What's new

Mystery & Crime Series 30's & 40's (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
OK Matt - you didn't tell us if you liked it:P If you're going to mention it - don't need a review but at least a :thumbsdown: :thumbsup:
Well, I went on at length about it today in the "Thanks, Universal" thread on the Blu-ray/UHD forum since the disc was a Blu-ray. Have seen the movie several times, love it as a wonderful mystery, and the Blu-ray transfer was outstanding.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
So, if I'm going to jump into this forum's sandbox, I might as well wax lyrically about my MOST favorite example from this time period: The Thin Man. This is not so much a review as I do for 77 SS episodes or how Marv so knowledgably approaches his posts here---just some personal observations.

The minute I heard this interplay: "I was shot twice in theTribune," Nick observes. "I read you were shot five times in the tabloids," says Nora. "It's not true," says Nick. "He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids," I was hooked for good. For a film produced in 1934, it certainly was progressive in its dialogue. I usually don't laugh out loud at stuff produced in this time period.
The script interaction between William Powell and Myrna Loy I figure is one of the greatest in Hollywood history. Ever notice that Nick is seemingly always leaning toward Nora while talking as if being magnetized to her core? Even as a perpetual drinker, he never stumbles and is no less urbane and witty due to over consumption. God knows, I wish I could develop that kind of finesse after my third martini. The worst thing I can hear after an evening of indulgence is my wife saying "I can't believe what you said to Irv last night". Neither can I since I generally don't remember. But since Irv still comes over, I guess I didn't entirely burn through the friendship. "A dry martini, you always shake to waltz time..."
My favorite guest stars in the movie are Maureen O'Sullivan (Tarzan's original Jane), and the nearly always perplexed Nat Pendleton as a cop.

images
images

Maureen O'Sullivan displaying why Tarzan picked her as his mate. William Powell with Nat Pendleton

Nat's Hollywood file must have been marked CHARACTER ACTOR COP since that seems to be his most prevalent role in films.
"Can't you tell me anything about the case?" Nat asks Nick. "Yes. It's putting me way behind on my drinking". Touche.
Took me years and about a dozen viewings of the movie before I realized that the "thin man" wasn't referring to William Powell, but rather Edward Ellis as the disappeared inventor.
Just once I wish I had the opportunity at an overblown family Thanksgiving dinner to say "Honey, will you serve the nuts? I mean, will you serve the guests the nuts?" Priceless.
As a kid, my first exposure to the Thin Man was the TV series (1957-1959) with Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk which I thought was as cool as cool can be. However that didn't hold a candle once I saw the actual Powell-Loy pairing. As Robert Ebert wrote in 2002, William Powell is to dialogue as Fred Astaire is to dance. I'm pretty sure no one ever said that about Peter Lawford.

NOTE: I haven't had the chance to read all the posts in this thread yet, so I apologize in advance if I've stepped all over or repeated someone else's take on this subject.

Welcome to the thread, Russ! Great post, couldn't agree with you more about the wonderfulness of The Thin Man and William Powell. Just class acts all the way. I like all six Thin Man films, but there's no denying that after the second film (as good in its own way as the first, IMO), the characters of Nick and Nora settle into more of an "old married couple" vibe and some of the crackle and spark goes out of their relationship, and the films. Still good fun, and some good mysteries, but certainly not in the same league as The Thin Man and After the Thin Man.

As much praise as Powell deserves, Myrna Loy was integral to the series' success. Those two just had a one-of-a-kind chemistry. The one-off Powell mysteries, Star of Midnight and The Ex-Mrs. Bradford, while fine, fun comedy-mysteries in the same mold, with great leading ladies, just don't sing like the Thin Man films do - and I think that's down mostly to a lack of Loy.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I've noticed that besides the Thin Man series, Charlie Chan seems to be a big topic in this neck 'o the woods.
I've been a Chan Fan for many a year--mainly for its tongue-in-cheek noirish quality that was achieved by so many B films of the era.

True Fact: I had the honor of sewing up a win in a Trivia game contest by being able to name the creator of Mr. Chan, Earl Derr Biggers. No one else came close. This being a crowning moment for me is a sad indictment of my life as a bachelor prior getting married to my lovely spouse 35 years ago. As an aside, she thought 'Earl Derr Biggers' was a pet nickname for my you-know-what. Ahhh, inventive girl indeed.

