What's new

My Yamaha RX-V730 Review (1 Viewer)

After checking sales material, net opinions, then having a demo against some competing units, I set my sights on saving for the Yamaha RX-V630 several months ago. A few weeks ago I realised I would be able to move up to the 730. And I am sure glad I did.
Sonically there is no difference between the 630 and 730. The only differences that the 730 has in addition to the 630 are:
On screen display
Phono input
Ability to adjust sound field parameters such as room size, live ness
Better remote with LCD
Aluminium front as opposed to plastic (I had not noticed this until it was pointed out to me after I had placed my order for the 730)
I had decided to upgrade my receiver from my entry level Sony 475 for the following reasons:
DPL II (for enhanced enjoyment of satellite TV, Game-cube)
Rear centre channel capability (speaker is not in place yet for this)
S-video switching
Component video switching (for my next TV)
Front a/v inputs
More input/output options for CD, MD etc
Banana plug capable binding posts
So now that I have the 730, I thought I would share my impressions for those who may be interested.
I still believe that advice I have read on this forum more than once, and took myself in this case that says “read what you can, pick what would fit in your budget and then demo them with material you like listening to and ultimately choose what YOU like etc etc” is the best way to go with so many amplifier/receiver choices out there. So please understand I am not writing this review to try and persuade anyone to choose this receiver. I am writing it to share my experience and purely my opinion of this one receiver.
Setup
The on screen display is great, with a very easy to follow setup menu. And the LCD remote is also great, and it is very easy to soon have it gain control of my DVD, VCR, and TV etc. These two alone make me really happy I was able to go above the 630.
Power
The 730 is rated at 6 x 75w. I do not have a huge home theatre room but I have found it to have more than enough volume for my needs. Maybe my ears are still pretty good, because I have yet to go any lower than –36dB with any DVD. I’m sure I will one day, but the point is that this receiver has plenty in reserve and is under no stress to satisfy me.
Audio
I have found this amp to provide a lot more fullness and depth to my listening experience. Separation is fantastic as is the clarity. Listening to the Balrog in LOTR gives me a real feeling that his footsteps are approaching my sofa. God only knows what the neighbours are thinking, but I could not be happier. And family have also noticed the difference, which is great – “it sounds like a real movie theatre now” was one comment. :D
DSP Programs
I have not experimented too much with these. It does appear to me that the various movie DSP’s do not adjust the vocal tracks at all. I’ll continue to try these out over time and it is nice to have the options available. I can say that listening to Episode 1 and LOTR in DD Enhanced mode is quite something.
Build/Appearance
I freely admit when it comes to the inside of a receiver I am a real newbie. But I can say this unit feels very solid, and while not the most stylish receiver around I am very happy with my choice of a gold finish.
Overall
This is a mid range home theatre amp in terms of price. I suppose I could have saved a bit longer and got the 1200, but I would find myself spending more money than I am happy to, and I did not want to become a victim of upgradeitis.
:)
Anyway as you can see above this receiver is a significant upgrade on what I had. It gives me some good future proof capabilities, and most importantly I love its performance. Not only am I looking forward to a few DVD releases next month, I am keen to revisit most of my collection all over again (I do have a few skeletons in the collection);)
Next on the agenda is a rear centre speaker followed by a new TV.
Thanks for letting me share this with you.

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Harry.. what are the crossover setting adjustment options for the Yamaha 730 and 630?

Thanks.

Hi - sub crossover settings are set at 90hz for both systems. They are not adjustable, which is a shame but I'll live with it.

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Harry.

I've been scouting for a receiver to match with my energy speakers (5.2). Found a Denon dealer here but they sell the 2802 for an unreasonable 1200USDollars, and the 3802 at around 1400USDollars. The Yammy 630 and 730 are yet to come next month, I still don't know the price.

The Onkyo's are easy to acquire, but I'd like to personally hear the others first.

Anyway, I wonder if 90hz would be too low a setting for my energys?

Thanks again.

I don't know if I can really help you too much there sorry. I have heard some people hear express a preference for say 80hz. Perhaps someone else has experience with the 5.2's and crossover settings?
I can tell you that I have a pair of DB Dynamics 688F for my fronts. They are known for being more engineered towards HT than say HI FI. I have biwired them and I still get what I feel is an acceptable amount of bass from them. Although they only go down to 35hz so they are not an extremely low frequency speaker, I have set them to large. I have moved the 730's Treble to 3/4 to get the best balance and performance from them.
Those Denon receiver prices are expensive. The exchange rate for us is about US 47c to the NZ $. But my 730 cost NZ $1800, down 10% from the original price of $1999. I know that you can get it for less than US $500 ! - but there is not much we can do about that here.:frowning:
As a side not - there have been a number of comments around that the 630/730 is low on wattage. All I can say is that my previous receiver was rated at 5x90, and the 730 whilst rated at 6x75 (I only have 5 channels hooked up at the moment) really leaves my old one for dead when it comes to power. Seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks