My wonderful coworker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Moreau, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau Stunt Coordinator

I have a coworker, and friend, who is a real movie buff (her name's Ruthi, and she'd hate me telling her age, but -- just between the two of us -- she's in her mid fifties.) For some time I had been on her case to get herself a DVD player. She has quite a large collection of films on VHS, and I was trying to convince her of the advantages of DVD -- plus the fact that she could borrow from my collection of several hundred titles. A few months ago she finally decided that she would like to have a portable player, since she travels a lot with her job. I told her that if I were buying a portable, and money were no problem, that I would get the Toshiba progressive scan unit. She ordered it from OneCall, and loves it. (If you have never seen that model, the picture on it is breathtaking. You'd swear that you were looking INTO the little 16x9 screen, it's that three dimensional.)
    Anyway, last week she told me that she'd bought several new discs, including Snow White and The Mummy Returns. I asked her if she bought the widescreen or "fullfame" version of TMR. She said that she really didn't know, that she hadn't paid attention and had not yet watched it. Time to educate her, right? So, I explained about why OAR was important, and I printed out the comparison shots from The Digital Bits, showing the difference between the two formats.
    The next day when she came to work, Ruthi asked me if I knew anyone who'd like a P&S copy of The Mummy Returns. When I asked why, she said that when she got home she looked to see which she'd bought and found that it was the fullscreen version, so she went back to Suncoast and got the widescreen one. When I asked her why she just didn't exchange the first one, she said that she couldn't because she'd already opened it! Now, is this lady something wonderful, or what?

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Rock on!!

3. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

And they say you can't change "old" people. [​IMG]
    Well done Chris on informing your co-worker about OAR. You earn the HTF OAR Good Deed patch for your jacket. [​IMG]
    I don't know about other people here, but I love reading posts about this. It helps me believe that there still is good in most people. [​IMG]
    -Dean-
    ------------------
    My HT Equipment
    "I've seen you and you are not cool."

4. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    If only more people were humble like her and willing to be taught something new.
    A lot of people, when shown the difference between P&S and widescreen and why the black bars are there, etc., say they understand but just don't care. The truth is many of them are just too proud to have somebody educate them. They feel they have to defend and justify their original opinion even if shown the facts.
    When Mr. J6P asks "Why do they have to put them black bars on there?" he usually isn't really interested in the answer.
    Good work, Chris.

6. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

My next door neighbor is like that...he hates widescreen, but his son and I love it. So when we're over there, watching a disc, we watch it in widescreen, and he'd always ask why we do, and we'd try to explain it to him, but lately we just ignore him.
    Some people never change.
    ------------------
    "This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
    My Extensive DVD collection.

7. Tim H

Tim H Stunt Coordinator

I must have an unusual set of friends. [​IMG] Not once has someone complained about "black bars" when they watch a movie at my house. In fact, I have done a side by side comparison with a couple of my friends and they instantly "get it". My brother's wife told me the other day that she LOVES widescreen when I gave her my old widescreen "Forrest Gump" VHS. My brother must have converted her!

8. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

quote: A lot of people, when shown the difference between P&S and widescreen and why the black bars are there, etc., say they understand but just don't care. The truth is many of them are just too proud to have somebody educate them. They feel they have to defend and justify their original opinion even if shown the facts.[/quote]
    It may shock a lot of you but some people actually don't care. It has nothing to do with feeling too proud or anything like that they just don't care.
    It doesn't make them evil or anything,.... just wrong. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    BLAM!
    Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun.
    Check out my Star Wars Mural
    [Edited last by Micheal on October 19, 2001 at 01:33 PM]

9. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

My 68 year-old mom is considering a player.
    I am searching for a good all-region one though with a Chinese remote and Chinese menus though, since her primary use for it would be to watch Chinese movies, and her English isn't the greatest.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.