My World and Welcome To It for DVD one day?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ian K McLachlan, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan Second Unit

Ian Kenneth McLachlan
    One comedy series I remember well is the one above starring William Windom. I believe that it may have won some awards but I believe that it only lasted the one season. It was an interesting mix of liove action and James Thurber cartoons. I wonder if it is still remembered and whether there is any possibility of a DVD release one day?

2. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    I remember this one and have already marked it at tvshows on dvd. I really wish this one would see a release. William Windom was very funny and really enjoyed the thurbermation of his drawings. Very unique series.

3. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

The show was produced by Sheldon Leonard for NBC. I'm not too sure who would have ownership of it. I tried not to long ago to license another series from the Sheldon Leonard estate and they really weren't interested in going through the trouble. It was too much bother for them for something that wouldn't make a lot of profit. I'm afraid this might fall into the same category. If it's NBC owned there's always a slim chance they might sublicense it out at some point. Doubtful though I'm afraid.

4. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I've read about this show. The main reasons it will never see the "light of disc":

1. Live action and animation don't mix. "My World and Welcome To It" was the biggest disaster since "Song of the South". It was just too strange for network television.

2. Even talented veteran character actors rarely make good leading men --- William Windom was forever restricted to a career of TV guest appearances long before (and since) this show failed.

3. Sheldon Leonard knew he would never have another hit (I SPY was his finest production), so at that point in his career quality was no longer a priority.

5. Mary_P

Mary_P Second Unit

I for one would love to see this on disc. It probably wouldn't be hugely profitable, as it's not a series you hear talked about often, and ran too few episodes to be seen much in reruns. Which to me makes it the perfect DVD release -- something that's sitting around somewhere collecting dust when it could be earning *some* revenue (assuming the costs to master wouldn't be astronomical).

Quality-wise, it had to have something going for it to score both an Emmy for Best Comedy of its year and also one for William Windom for Best Actor in a Comedy. I was pretty young when it aired, but I remember it as being very witty and very different from a lot of what was on television at the time. Nice article about it here:

http://www.tvparty.com/recworld.html

6. Michael Alden

You are even more off the mark than usual with your insidious thread-crapping. Point by point, just to show how little you know:

My World and Welcome to It was such a disaster that it won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series.

William Windom, who wasn't a good leading man, according to you, also won the Emmy that year for Outstanding Actor in a Comedy Series. His failure to be a leading man had also allowed him to star for 3 years in the successful series The Farmer's Daughter. Not bad for someone who was a poor leading man.

Sheldon Leonard "knew he would he would never have another hit"? And you know this how? After I Spy, he produced several shows which for various reasons, lack of quality not being one of them, were not successful. But considering he has on his resume Make Room for Daddy, Dick Van Dyke Show, Andy Griffith Show and Gomer Pyle USMC, in addition to I Spy, I don't think he had anything to be ashamed of, your stupid comments not withstanding.
    But just to educate you, in addition to the Emmy winning My World, he produced the Don Rickles Show, a very funny show which was buried by Fred Silverman in a horrendous time slot. My Friend Tony was also a good series, similar in feel to I Spy. However, NBC execs were angry at Leonard for declining to do a fourth season of I Spy so they took this show, which had a built in appeal to a younger audience and threw it on at 10PM on Sunday night where the young audience couldn't find it.

Feel free to keep commenting. Eventually you might be find a topic you can make a positive contribution to.

7. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

Further proof to me how popular it was (and is). Just take a look at Imdb and see how popular it is. Three pages of mostly praise and people asking that it be released. I don't always think Imdb is on the mark, but people are clamoring for it for a reason. Good grief, Jeff#, do you speak from experience or do you just comment w/o real knowledge of a show? "Reading" about something and knowing about it are two different things.

8. progrocktv

progrocktv Stunt Coordinator

MWAWTI won a couple of awards during it's broadcast run, in fact NBC was considering bringing it back for a 2nd season, but costs of resuming production were too high, it had nothing to do with quality.

I'd personally LOVE to see this on DVD!

9. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Sounds perfect for Shout Factory!

10. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Let's see if you can actually write a post without furthering your vendetta. It's amazing you haven't been banned yet with your own "thread crapping".

11. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

You base your stand wholly on a "clip" of a show? That's it? How much was that? 5 minutes?

12. progrocktv

Fine, check out a full episode then maybe you can form a rational opinion of it.

13. progrocktv

Yea, good one. Who knows if Bill Cosby show does well for them, more older series I'm sure. [​IMG]

14. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Well, to be fair to Mr. Leonard he was very old by that time, so he was probably not working as much behind the scenes by the 1970s. Although he was getting back to his acting roots, guesting in character parts in various series such as Sanford & Son.

I think as an actor, Sheldon Leonard was at his absolute best in the 1940s and 50s as the racetrack tout that Jack Benny kept running into on Jack's radio show. [​IMG]

I have no interest in watching a full episode, because I do not like animation mixed with live action. Back then apparently the public didn't either.

15. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

I don't think you can justify your opinion then.

16. Michael Alden

Because of course everyone knows that a great standup comedian placed in the right show could never have a hit on television. Uh, except for Bill Cosby, Gabe Kaplan, Freddie Prinze, Jerry Seinfeld, Roseanne Barr, Ray Romano, Kevin James, Bob Newhart, Danny Thomas, etc., etc., etc.

17. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

What does that have to do with anything? Nobody is disputing that a number of stand-up comics have had successful TV sitcoms. Granted, I think Jerry Seinfeld is a no-talent and I've said once or twice that his sitcom was a hit because of his superb supporting cast. It succeeded in spite of him.

And don't forget that Bill Cosby (who I always felt was quite good at comedic storytelling on stage) won the Emmy 3 times for each of the three seasons his first...and finest show ever "I SPY" was on and that was for Outstanding Actor in a Dramatic Series.

18. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

I vote that this forum get a significant housecleaning by giving the endlessly opinionated Jeff# his own separate blog section. There he can be free to ramble at length about shows he knows nothing about; regurgitate material from reference books dressed as first-hand knowledge; dump on actors and producers that don't suit him; and of course, update his endless list of shows he feels compelled to muse about but would never buy.

19. Susan Nunes

Susan Nunes Stunt Coordinator

This was a show I remember having rave reviews, but I never got around to seeing it.

Like He & She, another highly-regarded late 1960s show, this one would be worth having on DVD.

There IS a market out there for older television series if the studios and other major distributors would just take a chance.

20. progrocktv

He and She was another great one.