1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Mystery & Crime Series 30's & 40's

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mysto, Apr 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    A gaggle of squealing girls can sometimes be just the ticket for a film, e.g. Bye Bye Birdie, A Hard Day's Night and some Elvis Presley opuses.
    But I digress from the subject matter of this thread....
    I found it somewhat sad that Tom Conway (George Sander's look-alike brother and subsequent debonair lead in the Falcon series) was an incurable alcoholic by 1965 and living in a $2-a-day room in a Los Angeles flophouse.

upload_2019-1-7_12-48-54. upload_2019-1-7_12-49-58.
    Tom Conway and George Sanders

Jeff Flugel and criblecoblis like this.
  2. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    And you're getting perilously close to that magical 1,000 "Likes" benchmark.
    Keep it going, bro.

criblecoblis likes this.
  3. Mysto

Mysto Supporting Actor

marv long
    Ah! What can I say. They like you more than me.:P

criblecoblis likes this.
  4. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Nah. I just have more posts. On a ratio basis, you're well on track.
    You're the 3M-- Mystery Maven Mysto.

criblecoblis likes this.
  5. Message #605 of 801 Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Cheers, Marv, glad to know my ramblings have been of some use!
    500 posts - woo-hoo! Will try and contribute a few more to help get this thread to 1,000.

criblecoblis likes this.
  6. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Amen to this, Russ! While I love the in-thread facilities of this forum, the thread organization is virtually un-navigable. I've tried several times to find threads on other subjects, with no results other than extreme frustration. I recall that I couldn't even find this thread until Marv provided a direct link.

Mysto and Rustifer like this.
  7. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Yes, a very sad end for a likeable actor. As I've said before, while I'm a great admirer of George Sanders, I think Tom Conway makes for a superior Falcon. He also turned in fine performances in several other films, including Cat People, The Seventh Victim and I Walked with a Zombie for Val Lewton.

At least he made it to 62. Poor, sad Gail Russell (who I just watched the other day in the Randolph Scott western Seven Men From Now) drank herself to an early grave. She was only 36.

[​IMG]

8. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Hey, Marv---it's okay if you don't agree with some of my views. You can let me know. I mean, don't get nasty about it or anything--but I enjoy a spirited tête-à-tête discussion. There are more than just a few of my posts in the 77 SS thread that get gleefully thown back at me by participants as wrong or skewed or whatever.

I don't take umbrage to this.
    I just calmly find out where these people live and send a large individual by the name of Vinny to their home to "discuss" our differences...

[​IMG]
    Vinny.

criblecoblis, Jeff Flugel and Mysto like this.
  9. Message #609 of 801 Jan 8, 2019
    Mysto

Mysto Supporting Actor

marv long
    Dr. Fu Manchu

[​IMG]
    Warner Oland

The Mysterious Dr. Fu Manchu (1929)
    The Return of Dr. Fu Manchu (1930)
    Daughter of the Dragon (1931)

[​IMG]
    Boris Karloff

Mask of Fu Manchu – 1932

[​IMG]
    Henry Brandon

Drums of Fu Manchu – 1943 feature of 1940 serial

[​IMG]
    Christopher Lee

The Face of Fu Manchu – 1965
    The Brides of Fu Manchu – 1966
    The Vengeance of Fu Manchu – 1967
    The Blood of Fu Manchu – 1968
    The Castle of Fu Manchu - 1969

[​IMG]
    Peter Sellers

The Fiendish Plot of Fu Manchu – 1980 Spoof

Sax Rohmer created the evil genius Chinese Fu Manchu in a series of novels starting in 1913. A criminal mastermind with a mastery of hypnosis and an inexhaustible knowledge of poisons. So started a legend of both the villain and the moustache.

We have had a discussion about racial stereotypes in many of these B movies. I have stated that in most of them I didn’t think they were or at least not intentionally. This series is different as it was born as a racial stereotype in a response to the perceived “Yellow Peril” in the early 20th century. When Rohmer wrote the first Dr. Fu Manchu novel, he claimed that he got the idea when he queried an Ouija board about the greatest threat to the white man and the response was CHINAMAN. This master villain creation sold over 20 million books. The crime action series appeared on the silver screen as early as 1923 with two silent serials – Mystery of Dr. Fu Manchu and Further Mysteries of Dr. Fu Manchu the following year (now both lost films). Sound films followed soon after in 1929 starring first Warner Oland for three outings and then Boris Karloff did a one off. Another serial was born in 1940 and Wikipedia reports that the US State Department asked for a halt on further productions (Remember China was our Ally in WWII). They claim it didn’t surface again until 1965 when Hammer films revived the super evildoer for a series of horror films starring Christopher Lee. That appears to be untrue. A feature film version of Drums of Fu Manchu was released in 1943 apparently in spite of the request of the State Department.

This series is one of the reasons why I am kinder to Charlie Chan than some of the critics. In Fu Manchu and in fact pretty much all of the early American cinema, Asians were portrayed as villains. People that were odd – different – not to be trusted. In Charlie Chan we find the Asian is not only the good guy, the smart hero, but someone we can rely on to help and protect us. America was growing up.

The last film in the Fu Manchu series, The Fiendish Plot of Fu Manchu, was a spoof by Peter Sellers (His last film). Some found it an offensive stereotype (it definitely is not politically correct ) – I found it making fun of, not the race, but the character (Fu Manchu) as the world had come to realize that Fu no more represented Asians than Ming the Merciless from Mongo did. I think this film signaled we’d moved on. Fu Manchu had become just a villain from a long list of villains from all over the world.

From here on out we will move on from this discussion and look at these as films. These are characters in a story, and for me, have no relationship to reality. If you find them hurtful or offensive, I would move on to other series. These films are history for better or worse and I think we have grown and gotten better.

As we already mentioned Fu Manchu movies started with a pair of lost silent serials in the early20’s but the sound films first made it to the screen in 1929. This was very early in the sound film era (so early the first one was released in both a sound and a silent version so that theaters not yet equipped for sound could screen it) and it shows in the production. There were three films (four if you count the short in Paramount on Parade) starring Warner Oland. This is very significant for us mystery series buffs as he would go on to play the first Charlie Chan. I’m sure his success as an Asian in this series helped him get the part as Charlie Chan.

In the first outing, The Mysterious Fu Manchu, a motive is given for his fiendish attacks. He is a friend and trusted by the English (in fact an officer sends his daughter to be in his care) but during the boxer rebellion a British shell kills his wife and son. He vows vengeance on the families of the British officers involved for three generations. I found the movie to be a little hard for watching. Being a very early sound film the acting is stage bound. The sound recording is so poor they were complaining about it in Harrison’s 1929 movie reviews. The performances can be over the top reminding one more of an early play than a movie. The butler, William Austin, was intended as comic relief. He might have been a real knee slapper in 1929 but just comes across as silly now. I did find the story mostly kept my attention but the pacing was uneven, and I felt Neil Hamilton and Jean Arthur did a good job. This will never be a favorite of mine but it gets a 7 on IMDB so others must like it more than I. If you are into older films and can overlook their quirks you may enjoy this and the remainder of the Oland series. It is fun to see what Warner was doing before Chan.

[​IMG]
    Jean Arthur fills the female supporting lead with grace and beauty.

The next actor to play Fu was Boris Karlof in Mask of Fu Manchu. He had already played Mr. Wong in the self named series. This movie became infamous later when it was re-released in 1972 and gained protests from a Japanese group complaining it was racist toward Asians.

The film is the real bad boy of the group and if you are looking for PC move on. It is wonderfully camp with Boris chewing on the scenery and can be a romp if you view it that way. I would watch it again just to see lovely Myrna Loy in one of her many “exotic” roles before the glorious Thin Man series.

[​IMG]
    Did I mention it had Myrna Loy in it?

[​IMG]

Next came the serial Drums of Fu Manchu released in 1940 and re-released as a feature in 1943. Here’s a short clip from chapter 5 from youtube. Judge for yourself.

The series lay dormant for over twenty years until Hammer resurrected it. These are no longer what I would consider vintage mysteries but are closer to the spate of 60’s spy movies spawned by the James Bond craze. If you like Chris Lee – if you like Hammer – you’ll probably like these, others may want to check one out before buying the entire series. Low budget action crime thrillers in the Hammer style but more fist fights than blood. These get 5’s on IMDB and I agree not terrible but not great. Take a look at the trailer:

In the 50’s there was a 13 episode TV series, The Adventures of Fu Manchu. I think they are kinda fun.

The Oland movies appear to not be available from commercial sources so you’ll have to buy from alternate sources. NBC Universal apparently owns Mysterious Dr. Fu Manchu and has blocked it on youtube but has not seen fit to release it.

Daughter of the Dragon is on Youtube and for sale on Amazon from third party sellers.

Mask of Fu Manchu is available as part of a collection on Amazon and is available for rent on youtube.

Drums of Fu Manchu serial is available at Amazon. I haven’t found a source for the movie version.

The Hammer series is available separately or as a set commercially.

Vengence of Fu Manchu is on archive.org

The TV series is on youtube and can be purchased on dvd from various sources.

10. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Excellent, Marv--as always!
    I especially like your tidbit about Sax Rohmer's character being born from a Ouija Board, though I'm still pondering the correct grammatical use of "an" versus "a" as a definite article before 'Ouija'. Seems as if "a" speaks better than "an". Picky, picky, picky.
    It has been a long while since I've seen a Fu Manchu movie, and I'm now inspired to watch one of the earlier ones again to see what I think about it. I agree with you that Charlie Chan films were not only more politically correct, but also more theatrically sound.

criblecoblis and Jeff Flugel like this.
  11. Message #611 of 801 Jan 8, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Great stuff as always, Marv! I see you haven't lost your mojo when it comes to these overviews.

I've read some of the Fu Manchu books but haven't seen the Karloff Mask of...need to remedy that some day. I do quite like the first of the 60s Fu Manchu movies, Face of Fu Manchu. Set in the 1920s with good period detail, nice action and a solid cast, including Lee, Nigel Green, Joachim Fuchsberger, Karin Dor and Tsai Chin (coincidentally, both Bond girls in You Only Live Twice). Here's a piece I did on the film:

http://thestalkingmoon.weebly.com/the-stalking-moon/chop-suey-bond-the-face-of-fu-manchu-1965

The sequels to this one get progressively worse and worse (the last few directed by schlockmeister Jess Franco).

criblecoblis and Rustifer like this.
  12. Message #612 of 801 Jan 8, 2019
    Mysto

Mysto Supporting Actor

marv long
    General rule for "an" as I remember is proceeding a vowel sound. i.e. An apple. I never understood the British use of An Historic occasion but maybe it's because they drop their H's.

So maybe it depends on how you pronounce Ouija - OhWeeGee or WeeGee?

The proceeding has been my feeble understanding and in no way should be considered as my knowing anything. If you follow the lost you get what you deserve.

criblecoblis likes this.
  13. Mysto

Mysto Supporting Actor

marv long
    I had read most of your stuff but forgot you had done a piece on Fu Manchu. Well done as always.
    Mask of Fu Manchu is so over the top that it's a must see for those that don't take offense. The first reveal of Karloff with his face distorted in the mirror. Karloff bending electric bolts with his bare hands. It just goes on and on. And Myrna smiling as she bids they whip the prisoner faster. They don't make them like that any more - and probably wouldn't be allowed even if they wanted to.

14. Message #614 of 801 Jan 8, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I have never heard anyone pronounce Ouija as OhWeeGee.
    Answer your door, Marv. Vinny's just arrived.

criblecoblis, Mysto and Jeff Flugel like this.
  15. Mysto

Mysto Supporting Actor

marv long
    :rolling-smiley:

criblecoblis and Jeff Flugel like this.
  16. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    That is correct.

Mysto likes this.
  17. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Two vowels in succession, each belonging to a different word, require some sort of consonantal separation to maintain intelligibility when spoken.

Just saying.

Mysto and Rustifer like this.
  18. Message #618 of 801 Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    The Professor has weighed in. Somebody has to put a check on our grammatical rambunctiousness.

Mysto likes this.
  19. Message #619 of 801 Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Mysto

Mysto Supporting Actor

marv long
    Grammarians!... Grammarians!
    We don't need no stinkin' pedantic; persnickety; puritanical and prescriptivist poppycock grammarians! :D

We is movie peoples!

Rob and Russ - this thread would be a lot less fun without you guys!

Rustifer likes this.
  20. ponset

ponset Second Unit

scott
    Mysto and Jeff Flugel like this.