My Xbox is having problems playing HALO

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Youssef, Aug 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Youssef

Youssef Stunt Coordinator

I just bought Halo and just my luck, the game is having problems on my system. When I power up for the first time its fine but if I play split screen or Co-op mode, after the first game we play the screen freezes the next time I go to play again. Then the system resets and says that the disc is dirty and the system cant read the disc. Also if i do get it to play then the first player controller ends up having some autofire on and my gun just keeps shooting until i pull out the controller and insert it again. I bought my system brand new about 8 months ago. I ended up even exchanging Halo b/c I thought it was the game but the same thing happens with the new game. Anyone have this happen to them before?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Try loading three different games on your Xbox to clear all Halo-related temp files from the drive, then try Halo again. It has helped other similar errors (*cough...Morrowind..cough*), but I've never heard of someone trying it with Halo.
    It's probably a dying drive, but clearing the temp files is a cheap thing to try...

-Dave

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hey good idea Dave! I heard it works well with Star Wars: Kinnigits of the Old Repubic too.

Speaking of which, my roommate is having slowdown and stuttering problems on his xbox now...same as I did before my xbox DVD drive died. I think SW:KOTOR is an XBox killer!

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I'm trying really hard not to make a "killer app" joke. [​IMG]

-Dave

6. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I have numerous friends who have XBOX systems and all of them have had issues similar to yours at one time or another. It definately sounds like it is a DVD drive issue or even a Hard Disk issue. I myself just bought one a few days ago after deciding against the GameCube and PS2. One thing you have to remember about the XBOX and PS2 is that they are basically dumbed down PCs. I am a Network Systems Admin and had serious reservations about both those systems simply because they both have hard disk drives. If it weren't the fact that my friends all have vast libraries of XBOX games, I probably would have opted for the GameCube which has no HDD and there fore is probably less prone to failure. In my 15 years as a computer professional, I have seen failures of the type you describe all too often on my user's PCs. A computer is a computer and will ALWAYS have hardware issues. All one can do is hope he/she got one with a minimum of problems.

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Not all "dirty disc" errors are hardware related though. This is just a generic error message that the Xbox spews out when there is an unhandled error.

-Dave

8. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Just to add to the paranoia: It is possible for the DVD drive laser to wreck your DVDs if the laser is too strong. There is a hack out there that allows people with the Phillips or Thompson DVD drives in their XBox to strengthen the laser to enable improved reading of CD-Rs/CD-RWs and to reduce DDEs. However, the intructions include stern warnings - if you reduce the resistance of the laser's potentiometer too much, you'll burn holes in your games. [​IMG]

Some people that start experiencing more DDEs as time goes on try this hack, and it has worked for some.

10. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

11. Youssef

I actually called tech support and the guy told me to erase the Halo file from my HD and see if that works. I tried it and so far its working. I still got to play some multiplayer mode to see if this works.

12. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You mean to erase your Halo saved games?

13. Youssef

ya thats right max. I had to erase my whole Halo file game from my system but so far it has not crashed since i've done this.

14. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Whoa! Oh well, at least you get to play the game again. [​IMG]

15. Youssef

Scratch that. It still freezes up in multiplayer mode. I've noticed that it only does it when I'm playing with more than two players.

16. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Two players on the same console?