"Short, round and dark" as he was described by his wife, Biggers said at his 25th class reunion. "I am quite sure that I never intended to travel the road of a mystery writer. Yet here I am, and with me Charlie Chan. Thank heaven he is amiable, philosophical--a good companion. For I know now that he and I must travel the rest of the journey together."

upload_2018-7-11_10-29-26.jpeg

Biggers tried desperately to avoid painting Chan with a pidgin English characterization, yet it unfortunately seeped into the lexicon in the movie versions. He did draw the line, however, by having Charlie exclaim "By the bones of my honorable ancestors, I will not say velly..."
Rumor was that Biggers based Chan on Chang Apana, a Hawaiian police detective who for some strange reason wielded a bullwhip as a kind of iconic trademark, lived on Punchbowl Hill (wherever the heck that it) and had a slew of kids. Earl never confirmed it, but always sent Apana signed copies of his newest novels.

So, I'm sure you regulars in here have had the inevitable debate: Warner Oland or Sidney Toler?
images
upload_2018-7-11_10-40-6.jpeg

Warner and Sydney respectively, without the guise of their meal ticket

Oland (who was actually Swedish) needed very little cosmetics to achieve Chan's oriental visage; it was said all he would do is curl down his moustache and curl up his eyebrows.
I'm putting my money on Warner, mainly because he drank and smoked himself to death. Gotta like a guy who walks the tightrope of life without a net.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I've noticed that besides the Thin Man series, Charlie Chan seems to be a big topic in this neck 'o the woods.
I've been a Chan Fan for many a year--mainly for its tongue-in-cheek noirish quality that was achieved by so many B films of the era.

True Fact: I had the honor of sewing up a win in a Trivia game contest by being able to name the creator of Mr. Chan, Earl Derr Biggers. No one else came close. This being a crowning moment for me is a sad indictment of my life as a bachelor prior getting married to my lovely spouse 35 years ago. As an aside, she thought 'Earl Derr Biggers' was a pet nickname for my you-know-what. Ahhh, inventive girl indeed.

"Short, round and dark" as he was described by his wife, Biggers said at his 25th class reunion. "I am quite sure that I never intended to travel the road of a mystery writer. Yet here I am, and with me Charlie Chan. Thank heaven he is amiable, philosophical--a good companion. For I know now that he and I must travel the rest of the journey together."

View attachment 47623

Biggers tried desperately to avoid painting Chan with a pidgin English characterization, yet it unfortunately seeped into the lexicon in the movie versions. He did draw the line, however, by having Charlie exclaim "By the bones of my honorable ancestors, I will not say velly..."
Rumor was that Biggers based Chan on Chang Apana, a Hawaiian police detective who for some strange reason wielded a bullwhip as a kind of iconic trademark, lived on Punchbowl Hill (wherever the heck that it) and had a slew of kids. Earl never confirmed it, but always sent Apana signed copies of his newest novels.

So, I'm sure you regulars in here have had the inevitable debate: Warner Oland or Sidney Toler?
images
View attachment 47624

Oland (who was actually Swedish) needed very little cosmetics to achieve Chan's oriental visage; it was said all he would do is curl down his moustache and curl up his eyebrows.
I'm putting my money on Warner, mainly because he drank and smoked himself to death. Gotta like a guy who walks the tightrope of life without a net.
I'm just a Sidney Tolar kinda guy. Had great chemistry with Victor Sen Yung, although special place in my heart for "Number One Son" Keye Luke.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long

View attachment 47623

images
View attachment 47624

Oland also claimed Mongolian ancestry as part of his look (eyes).
Added: There was an extra on one of the DVD's that showed CC at the Race Track. Oland is supposed to watch the horses go past. They claimed he was so drunk they had to fire a pistol to get him to look to the other side. (and they paid him too)
I'll never think of Earl Derr Biggers the same way again - in fact I may try to forget him completely;)
Really hasn't been the which one debate - for me either one anytime - Winters only on occasion.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Well, heck. I took some time and went back through the pages of this thread only to discover most of my posts so far are old news to you guys. Here I am thinking I'm spreading light, harmony and knowledge. Just slap me in the face and call me Betty.
Never one to give up (especially in this way cool category), I promise to try to be less repetitive and more original in my subject matter going forward.

images

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Well, heck. I took some time and went back through the pages of this thread only to discover most of my posts so far are old news to you guys. Here I am thinking I'm spreading light, harmony and knowledge. Just slap me in the face and call me Betty.
Never one to give up (especially in this way cool category), I promise to try to be less repetitive and more original going forward.

images
I've enjoyed your views on every post Russ and I'm sure the others have as well. This isn't just about facts but opinions - likes - dislikes - thoughts - and all the BS we can muster.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I'm just a Sidney Tolar kinda guy. Had great chemistry with Victor Sen Yung, although special place in my heart for "Number One Son" Keye Luke.
I'm with you, Richard, regarding Keye Luke. He and I share a similar history--we both started our careers as commercial artists. Keye painted the murals inside Graumann's Chinese Theater, as well as many movie posters.

upload_2018-7-11_12-0-29.jpeg
upload_2018-7-11_12-0-46.jpeg

As for me, I was doing editorial art for magazines and advertising illustrations for ad agencies for nearly 20 years in Chicago and Indianapolis.

IMG_0005.jpg

Original art for one of my covers for a magazine. For those of you who have a Mad Magazine fetish, you'll recognize my bent towards Jack Davis.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Welcome to the thread, Russ! Great post, couldn't agree with you more about the wonderfulness of The Thin Man and William Powell. Just class acts all the way. I like all six Thin Man films, but there's no denying that after the second film (as good in its own way as the first, IMO), the characters of Nick and Nora settle into more of an "old married couple" vibe and some of the crackle and spark goes out of their relationship, and the films. Still good fun, and some good mysteries, but certainly not in the same league as The Thin Man and After the Thin Man.

As much praise as Powell deserves, Myrna Loy was integral to the series' success. Those two just had a one-of-a-kind chemistry. The one-off Powell mysteries, Star of Midnight and The Ex-Mrs. Bradford, while fine, fun comedy-mysteries in the same mold, with great leading ladies, just don't sing like the Thin Man films do - and I think that's down mostly to a lack of Loy.
Ohhh, yes...the lovely Myrna!
I recently stumbled across an article about her and Henry Fonda from the NY Times in 1981. The Boston ABC affiliate wanted to enact a Bill Phillip's script "Summer Solstice" for a 1 hour special and was astounded that Henry Fonda asked for a role in the play. He had just finished "On Golden Pond", which had many similarities to "Summer Solstice". Even more astounding to the network was his offer to bring along his old friend Myrna Loy as his co-star. Needless to say, the station producers had to run home and change their underwear from an undue overload of excitement.
"Acting for the first time together in their long careers, Mr. Fonda and Ms. Loy demonstrate splendidly why they remain stars" states the NY Times review.

upload_2018-7-11_12-32-6.jpeg

The special was shot in Cape Cod. Sadly, It was to be both Myrna's and Henry's last roles.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Well we could do this same argument in a western thread about white people playing native Americans. Welcome to America in the 30's and 40's (and the 50's and 60's). It is what it is. It's history - the studios did what was required to put butts in seats. Put people the public knew in the staring roles. Seen against todays morality it appears sad but I'm sure much of what we are doing now will look the same in 50 years.
I quite agree, Marv. I look at it this way: when watching an old film that includes racial stereotyping or insensitivity, it helps me to understand what minorities had to face at the time, and I rejoice in how far we have come since then.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Actually, these sound as if they are right up my alley.
Different lids for different pots.:P
Even though Vic (Bryan) didn't care for them - I think the Torchy Blaine series does a better job at this type of movie. My moods change and marginal programs move in and out of favor so tomorrow it might be my cup of tea as well. (But CC - Thin Man - Marple stay there forever):rock:

Good to have you in the discussion.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
The Falcon
6419-2.jpg

George Sanders

The Gay Falcon
A Date with the Falcon
The Falcon Takes Over

6586-2.jpg

Tom Conway

The Falcon’s Brother
The Falcon Strikes Back
The Falcon and the Coeds
The Falcon in Danger
The Falcon in Hollywood
The Falcon in Mexico
The Falcon Out West
The Falcon in San Francisco
The Falcon’s Alibi
The Falcon’s Adventure

images

John Calvert

Devil’s Cargo
An Appointment with Murder
Search for Danger

We really can’t do a review of The Saint without doing a review of The Falcon. The Saint appeared in print over a decade before Michael Arlen published the first Falcon story in Town and Country magazine. RKO bought the rights and brought the character to the screen less than a year later removing George Sanders from the Saint role and making him Gay Lawrence the Falcon. These were more or less copies of the Saint, only adding a sidekick and making his source of income a little more ambiguous. So similar, they sparked a plagiarism lawsuit by Saint author Leslie Charteris.

The Falcon movies started with an oncoming marriage that never consummates (shades of Bulldog Drummond). Watching the first three Falcons is like watching the Saint with a sidekick. The accomplice was Goldie Locke who was in all the Sanders films but only occasionally appeared in the Conway flicks.

Goldie Locke –Allen Jenkins played in the all Sander’s Falcons

Other Goldies in the Conway series were played by:
Vince Barnett
Don Barclay
Edward Brophy
Cliff Edwards

Someone posted the TCM intro to the Gay Falcon on youtube –as it is just a clip for educational purposes I think it meets the guidelines here.

George Sanders was tired of the B movies and the Falcon. He was fast becoming an A picture star and after three pictures he left on the fourth, appearing in The Falcon’s Brother almost as a cameo. His brother Tom Lawrence took on the Falcon mantle and the really neat part… it was Sanders real brother Tom Conway.

Tom Conway’s Falcon is enjoyable. Many series fade when the star is replaced but the Conway Falcon series continued for 9 more movies. Just like George, Tom Conway’s Falcon is smooth and has a wonderful English accent. It’s hard to explain the differences between Sanders and Conway but they are both alike and different. Conway is a little more straight forward, a little less droll, and perhaps even more of a ladies man. Where Sanders showed almost a nonchalant boredom (perhaps he was) Conway’s Falcon has an energy that also served him well in his stint in his two Bulldog Drummond outings. George may arguably be the better actor but the Falcon series actually became more popular when Tom took the helm. My take – I enjoy them both and this series is one of my favorites and I have watched all of them multiple times.

The RKO series Falcons ended in 1946 but in 1948 the series was resurrected with Falcon Pictures Corporation with the Falcon becoming Michael Waring (the same name carried in the TV series). This set of three poverty row productions starred stage magician John Calvert. These were very cheaply made in a matter of just a couple of days each and it shows in sets, acting, and music. I was lucky to have spent some time with John and he was a fascinating man – he flew his own airplanes – starred in movies – sailed the Bahamas with a bunch of women performing magic shows – the list goes on and on. When I met him he celebrated his 90th birthday doing a magic show for several hundred people. He died a few years ago at age 104. But – he was not the best Falcon by a long shot. IMO these movies are not that strong and only real fans of B mysteries need apply. You might want to watch the first one just to see him perform some magic. The director needed padding so John did some tricks from his show.

The Falcon went on to live in the 40 episode TV Series with Charles McGraw playing Michael Waring the Falcon from 1954-55 transforming into a government agent. (Don’t get this confused with the 2012 TV series Falcon by a different author)

The Sanders and Conway Falcons are available from WAC.

Devil’s Cargo with John Calvert is on youtube and Archive.org – the other two – you’ll have to hunt for.

Some of the Falcon TV series is on you tube and you can watch Tom Conway as another TV detective Mark Sabre on youtube as well

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Having gone through the Conway/Falcons recently, I can certainly attest they are usually entertaining but there are occasional stumbles that we have to endure to enjoy what else the films have to offer. I need to rewatch the Sanders/Falcons at some point.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Having gone through the Conway/Falcons recently, I can certainly attest they are usually entertaining but there are occasional stumbles that we have to endure to enjoy what else the films have to offer. I need to rewatch the Sanders/Falcons at some point.
Thanks Matt - We have very much enjoyed the comments on the individual films as you were watching. Like all movie series - some are better than others and like all "B's" there are occasionally warts.:lol:
Please keep posting your comments and views (and get that HDMI fixed - ouch!)

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I have been through and enjoyed the Falcon series and as a general statement found the Sanders Falcon movies to be slightly more preferable as George Sanders was, I think, better able to bring the "roguish" charm.

Regards,

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
The Falcon
6419-2.jpg

George Sanders

The Gay Falcon
A Date with the Falcon
The Falcon Takes Over

6586-2.jpg

Tom Conway

The Falcon’s Brother
The Falcon Strikes Back
The Falcon and the Coeds
The Falcon in Danger
The Falcon in Hollywood
The Falcon in Mexico
The Falcon Out West
The Falcon in San Francisco
The Falcon’s Alibi
The Falcon’s Adventure

images

John Calvert

Devil’s Cargo
An Appointment with Murder
Search for Danger

We really can’t do a review of The Saint without doing a review of The Falcon. The Saint appeared in print over a decade before Michael Arlen published the first Falcon story in Town and Country magazine. RKO bought the rights and brought the character to the screen less than a year later removing George Sanders from the Saint role and making him Gay Lawrence the Falcon. These were more or less copies of the Saint, only adding a sidekick and making his source of income a little more ambiguous. So similar, they sparked a plagiarism lawsuit by Saint author Leslie Charteris.

The Falcon movies started with an oncoming marriage that never consummates (shades of Bulldog Drummond). Watching the first three Falcons is like watching the Saint with a sidekick. The accomplice was Goldie Locke who was in all the Sanders films but only occasionally appeared in the Conway flicks.

Goldie Locke –Allen Jenkins played in the all Sander’s Falcons

Other Goldies in the Conway series were played by:
Vince Barnett
Don Barclay
Edward Brophy
Cliff Edwards

Someone posted the TCM intro to the Gay Falcon on youtube –as it is just a clip for educational purposes I think it meets the guidelines here.

George Sanders was tired of the B movies and the Falcon. He was fast becoming an A picture star and after three pictures he left on the fourth, appearing in The Falcon’s Brother almost as a cameo. His brother Tom Lawrence took on the Falcon mantle and the really neat part… it was Sanders real brother Tom Conway.

Tom Conway’s Falcon is enjoyable. Many series fade when the star is replaced but the Conway Falcon series continued for 9 more movies. Just like George, Tom Conway’s Falcon is smooth and has a wonderful English accent. It’s hard to explain the differences between Sanders and Conway but they are both alike and different. Conway is a little more straight forward, a little less droll, and perhaps even more of a ladies man. Where Sanders showed almost a nonchalant boredom (perhaps he was) Conway’s Falcon has an energy that also served him well in his stint in his two Bulldog Drummond outings. George may arguably be the better actor but the Falcon series actually became more popular when Tom took the helm. My take – I enjoy them both and this series is one of my favorites and I have watched all of them multiple times.

The RKO series Falcons ended in 1946 but in 1948 the series was resurrected with Falcon Pictures Corporation with the Falcon becoming Michael Waring (the same name he carried in the TV series). This set of three poverty row productions starred stage magician John Calvert. These were very cheaply made in a matter of just a couple of days each and it shows in sets, acting, and music. I was lucky to have spent some time with John and he was a fascinating man – he flew his own airplanes – starred in movies – sailed the Bahamas with a bunch of women performing magic shows – the list goes on and on. When I met him he celebrated his 90th birthday doing a magic show for several hundred people. He died a few years ago at age 104. But – he was not the best Falcon by a long shot. IMO these movies are not that strong and only real fans of B mysteries need apply. You might want to watch the first one just to see him perform some magic. The director needed padding so John did some tricks from his show.

The Falcon went on to live in the 40 episode TV Series with Charles McGraw playing Michael Waring the Falcon from 1954-55 transforming into a government agent. (Don’t get this confused with the 2012 TV series Falcon by a different author)

The Sanders and Conway Falcons are available from WAC.

Devil’s Cargo with John Calvert is on youtube and Archive.org – the other two – you’ll have to hunt for.

Some of the Falcon TV series is on you tube and you can watch Tom Conway as another TV detective Mark Sabre on youtube as well

Excellent summary, Marv.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Excellent summary, Marv.
Thanks Russ. When I started this thread, it was my intent to do a summary on every one of the b movie mystery and crime series. The idea is to build a digest to perhaps help others to discover some new series that may be worth exploring.

The only downside is I think it may intimidate some others from posting. I hope not. I really want this thread to be a place where all can celebrate these fun movies. I enjoy every post (including those that disagree with my views or don't like a movie I like). It's fun to talk about one of my favorite things and to learn from others views. Just a post of - "I watched this and I liked it" makes me feel good.

I also don't want to force an order to the discussion. Sherlock Holmes was posted first in the thread but I would be happy to talk about him today. The summaries are only for reference not a start and stop of discussion.

I really have enjoyed your informative and funny posts so far. Thanks for joining in - you have enriched the thread.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Thanks Russ. When I started this thread, it was my intent to do a summary on every one of the b movie mystery and crime series. The idea is to build a digest to perhaps help others to discover some new series that may be worth exploring.

The only downside is I think it may intimidate some others from posting. I hope not. I really want this thread to be a place where all can celebrate these fun movies. I enjoy every post (including those that disagree with my views or don't like a movie I like). It's fun to talk about one of my favorite things and to learn from others views. Just a post of - "I watched this and I liked it" makes me feel good.

I also don't want to force an order to the discussion. Sherlock Holmes was posted first in the thread but I would be happy to talk about him today. The summaries are only for reference not a start and stop of discussion.

I really have enjoyed your informative and funny posts so far. Thanks for joining in - you have enriched the thread.
Since you mentioned Sherlock Holmes, I’m gonna jump in on that. Tomorrow.
I’ve got a 77 SS episode to catch up on right now. Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks