What's new

Mystery & Crime Series 30's & 40's (1 Viewer)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I had something else planned to watch this afternoon, but my lunch out ran very long, and I didn't have time this afternoon for a full length movie, but as I was scrolling through Amazon Prime movie offerings, I came upon Nancy Drew, Reporter, and since it was just a little over an hour, I watched it. Seeing it again reminded me of how much I despise those two irritating kids who are practical jokers and annoyances to Nancy and Ted. Still, a breezy hour of shenanigans and missteps to get to the solution to the "mystery." (Just like in the books, the guilty parties are never hard to spot.)
Not everything that was amusing in the 1930's is funny today:P I don't know how you do it. Yesterday we got in The Falcon Takes Over and an episode of NCIS (no we never watched them until a couple of months ago). You run me into the ground with the volume of stuff you watch and review.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
TV links. As we discuss the various movie series I got interested in chasing down other later versions of these series. Over the last couple of weeks we have viewed a couple.
Nancy Drew:
aa39ab36ef07e3bb47954400963adfc2.jpg

We had already seen the Pamala Sue Martin 1977 TV series as well as the 2007 movie with Emma Roberts but now we have added the 2002 TV Movie with Maggie Lawson
NUP_137484_3429.JPG
and an episode of the 1995 series with Tracy Ryan in the lead thanks to YouTube.
Interesting, but I still prefer the Granville films.

Also (thanks to youtube) finally watched the Nero Wolfe 1977 Pilot with Thayer David and quite enjoyed it even though the Maury Chaykin 2001 series is a favorite. (Yes, I've also watched the 1981 William Conrad version) In this hunt process, I ran across (I posted this in another thread, search Nero Wolfe Extended) a copy of Before I Die as it was shown in Europe. It is in letterbox and has 45 minutes never shown in the US or on the A&E release. Quite a treat as the 2001 series is a favorite for me. (Gotta love youtube)

So next up, I will review the Nero Wolfe Movie series (if you can call two films a series).

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Nero Wolfe
tln9Kuf4mvBTaL0clEAOVOlPAaz.jpg
220px-League_of_frightened_men.jpg

Meet Nero Wolfe
The League of Frightened Men

Can you call two films a series? Why not? My list includes the Duncan Mac McClain series of two and the pair of Kitty O’Day’s, but the Nero Wolfe series is unique as it is not only just two films but each film has a different lead? Well I’m going to call the Nero Wolfe films a series because the Rex Stout creation is an important element in the mystery genre and these are the only movie versions we have.

For those of you that have never seen or read a Nero Wolfe, he is a different kind of detective. He doesn’t want to work – loves good food (his personal chef is a key player) – loves orchids (and spends a scheduled part of every day with them) and solves crimes only when he needs money. Most important, he also almost never leaves his house letting Archie, his leg man and the story’s narrator, to bring the details to him.

The first film Meet Nero Wolfe 1936 has Edward Arnold in the lead (he was also the star in Duncan Mac McClain two film series) along with Lionel Stander (you know from Hart to Hart) as Archie Goodwin. The film is based loosely on the novel Fer-de-Lance, the title and a deadly South American snake. The only treat in this film is the brief appearance of a very young Rita Cansino (Rita Hayworth). The story starts with a foursome of golf. One of the players complains that a mosquito bit him in mid swing and minutes later he is dead of a heart attack. Later Nero proves it was not a heart attack but the poison of a Fer-de-Lance. A $50,000 reward is offered and Nero is on the case. In this version I did not find Edward Arnold likeable (although I found his portrayal of the blind detective Duncan Mac McClain in that series very likable). Stander’s Archie seems to be a dunce. Watching Meet Nero Wolfe as just a B movie, forgetting that it’s a Nero Wolfe, makes it an OK movie. I don’t think it’s worth the 6.6 on IMDB, I would give it something in the fives.

A year later Columbia tried again with Walter Connolly as the lead and Lionel Stander retained as Archie in the League of Frightened Men. This was considered a lost film and maybe should have stayed lost. Well perhaps it’s not that bad, but boring and slow. Plot holes abound. I love B mystery series and have now watched it twice but I doubt that I shall view it a third time.

After the second movie, Rex Stout refused to authorize any more screen adaptations. Different reasons have been given, including his dislike for Stander’s Archie portrayal.

Both of these movies are currently only available from secondary sources such as ebay.

If you are completist like me you’ll have to watch these, but if you just want to see Nero Wolfe, try the 1977 TV movie on youtube, the 1981 TV series with William Conrad or my favorite the 2001 A&E series with Maury Chaykin and Tim Hutton.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I've never seen any of these apart from the William Conrad TV series, so my interest is definitely piqued by your write-up. Thanks!
I didn't even bring up the two Italian and one Russian TV series because I have never seen them - so maybe next...

The 2001 A&E series is among my top mystery shows. Chaykin goes over the top occasionally (annoying) but I find the show gets better with each re-watch. Not many mystery series are in that group.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Kitty O’Day

ti100169_large.jpg

Kitty O’Day Detective
The Adventures of Kitty O’Day

I love mysteries and I love comedies. Perhaps one of the reasons that I so enjoy these wonderful B mystery series from the 30’s – 40’s – 50’s is that so many of them use that combination. At best, the juxtaposition of murder against humor can create wonderful films, The Thin Man or Ruterford Marples, for example. Even when the comedy is the primary element as in the Whistling series with Red Skelton, these can be really fun entertaining movies. But, sometimes it just doesn’t click. I have really tried to like this series, honest I have, but I’m struggling.

More slapstick than mystery, this short series stars Jean Parker as Kitty O’Day and Peter Cookson as the boyfriend Johnny Jones. Kitty O’Day is an amateur detective and along with unwilling boyfriend goes off to solve the crimes much to the dismay and disruption of the police. The Monogram Studio shows through on this two movie outing. One take wonders with a script that must have been made up as they went along. When the comedy doesn’t work, as a lover of B movies, I can usually enjoy the camp that comes with a poverty row production. But in this case I just couldn’t get into it. For me, it just kind of laid there. The films weren’t even bad enough to be good.

detective-kitty-oday-movie-poster-1944-1020251308.jpg

In the first outing, Detective Kitty O’Day, Kitty finds her boss hanged right after getting a $100,000 in negotiable bonds. But he really didn’t hang himself, he drowned. Might have led to a good mystery, but it doesn’t. Kitty pulls her boyfriend along and they stumble on two other bodies, each time, right before the police arrive. They spend a lot of their time falling over things, running from the police, and take a stroll on the outside ledge of the building followed by Edward Gargan “Sergeant Mike” the comic relief from the screwball comedy. In the end they kinda “solve” the crime. Not really a mystery, not really a comedy (but it tries), not really worth your time unless you are in the mood for a programmer running while you’re on your computer or just gotta be there for the train wreck. These films got a 5.5 and 5.2 respectively on IMDB so some people must have enjoyed them and maybe I might on another day. Somebody please, show me the error of my ways.

Both of these movies are on youtube and Archive.org for free and IMHO are priced right.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
I didn't even bring up the two Italian and one Russian TV series because I have never seen them - so maybe next...

The 2001 A&E series is among my top mystery shows. Chaykin goes over the top occasionally (annoying) but I find the show gets better with each re-watch. Not many mystery series are in that group.

The A&E Nero Wolfe is an All-Time favorite. Very well Done by all involved.

I have seen the Itailan Nero Wolfe. Bought the DVD from AMAZON. 8 episodes.
It was OK, bit slow at times. Wolfe seem more tolerate taking business in his plant room and at the dinner table.
MHz put the series out on DVD. Can watch a preview here.

https://mhzchoice.vhx.tv/nero-wolfe

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
The A&E Nero Wolfe is an All-Time favorite. Very well Done by all involved.

I have seen the Itailan Nero Wolfe. Bought the DVD from AMAZON. 8 episodes.
It was OK, bit slow at times. Wolfe seem more tolerate taking business in his plant room and at the dinner table.
MHz put the series out on DVD. Can watch a preview here.

https://mhzchoice.vhx.tv/nero-wolfe
Thanks for the link - I think:P
I have avoided buying them so far - but it's another mountain - it's there...:rolleyes:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I went on with the Philo Vance box set with the next entry: The Dragon Murder Case. I have seen this one a goodly number of times, so I had no trouble remembering the identity of the murderer (I also remember that the first time I saw it, I didn't guess the right killer). The film definitely looks its age as Warner hasn't done anything to spiff it up on DVD. Warren William is suave enough but fairly banal as Philo. I wish they could have gotten the Paramount Vance films for this set.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Duncan “Mac” Maclain
sis-eyesinthenight-10.jpg

The Last Express
Eyes in the Night
The Hidden Eye

Well this stinks. I have been writing up the three mystery series that only had two movies each. I’ve already finished the Nero Wolfe series, the Kitty O’Day series and when I got to this one the Duncan ‘Mac’ Maclain series I discovered that there were actually three films in this series. The first film was The Last Express 1938 with Kent Taylor (better know for his Boston Blackie TV series). I went on a hunt and have been unable to obtain or even view this movie. IMDB does not have enough votes to rate it, so I’m assuming it is one of the zombie films (those that are not lost films but are unattainable). I will continue the review but we’ll just have to start with the second film starring Edward Arnold as pictured above.

Way before the 2013 Hong Kong movie Blind Detective, way before the 1971 TV series Longstreet, Edward Arnold was able to perceive the answer to mysteries without eyesight. The Baynard Hardwick Kendrick character of the blind detective started out in 1937 in the novel The Last Express, translated to the screen in 1938 and as noted above – currently unobtainable. He didn’t appear again until 1942 when MGM released Edward Arnold in Eyes in the Night. MGM did do a follow up with Arnold again in the lead. The Hidden Eye was not released until 1945 and was the final entry in the series. I’m not sure why the gap.

Detective Duncan Mac Maclain, along with the help of his wonder seeing eye dog Friday, not only has the problems inherent to a sleuth, but also has to overcome additional problems due to lack of sight. Arnold’s jovial attitude that turned me off in the Nero Wolfe movie works for me here. Rather than succumbing to his handicap, he laughs at it and goes on to do the job required. I will admit that sometimes parts of the movie are a little far fetched but it is a B movie. These are really crime action thrillers rather than mysteries, as we all know who did it soon in the picture. All in all I found both of these films to be delightful with the first being the better of the two. I’m a little sad they didn’t make a few more of them but I suspect that timing had a lot to do with it. This would have continued right after the war and movies were starting to suffer or maybe Mr. Arnold didn’t want to continue in a series.

Eyes in the Night DVD is generally available from normal sources (Amazon etc. - I think it may be an Alpha release) and is also on Archive.org. The Hidden Eye is a bit harder to find but I spotted it on ebay and at a couple of DVD specialty stores (Just Google Hidden Eye DVD).

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Nice write up, Marv! I've seen Eyes in the Night many, many years ago, and remember loving it then. I enjoyed Arnold in the part and really liked Friday the wonder dog, who seemed to do most of the work protecting his master and taking down the bad guys. Have always wanted to see the sequel but have never had a chance to. Was not aware of the earlier Kent Taylor film, so thanks for that info.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Nice write up, Marv! I've seen Eyes in the Night many, many years ago, and remember loving it then. I enjoyed Arnold in the part and really liked Friday the wonder dog, who seemed to do most of the work protecting his master and taking down the bad guys. Have always wanted to see the sequel but have never had a chance to. Was not aware of the earlier Kent Taylor film, so thanks for that info.
Thanks Jeff. I'll get it right this time - Good Evening. I keep forgetting you are half way around the world from me. We are going back home to Michigan in a couple of weeks to see my Grand daughter before her and her husband head over to Korea so she will be in the neighborhood.

Yes - I really got a kick out of this series - I'll try to put up a short blurb on the first movie later today. We are going out to Busch Gardens (amusement park) today to enjoy the sunshine.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Thanks Jeff. I'll get it right this time - Good Evening. I keep forgetting you are half way around the world from me. We are going back home to Michigan in a couple of weeks to see my Grand daughter before her and her husband head over to Korea so she will be in the neighborhood.

Yes - I really got a kick out of this series - I'll try to put up a short blurb on the first movie later today. We are going out to Busch Gardens (amusement park) today to enjoy the sunshine.

Have a nice trip, Marv! Michigan should just about have some decent weather around this time of year. ;)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
41.jpg

The first of the Edward Arnold – Duncan “Mac” Maclain series lets us us get to know Mac and his skills. We are introduced to braille, a blind mans watch, his seeing eye dog and his special judo skills. Pretty neat to see now, but it must have been amazing to a 1940 audience. The movie has two of my favorite comedy character actors – Allen Jenkins and Mantan Moreland but they are barely used in this film.

You’ve seen it all before – a brilliant scientist (Reginald Denny), a secret formula that will help us win the war, and enemy agents out to get it. But have you ever seen it where the detective is blind? Will he triumph and stop the bad guys? Mac Maclain along with his seeing eye dog Friday will have to do it all while they are trapped in a house with many evil doo-ers. All the while a sub-plot between Mac’s old friend Norma Lawry (Ann Harding) and step daughter Barbara (Donna Reed) is running. A real treat to see a young Donna Reed play the “bad girl” but she does get redeemed in the end. Perhaps the biggest star is the dog Friday who, I think, went on to direct (he seemed smart enough to). All in all a quick 80 minutes.

The DVD is commonly available from the usual sources and the video is available for free on Archive.org.

I enjoyed it so much, I’ll have to dig out my Longstreet and watch those again.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Boston Blackie
img_chestermorris2.png

Meet Boston Blackie

Confessions of Boston Blackie
Alias Boston Blackie
Boston Blackie Goes Hollywood
After Midnight
Chance of a Lifetime
One Mysterious Night
Boston Blackie Booked on Suspicion
Boston Blackie’s Rendezvous
A Close Call for Boston Blackie
The Phantom Thief
Boston Blackie and the Law
Trapped by Boston Blackie
Boston Blackie’s Chinese Venture

Boston Blackie – a reformed jewel thief was appropriately born while his creator, Jack Boyle, was doing time in San Quentin. The first Boston Blackie story appeared in American Magazine in 1914. It wasn’t very long before his debut in the flics. Blackie appeared 11 times in silent films with different leads including Lionel Barrymore. With the advent of sound Boston Blackie retired until 1941 when Columbia pictures revived the character with Chester Morris as the star for a series of 14 films.

The talking Boston Blackie movies are classic studio B crime action films from the 40’s. These are definitely programmers, but well done programmers. Slick breezy stories that have lots of humor and action. They include, of course, the obligatory humorous sidekick, in this case “the Runt”. This role was filled nicely by veteran character actor George E. Stone in all but the first and last films of the series. Blackie also has the required police presence dogging his movements in the form of Inspector Faraday (Richard Lane) who also played in all 14 outings.

Here's a BB teaser from GETTV

Generally, the plots are the same. Something bad happens and Boston Blackie is suspected of doing it. In many cases he gets into these messes by trying to help somebody out, usually ex-cons. He uses disguises, trickery, magician skills, and just about anything else you can think of to evade capture of the police. Now for the next 60+ minutes he has to clear himself by finding and catching the bad guys.

Yes, this is your basic B formula action movie. Having said that, I find these films most enjoyable. Chester Morris is charming, the Runt endearing, and even Faraday and his mostly hidden admiration of Blackie is fun. If you like one of these, you probably will enjoy all of them but, these are not movies to binge watch. The formula does start to show through. I would suggest putting a little time between each viewing for maximum enjoyment.

You can watch some Boston Blackie on youtube and Archive.org. TCM screens them frequently and Amazon has the entire set for sale for a reasonable price. (I don’t have that set so I can’t speak to its quality).

For those of you silent movie fans, the Return of Boston Blackie 1927 is on youtube but the movie is more about Strongheart the wonder dog than Boston Blackie.

I was first introduced to Boston Blackie from the 1950’s TV series with Kent Taylor (many episodes are on youtube). Remember: Enemy of those who make him an enemy; friend of those who have no friends. This was also a fun series and although this section is about movies I suggest you check them out.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I was first introduced to Boston Blackie from the 1950’s TV series with Kent Taylor (many episodes are on youtube). Remember: Enemy of those who make him an enemy; friend of those who have no friends. This was also a fun series and although this section is about movies I suggest you check them out.
Totally agree about the Boston Blackie TV series. It's full of great location work throughout the Los Angeles area circa early 50s. One episode has a climax at the then-dilapidated Hollywood sign. Also at Angel's Flight, Pacific Ocean Park and some well-staged chases and fight scenes in various factories, drawbridges and streets throughout LA.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Totally agree about the Boston Blackie TV series. It's full of great location work throughout the Los Angeles area circa early 50s. One episode has a climax at the then-dilapidated Hollywood sign. Also at Angel's Flight, Pacific Ocean Park and some well-staged chases and fight scenes in various factories, drawbridges and streets throughout LA.
Yea - an added benefit of these movies and TV shows is the time capsule they provide in the background. Extra sweet when they spark our own personal memories or show us a favorite place or activity in times past.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks