What's new

Mystery & Crime Series 30's & 40's (1 Viewer)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Marv...you've probably noticed I've been spending some time in other threads. I haven't forgotten this one. I'll have some old sleuthy film commentaries coming up in the next day or so. Really.

images

"That Russ...he can be such a dick sometimes..."

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Marv...you've probably noticed I've been spending some time in other threads. I haven't forgotten this one. I'll have some old sleuthy film commentaries coming up in the next day or so. Really.

images

"That Russ...he can be such a dick sometimes..."
What can I say. I too have been absent. Been watching a lot of Agatha Christie stuff and catching up on TV stuff. But I will be back as well. Enjoying your posts in other threads.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
What can I say. I too have been absent. Been watching a lot of Agatha Christie stuff and catching up on TV stuff. But I will be back as well.
I should hope so. If you stay gone any longer, this place is going to turn into a grazing area for Llamas. The best I can do is put up a Shake Shack nearby and hope for a few customers.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I should hope so. If you stay gone any longer, this place is going to turn into a grazing area for Llamas. The best I can do is put up a Shake Shack nearby and hope for a few customers.

I've never eaten at a Shake Shack. The lines at the ones in Manhattan are always too long. I can't imagine the food at a glorified hamburger stand is good enough to deserve such long lines. Trendiness is a poor substitute for good food.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I've never eaten at a Shake Shack. The lines at the ones in Manhattan are always too long. I can't imagine the food at a glorified hamburger stand is good enough to deserve such long lines. Trendiness is a poor substitute for good food.
I've never eaten at one either, Brian. I just like the alliterative name.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
What can I say. I too have been absent. Been watching a lot of Agatha Christie stuff and catching up on TV stuff. But I will be back as well. Enjoying your posts in other threads.
Yeah...I need to ratchet back on some of the threads. I'm starting to lose track of whose lawn I've been traipsing through.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
murder-my-sweet-poster.jpg

This story, an adaptation of Farewell My Lovely by Raymond Chandler had already been filmed as The Falcon Takes Over back in 1942 but in 1944 Phillip Marlowe finally makes it to the big screen as his own man. Dark and gritty for the 40’s, this was truly film noir. Hardboiled life on the seedy side. Daylight seldom creeps into this tale of murder and intrigue.

Let’s start with the casting. Dick Powell wasn’t a tough guy. Just prior to the release of this film he had starred in Meet the People where he was going to do a show for Uncle Sam. That’s right – Dick was the consummate song and dance man. And now he’s a hard boiled detective. Murder My Sweet totally changed the direction of his career as his next movie Cornered continued as a guy searching for the murderer of his wife. His new direction had been charted and success continued. Chandler stated that although he liked Bogey, Powell was his favorite Phillip Marlowe – the everyman shamus.

In the 1944 Harrison’s Reports the movie was advance reviewed as Farwell My Lovely the title of the book. Turns out the studio decided to change the name to forestall any confusion that this was a musical with Dick Powell. This was an unshaven, rough and tumble gumshoe not the sparkling crooner the public had come to expect.

MV5BMTRhYzc5YjktNDI5Yy00OTUwLTgxYzUtMGFkY2MxNjM1MGQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_.jpg

The Movie starts out with Marlow, bandages over his eyes, in the sweat box with the police. They convince him to spill and he starts to narrate the story. The scene opens up with him sitting in his office alone, late at night, when a giant in the form of Moose Malloy appears in the reflection in the window. The roll of Moose starred Mike Mazurki, at 6 foot 5 and built like a truck he played a lot of villains right up until his death at age 83.

mazurki.jpg

He wants Marlowe to find his Velma and he won’t take no for an answer. It seems he’s been in stir for the last 8 years and he can’t find her. It’s hard to say no to a guy that could crush you with one hand and besides he coughs up a couple of 20’s and they feel real nice right next to the appendix. The next day Phillip is approached by Lindsay Marriott (Douglas Walton) to help recover (blackmail payment) a jade necklace worth over a 100 grand and this is in 1944 dollars. Over the course of the hour and 35 minutes, the two problems intertwine as twist and turns abound helped by the two female leads. Helen Grayle (Claire Trevor) the trophy wife of the rich Leuwen Grayle (Miles Mander) and his daughter Ann Grayle played by Anne Shirley. And we don’t want to forget the great (but in this case underused) villain in the form of Otto Kruger.

claire-trevor-sp.jpg

Claire Trevor
MV5BYzI2NDNkYzYtZWVhMi00YmRiLWJiMDYtNjhlNjk1MmQxYmY0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Anne Shirley

As Marlowe stumbles along trying to resolve the story along with the rest of us – he continually gets the worst of it. He must have a skull of iron as he spends a lot of the movie getting knocked out. "I caught the blackjack right behind my ear. A black pool opened up at my feet. I dived in; it had no bottom."

