What's new

My woofer is...dented??? (1 Viewer)

Jason_H

Second Unit
A bit of an odd problem. So I have a pair of JBL S312's as my front speakers. I have noticed that somehow I have a small dent on the middle "dome" part of the woofer. Is there an easy way of getting this out and back to a nice round dome shape without taking my speaker apart?

Bob U

Stunt Coordinator
Gently press on a piece of scotch tape while leaving enough of a tail to get a good grip on. Pull gently straight out.

If it is a metal dome dust cap, then it may leave crease marks. Soft dome should come right out.

-=Bob=-

Jason_H

Second Unit
Ha! That worked like a charm....thanks Bob! They are indeed metal, so there are some very faint marks where the dent was, but they are only apparent on close inspection. Cool! Now I can properly show them without the grilles on...they are distinctive looking speakers.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
That reminds me when I went to bestbuy and saw that somebody had smashed in all the tweeters of the studio line.

Why is it that people like destroying or stealing demo equiptment. They arn't getting back at the retailer but are affecting the customers.

Auditioning the S312 package at bestbuy will never be the same.

Jason_H

Second Unit
On another note, is there any disadvantage sonically to keeping the grilles off my speakers? I just really like the way my S312s look without the grilles!

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
NO! Some would say that it sounds sonically better that way! (PRO Studio Monitors don't have grills, but JBL will put a guard over the Tweeters)

The speaker cover is there to keep little wandering fingers from introducing craters into the speaker domes or cones!!!

Phil

Jason_H

Second Unit
Thanks Phil! Somehow I had a feeling you were going to pop into this thread eventually...:)
I'm not worried about future dents, so I will keep the grilles off. I love the copper/silver color combination. The original small dent was there when I got it out of the shipping carton a couple of years ago. I didn't bother sending them back for such a minor thing, especially since I had obtained the pair along with an S-center from Amazon. I had gotten $2000(!!!) in free gift certificates from Amazon, that's the only reason I got them from there seeing as they are way overpriced at Amazon. As to how I got the GCs...that is a whole 'nuther tale involving a moment of genius and the absolute insanity of the dot-com boom/hysteria! :D

Jason_H

Second Unit
Seriously, I've received emails from a lot of JBL S-Series owners leaving off the grill cus', it looks, ... way too cool!!
Yeah, I have S-series all the way around...with S-38s for the surrounds. It looks very nice now, I just need some stands for my S-38s. Do you know what kind people typically use for S-38s? I am about to add a SVS to complete my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks