K04 - Gamera Vs. Barugon
    K05 - Gamera
    K06 - Gamera Vs. Gaos
    K07 - Gamera Vs. Zigra
    K08 - Gamera Vs. Guiron
    K09 - Phase IV
    K10 - Cosmic Princess
    K11 - Humanoid Woman
    K12 - Fugitive Alien
    K13 - SST Death Flight
    K14 - Mighty Jack
    K15 - Superdome
    K16 - City on Fire
    K17 - Time of the Apes
    K18 - Million Eyes of Su-Muru
    K19 - Hangar 18
    K20 - Last Chase
    K21 - Legend of the Dinosaur

16. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

Considering the great bulk of shows would be costly to re-sign the rights for, Season One, with all those PD movies, would be a natural to release, whether or not they think the shows are that good. I'd rather see that than most of the later Sci-Fi Channel episodes.

17. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Second Unit

Sean Aaron
    "no Dr. Forrester"

Well, he is definitely in The Crawling Hand, but TVs Frank is missing -- perhaps that's who you meant?

Anyway, I'd definitely pick this up. Any MST3K is good by me. I'm hoping to avoid picking up home-brew season sets of the first few; I don't feel like I need the "Season 0" ones, but I'd really like to see the Godzilla/Gamera ones and the Amazing Collossal Man/Beast episodes (ACM is the only DVD+R one I have and while it is watchable, I'd really prefer a proper DVD release with all the quality that entails).

Looking forward to Volume 7!

18. MichaelGH

MichaelGH Stunt Coordinator

Sean,
    We'll probably never see the godzilla/gamera mst3k versions on dvd (or time of the apes, fugitive alien) since Sandy Frank was so upset by what MST3K did with those movies....

I'd love to see amazing colossal man rear its ugly head again but since the rhino vhs quickly went out of print over rights issues i'm guessing that that might not happen either;/

Indeed Dr Forrester appeared on season one and tv's frank didn't show up until the season 2 premier. Josh Weinstein played the second mad scientist (he never impressed me in the episodes I've seen with him in it). I'd definitely buy this box in an instant though.

I'm really glad to see rhino continuing to release mst3k episodes. I thought they were going to stop once all the vhs episodes made their way to dvd. Hopefully that means they're selling pretty well (for a show like this at least).

TonyD,
    The 'season 0' episodes as you put them are generally referred to as the KTMA season after the local tv network on which they originally aired. K00 isn't a complete episode from what I've heard but merely a few minutes used to secure funding for the first KTMA episodes. Most of the KTMA episodes have been available to fans for years except for K01, K02, and K03 which I don't believe exist outside of the BB archives. The couple episodes I've seen from this season aren't as funny and the props definitely are not as refined as season 1 comedy central. Interesting to fans but would not do well on dvd probably.

Michael

19. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

well if they do it I would get it. I buy all the DVDs available to make sure I do my bit for encouraging more to be released. I even have The Essentials, so 2 copies of Manos .

Don't forget the first new "mst3k" in years tomorrow, when Mike and the bots rif on Cheap Seats.

Here is the preview "Creative Breaking Championships/K-1 Fighting"

oh yeah and check out my MST3K DVD Covers here.

Haven't done more due to Warcraft addiction.

20. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Sadly I would pay for this.