Myrtle Beach recommendations?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris_Morris, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

We leave in the morning for a weekend trip there, and would love any ideas (family type, non-golf except miniature).

Right now we are planning on the Medieval Times (this will be the highlight of the trip for me) and Barefoot Landing (my father-in-law would disown us if we didn't take my son there). And we've picked a few restaurants (Yokosho's Japanese, and the Seafare). Any other can't miss places or restaurants?

Chris

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

We own a condo in North Myrtle Beach at Ocean Creek Resort, directly across from Barefoot Landing. For restaurants, I would recommend Sam Snead's Grill (excellent food and lots of golf memorabilia), Cagney's and Chestnut Hill. They are all along Restaurant Row on King's Highway (north side of the strand). I would advise avoiding the all you can eat buffet places. The food is usually not that good.

For entertainment, check to see which acts are playing at the Alabama Theater and House Of Blues. Both are located in the Barefoot Landing complex, as is Dick's Last Resort, which also sometimes has live music. Also, the Ripley's Aquarium is worth a trip. It's located at Broadway At The Beach, which is on Bypass 17 just north of the airport. There is also an IMAX Theater at that complex. Finally, there is a Legends act with celebrity impersonators on the southern end of the strand.

3. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I was just down there a few weeks ago. Captain George's seafood buffet was excellent. It's right across the street (17 Bypass) from Broadway at the Beach and the aquarium.

4. Chris_Morris

Thanks for the input. Has anyone been to the Med. Times? We went to the Dixie Stampede in Pigeon Forge and loved it, this sounds even better based on their website. I think we'll skip the Ripley's stuff since we did that in Tennesse, and are trying to do something a bit different. I know there are alot of mini-golf places, but some have to be better than others (obstacles, ambience, etc.) so what are some good choices there?

There's alot of information online, but getting expierences by people who have been there beats any website or guidebook [​IMG]

Chris

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    This is my thread from last year asking a similar question. Lots of good stuff in there. My personal experiences:

Barefoot Landing [​IMG]
    Broadway at the Beach [​IMG]
    Carolina Opry [​IMG]
    Dixie Stampede [​IMG]
    Brookgreen Gardens [​IMG]
    Ripley's Aquarium [​IMG]

Tons of mini-golf places, though we never seemed to find time to stop and play. There's also a Nascar Cafe if you're a racing fan.

We did try one of the buffet places at the far northern end of the strand, it was OK. We also went to the Longhorn Steakhouse (not the chain, an independent) which was quite good. Generally, we found we had such big, late lunches that we were never hungry for supper. [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is a great time of year to be going. Traffic was minimal and there were no lines or delays for anything that I can remember.

6. Scott Merryfield

To me, at least, all the mini-golf places look about the same. They all seem to be built like a mountain or volcano. Now, if you want some recommendations on real golf courses, I can help you out.

7. Chris_Morris

Thanks Malcolm! The Carolina Opry sounded promising, what didn't you like about it? We decided that since we only had a few days, and my son has never seen the ocean, that we would limit ourselves to one big "show" type event, had we have picked two though, the Carolina Opry was going to be the other.

What is Brookgreen Gardens?

8. Scott Merryfield

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    From their website:

Brookgreen is the country's oldest and largest sculpture garden where some 550 works of American figurative sculpture are displayed throughout the Archer and Anna Hyatt Huntington Sculpture Garden, one of the most beautiful public gardens in the Southeast. In addition, there's a Lowcountry Trail with native wildlife exhibits as well as historical and cultural exhibits that reveal the distinctive life and land of Lowcountry Carolina. Tours and excursions are offered daily, as well as seasonal programs.

Probably not something you want to do if you're only going for a couple days with children. But it was amazing.

The Carolina Opry I think was just too corn-pone, hillbilly country for me. I felt like I was watching a live version of "Hee Haw." I like country music, but more of the modern variety I guess, and the comedy bits were all inane and imbecilic. I also found the theater to be uncomfortable (hot, too crowded, tiny hard seats, etc.).