What's new

Mystery noise - Seaside Heights, NJ area (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Have you ever heard a Sonic Boom before? I'm currently down the Jersey Shore, Seaside Heights area, and as of 11:00AM, I heard what sounded like a Thunderclap. This noise lasted 5 seconds or less, was enough to shake the house a little, and I just heard about 10 of them in the space of 30 minutes. The only thing I could think of is jets going Mach 1 from the nearby McGuire Airforce base.

But, unless it was for training exercises, why would one need go that fast down here, and why ten in a row? I thought only Mach 3 was possible, so assuming it was a jet, 3 booms would be the limit..

Anyone else in the area hear the noises just now and can confirm what it was? Curios minds want to know :).

Edit - As of 11:20 I just heard 'em again, this time three within 3 seconds, and a fourth one 3 seconds after that... Gotta be Sonic booms, no? But why so many is the question

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Maybe it's some new boardwalk game at the boardwalk there?? :)

I remember when an F-16 crashed right off the GSP down by the pine barrens last year or a few years ago...

Not one of the snow thunder... no storms that I've seen recently except for a squall off Ocean and Cape May county right now. Wunderground didn't show any lightning strikes...

Jay

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Neil, is there a big construction site nearby? Where they might be doing some blasting? Near our building at work, they had been doing blasting about 6 months ago and it sometimes sounded a bit like loud long thunder with the accompanying small building shake and window rattle.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

I was thinking about this as well, but blasting in this area is a bad thing. A few feet down and you'd hit ocean, hence why no one here has basements ;).

But even though sound travels far down here, I don't think we'd hear a blast sound from somewhere like say, Toms River. That's a few miles away..and they'd have to be doing an awful lot of blasting, because I just heard 4 more a few minutes ago as of 12:10, and another one as I typed.

So I don't no whut it is ;)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Aqua Teen is based at the Jersey Shore, you know. Maybe the Moonites have landed here, and it's their spaceship that's making the noise ;).

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
There is a Naval Base in Lakehurst, I believe. Recall seeing the Air Force Thunderbirds there as well as The Blue Angels. That could have been the source of the sound.

mylan

Screenwriter
I believe the Thunderbirds are doing a fly-over at the Superbowl, they might be practicing low altitude runs.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
I've heard the space shuttle returning to Kennedy Space Center many times. You hear twin sonic booms. Basically it's "bang-bang" and lasts for about 1 second.

I don't know if it would sound different for other types of aircraft.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

Well, I haven't heard a single one today, so maybe that's the case. Anyone have their practice schedule? heh

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
You do realize you've endangered us all by posting this. They know we're onto them now. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks