My X-Box is wigging out, help please!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Keith_R, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey all, I just had the wierdest occurence with my X-Box and don't know what to make of it.

I was watching Tv with my X-Box running because I was waiting to get online with a friend. The box had been sitting there for 15 minutes idle with no play when it all of the sudden it began making this horrible scratching sound from within it. I ran over to it freaking out thinking "WTF!!" I tried ejecting the disc and it would not eject so I powered off and repowered on and the same noise started and the light around the eject/open tray button went from the green to red and instead of the normal screen you would get I got a message saying "contact X-Box" support. I managed to get my game out, and when the disc came out the tray was vibrating and shaking like a epileptic and I heard that horrible noise going. I immediatly called support and just got off the phone with them, they do not believe it is the X-Box but rather the game (MM3) which I don't believe because I've had the game for a month with repeated playings and no problem. They made me turn the machine over to get my serial # which seemed to help the problem because while on the phone I tested some games with them to see if they work and they all worked with only a slight stall and that noise when trying Midtown.

The X-Box tech seems to think it is the game because it had that slight stall and made that noise when testing discs out after the fact, I disagree though because the game has worked fine for a month and it wouldn't cause the disc tray to not eject or shake like an epileptic when it actually comes out. I think my drive is going bad and turning the box over to get the serial # did something to help. Any ideas what is going on here? unfortunately it is out of warranty so repairing it willl cost me $99, hopefully it ain't broke. Any ideas? thanks.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Sounds like the disc was spinning ON the tray when inserted. Bad news! I'd guess that the mechanism holding the disc up broke. Any scratches on the discs you tried?

3. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

im glad my xbox doesnt act like an epeleptic...... lol

oh wait I dont have one any more [​IMG]

4. dominic=r

dominic=r Auditioning

i had the same problem it usually is the disc spinning off the tray you shouldnt have any problems clean the tray out and try you other disc if you do still have a problem then the tray may be broken

5. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

doesn't the circle light flash red when the unit overheats?