Unlike many of today’s mysteries, this one grabs all the loose ends and ties them together pretty neatly at the end. We don’t feel cheated because we know pretty much everything Marlowe knows and we’re there for the climax. All in all, a very satisfying mystery thriller and a great introduction into the world of Noir.

Murder My Sweet is available in a very nice Blu Ray and is also on many streaming services. It is also a regular on TCM.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
murder-my-sweet-poster.jpg

This story, an adaptation of Farewell My Lovely by Raymond Chandler had already been filmed as The Falcon Takes Over back in 1942 but in 1944 Phillip Marlowe finally makes it to the big screen as his own man. Dark and gritty for the 40’s, this was truly film noir. Hardboiled life on the seedy side. Daylight seldom creeps into this tale of murder and intrigue.

Let’s start with the casting. Dick Powell wasn’t a tough guy. Just prior to the release of this film he had starred in Meet the People where he was going to do a show for Uncle Sam. That’s right – Dick was the consummate song and dance man. And now he’s a hard boiled detective. Murder My Sweet totally changed the direction of his career as his next movie Cornered continued as a guy searching for the murderer of his wife. His new direction had been charted and success continued. Chandler stated that although he liked Bogey, Powell was his favorite Phillip Marlowe – the everyman shamus.

In the 1944 Harrison’s Reports the movie was advance reviewed as Farwell My Lovely the title of the book. Turns out the studio decided to change the name to forestall any confusion that this was a musical with Dick Powell. This was an unshaven, rough and tumble gumshoe not the sparkling crooner the public had come to expect.

MV5BMTRhYzc5YjktNDI5Yy00OTUwLTgxYzUtMGFkY2MxNjM1MGQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_.jpg

The Movie starts out with Marlow, bandages over his eyes, in the sweat box with the police. They convince him to spill and he starts to narrate the story. The scene opens up with him sitting in his office alone, late at night, when a giant in the form of Moose Malloy appears in the reflection in the window. The roll of Moose starred Mike Mazurki, at 6 foot 5 and built like a truck he played a lot of villains right up until his death at age 83.

mazurki.jpg

He wants Marlowe to find his Velma and he won’t take no for an answer. It seems he’s been in stir for the last 8 years and he can’t find her. It’s hard to say no to a guy that could crush you with one hand and besides he coughs up a couple of 20’s and they feel real nice right next to the appendix. The next day Phillip is approached by Lindsay Marriott (Douglas Walton) to help recover (blackmail payment) a jade necklace worth over a 100 grand and this is in 1944 dollars. Over the course of the hour and 35 minutes, the two problems intertwine as twist and turns abound helped by the two female leads. Helen Grayle (Claire Trevor) the trophy wife of the rich Leuwen Grayle (Miles Mander) and his daughter Ann Grayle played by Anne Shirley. And we don’t want to forget the great (but in this case underused) villain in the form of Otto Kruger.

claire-trevor-sp.jpg

Claire Trevor
MV5BYzI2NDNkYzYtZWVhMi00YmRiLWJiMDYtNjhlNjk1MmQxYmY0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Anne Shirley

As Marlowe stumbles along trying to resolve the story along with the rest of us – he continually gets the worst of it. He must have a skull of iron as he spends a lot of the movie getting knocked out. "I caught the blackjack right behind my ear. A black pool opened up at my feet. I dived in; it had no bottom."

Unlike many of today’s mysteries, this one grabs all the loose ends and ties them together pretty neatly at the end. We don’t feel cheated because we know pretty much everything Marlowe knows and we’re there for the climax. All in all, a very satisfying mystery thriller and a great introduction into the world of Noir.

Murder My Sweet is available in a very nice Blu Ray and is also on many streaming services. It is also a regular on TCM.

There you go. There's the Marv-kind-of-posts we've come to know and love!

"I caught the blackjack right behind my ear. A black pool opened up at my feet. I dived in; it had no bottom."
I know this kind of narrative was common in the Marlowe films, but I always thought it kind of funny in that it sounded more like he was dictating lines for a book rather than speaking normal everyday patter.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
There you go. There's the Marv-kind-of-posts we've come to know and love!

I know this kind of narrative was common in the Marlowe films, but I always thought it kind of funny in that it sounded more like he was dictating lines for a book rather than speaking normal everyday patter.
Remember - at least in this case he was narrating for us and police - it was his thoughts and not his speech. I like it - it's... poetic:D

Thanks for the kind words.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

claire-trevor-sp.jpg

Claire Trevor

Anne Shirley

Great review, Marv! Absolutely love this film, and Dick Powell is just terrific in it. It's funny, growing up, I only saw Powell's tough guys movies...I didn't see any of his crooner roles until just a few years ago. He's a very good song and dance man, but I prefer the scrappy, hard-edged persona of his post-Murder, My Sweet career.

And what a great title! Worthy of Chandler himself.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Great review, Marv! Absolutely love this film, and Dick Powell is just terrific in it. It's funny, growing up, I only saw Powell's tough guys movies...I didn't see any of his crooner roles until just a few years ago. He's a very good song and dance man, but I prefer the scrappy, hard-edged persona of his post-Murder, My Sweet career.

And what a great title! Worthy of Chandler himself.
Thanks Jeff. The variety of Marlowe performances continues to amaze me. I think part of what made Powell's performance work was the code. Innuendo worked well for him and made his performance so different than Mitchum's when the code was turned off. I like them both but they are very different.
We have been watching a lot of Agatha Christie stuff the last couple of weeks. I almost did a summary on Poirot but the set of movies done in the 1930's contain two lost films and one I have not been able to obtain. Other than those it's a modern series. Odd Agatha's great character was not a star of the 30's and 40's. Going to re-watch Finney Orient Express tonight as my little remembrance.

I'm really enjoying your TV review stuff. I enjoy many of the older Brit series and you have introduced me to a couple I had never heard of.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
We have been watching a lot of Agatha Christie stuff the last couple of weeks. I almost did a summary on Poirot but the set of movies done in the 1930's contain two lost films and one I have not been able to obtain. Other than those it's a modern series. Odd Agatha's great character was not a star of the 30's and 40's. Going to re-watch Finney Orient Express tonight as my little remembrance.
The PBS Poirot series starring David Suchet was one of the few interstitial convergences of mutual TV watching with my wife--she adores the series. I hadn't seen the Albert Finney character until after being exposed to Suchet--who, in my mind like Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes, was the definitive Poirot.
I have never seen the early 30's version of the Poirot mysteries that featured Austin Trevor--but I'd sure like to.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Sidekicks
220px-Allen_Jenkins_in_Havana_Widows_trailer.jpg

With his NY accent and street wise persona Allen Jenkins was perfect for supporting character roles. Born at the start of the century in 1900 as Alfred McGonegal, Allen attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts to hone his craft. He started in Broadway musicals and plays at the start of the roaring 20’s but didn’t get into films until 1931. Although he appeared at many studios, he made so many films for Warner that he was sometimes referred to as “the fifth Warner brother”. He often played dimwits but still always had a street smart attitude. His easy going humorous style went well as the nefarious sidekick for the Falcon as the first of many “Goldie” Lockes but also played a policeman in Torchy Blane and detective in Perry Mason.

6419-2.jpg

"Goldie" Locke in the Falcon

jenkins-ww-tears.jpg

"Spudsy" Drake in Perry Mason

Allen appears in this thread for his many roles in 30’s and 40’s mystery series.

Falcon
Falcon Takes Over
Date With the Falcon
The Gay Falcon

Torchy Blane
Playing with Dynamite

Perry Mason
Case of Lucky Legs
Case of Curious Bride
Case of Howling Dog

Sarah Keate
While the Patient Slept

Allen appeared in many movies in the 30’ and 40’s but as the roles started to thin he went to television. Even here he was a regular in Crime and Mystery series appearing in shows such as Mr. & Mrs. North, Boston Blackie, and Racket Squad.

All I can add is Allen always made me smile and often laugh. He was one of the great character actors that graced the silver screen in the golden age of Hollywood.

Found this short tribute clip on youtube.

Allen died July 20, 1974 just 11 days after his final performance in Billy Wilder’s remake of The Front Page.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One of those great recognizable faces that turned up in movie after movie of the Golden Age. Hollywood had great stars, but these dozens of reliable character actors gave films their spit and polish, and we'd all be the poorer without them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One of those great recognizable faces that turned up in movie after movie of the Golden Age. Hollywood had great stars, but these dozens of reliable character actors gave films their spit and polish, and we'd all be the poorer without them.
He was and his work on TV was pretty good too especially on I Love Lucy.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Sidekicks
220px-Allen_Jenkins_in_Havana_Widows_trailer.jpg

With his NY accent and street wise persona Allen Jenkins was perfect for supporting character roles. Born at the start of the century in 1900 as Alfred McGonegal, Allen attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts to hone his craft. He started in Broadway musicals and plays at the start of the roaring 20’s but didn’t get into films until 1931. Although he appeared at many studios, he made so many films for Warner that he was sometimes referred to as “the fifth Warner brother”. He often played dimwits but still always had a street smart attitude. His easy going humorous style went well as the nefarious sidekick for the Falcon as the first of many “Goldie” Lockes but also played a policeman in Torchy Blane and detective in Perry Mason.

6419-2.jpg

"Goldie" Locke in the Falcon

jenkins-ww-tears.jpg

"Spudsy" Drake in Perry Mason

Allen appears in this thread for his many roles in 30’s and 40’s mystery series.

Falcon
Falcon Takes Over
Date With the Falcon
The Gay Falcon

Torchy Blane
Playing with Dynamite

Perry Mason
Case of Lucky Legs
Case of Curious Bride
Case of Howling Dog

Sarah Keate
While the Patient Slept

Allen appeared in many movies in the 30’ and 40’s but as the roles started to thin he went to television. Even here he was a regular in Crime and Mystery series appearing in shows such as Mr. & Mrs. North, Boston Blackie, and Racket Squad.

All I can add is Allen always made me smile and often laugh. He was one of the great character actors that graced the silver screen in the golden age of Hollywood.

Found this short tribute clip on youtube.

Allen died July 20, 1974 just 11 days after his final performance in Billy Wilder’s remake of The Front Page.

Awesome subject matter, Marv! I hope you continue a commentary on sidekicks from this era. These are the guys setting the tone that eventually bled forward into TV series: the Lone Ranger and his Tonto, Cisco Kid and Pancho, Roy Rogers and Pat Brady, and later on---Barney Fife, Robin, Kato, Gabrielle, Dano, Agent 99 and on and on...

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
We've been busy with some other projects and trying to catch up on some TV and newer movies so I am behind on reviews for this thread. So in the mean time here is another character actor piece.
Sidekicks
e3794e41fa5e41995aa276bacd40a71b.jpg

George E Stone (Gerschon Lichtenstein)
Born 1903 (other sources vary from 1900 – 1903) Lodz Poland
Died 1967 L.A. California - complications from a stroke

IMDB describes him as a Runyon-esque minor prototype with his dees, dems, and dos style and associates and it fits. It turns out he was, in fact, a close friend of Damon Runyon. At five foot three inches he was not destined to be a lead actor but another of the wonderful character actors that formed the glue that held many a production together. His diminutive form made him perfect for the second guy, the sidekick, the henchman.

tumblr_mmz992umFf1s5o8nro1_1280.jpg

He started out in 1927 in the silent film Seventh Heaven where his character was named the Sewer Rat. He continued to be cast as crooks, thugs, and gangster types for most of his career with names like Velvet Smith, Slinky, Dippy, Tough Tony and Toothpick Charlie and, of course, the Runt. He was Polish and Jewish so in true Hollywood style he played a lot of Italian, New York, mob types. He could play both sides of this characterization though. In many, he was a slime-ball, sometimes the craven coward, sometimes one to be feared. In fact, in many movies he wound up dead before the end and no one cried. But he also could invoke a wonderful comedic side and be amiable and even endearing as when he played the Runt in the Boston Blackie movies. In many of these George would dress as a kid or a lady or some other silly situation. He was versatile and could play dialects and even did some dancing in vaudeville and on Broadway. These talents kept him very busy during the 30’s and 40’s.

4469-025_large.jpg

I’ll always associate him with Boston Blackie but for most he may be best remembered as Rico’s (Edward G. Robinson) right hand man Otero in Little Ceasar.

MV5BNTQwNDA0MDkwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDU1MzQyNw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1371,1000_AL_.jpg

George makes it into this thread with many entries:

Philo Vance
Dragon Murder Case

Torchy Blane
Adventurous Blonde

Mr. Moto
Mr. Moto’s Gamble

Boston Blackie
Confessions of Boston Blackie
Alias Boston Blackie
Boston Blackie Goes Hollywood
After Midnight
Chance of a Lifetime
One Mysterious Night
BB Booked on Suspicion
BB Rendezvous
A Close Call for BB
The Phantom Thief
BB and the Law

As with so many of our B movie stars, the roles started to thin out and he went to television for work. Series included: Mr. & Mrs. North – The Falcon- Superman – Perry Mason – 77 Sunset Strip.

His eyesight was failing and by the late 1950’s he was almost blind but many friends saw that he got minor roles in various TV productions. You’ll see him as a clerk in several Perry Mason episodes. The cast and crew would have to lead him around the set and see that he got the part and paid – their tribute to a beloved actor.

Stone_e62.jpg
Clerk in Perry Mason

Here's a short trailer for Boston Blackie with a couple of shots of George.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks