What's new

My XBox Live subscription is almost expired, if I renew, will it transfer to XBOX360? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this. My XBL account expires in September. I want to renew it (I'm a Halo 2 freak) but I'm also pretty sure that I'll be buying an XBox 360 within a few months of release (if not release date). If the XBox Live account I buy won't carry over to 360, I'm tempted to let it expire, buy the new console on release date (which is ~6 weeks after the XBL account goes down) and buy the XBL "gold" service then. Unfortunately I'll lose all of my Halo 2 stats and username.

Anyone know if the XBL accounts will count towards the new system?

Thanks!

Ed B

Stunt Coordinator
Do you know if thats moving over as a Gold account? Everyone gets a Silver account for free, Gold pricing has not been announced yet.

Dustin Elmore

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, it will be a "Gold" account, which is just the term used to describe the full, Paid subscription.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Coolio...could I bother you to ask where you got this info? (website link, know someone "in the know", etc.)

Just want to be absolutely sure before plunking down $50.

Thanks!

Dustin Elmore

Stunt Coordinator
I get most of my game news from IGN. It was just the info Microsoft put out, probably via press release. Here is a link to an article from May, during E3 that talks about it...

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/613/613155p1.html

This question has been asked a lot. Your existing account will carry over to a Gold account. The silver level is free and does not require a credit card, it also won't let you play games online, it just has some interactivity, and will let you play demos and what not. There was a rumor that you'd be able to play for free on weekends, but I doubt that will happen. I have heard that when you get your 360, you need to make sure you choose the Gold service first, to easily transfer your account. If you choose the Silver level then you have to make a new username, and it will be stored on your xbox. Also, you'll still be able to use your live account with the original xbox after transferring it to a 360 Gold account.:emoji_thumbsup:

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

When Microsoft originally announced the XBL Gold/Siver system, they said Silver accounts would get online play on certain weekends.

James St

Supporting Actor
The information for the 360 Live tiers was originally leaked by a Danish magazine. There was some shoddy translation posted on a few sites which is how the the "free weekends" rumor was started. As Brian mentioned there will only be promotional weekends for Silver accounts to play online.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Super sweet! Thanks for the linkage Dustin. Just ordered my renewal from Buy.com w/ a 10% off coupon (nothing like a year for only $38 :D).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks