What's new

My Wish List of un-released titles (classic/art house & foreign) any news (1 Viewer)

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
I didn't want to post a thread for each of these, so I thought I would condense this list down to just the films I'm really dying for, on dvd.
And honestly, I would probably take another region, other than region 1 (if I can get it).
Anyway, here's the list:
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (Criterion Collection) is this title still a go from Criterion in 2002?
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia this was mentioned in the MGM chat last year, any news?
Day For Night I need a replacement for my dubbed VHS of this, even if it's bare bones
The Exterminating Angel
Floating Weeds Doesn't Criterion (Home Vision) own this?
The Grapes of Wrath I had heard that this would be getting Citizen Kane type treatment, but, when?
A Hard Day's Night: SE It hasn't been asked for a while here on the boards, what's up with this title? It's out in almost every country but this one.
Hoop Dreams I'd love to replace my VHS from New Line, any word on a dvd from them of this?
King Kong Is this getting the Citizen Kane treatment too, thought I had heard that?
La Dolce Vita Is this a confirmed Criterion title yet?
Laura Mentioned in the chat last year with Fox, any word?
My Darling Clementine
Persona
The Producers You'd think this would have been out already, with the play and all.
Saturday Night Fever
Sunset Boulevard Will Paramount speed things up with this now that Wilder has passed on?
Swing Time
Trouble In Paradise Got a recording on my Ultimate TV box...apparently Universal owns it and supplied TCM with the tape but there's no pending release...huh?!?
Un Chien Andalou
Wings of Desire
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Please supply me with any info you have about a pending release of any of these films on dvd, even if it's not Region 1.
Thanks!
Carrol

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Ali is more likely a 2003 release

Floating Weeds is Criterion, not likely coming anytime soon

Hard Days Night is getting a UK release in June

King Kong is getting the Kane treatment

La Dolce Vita is not confirmed w/Criterion

Persona was supposed to be coming from MGM, but like Garcia, no further word

Saturday Night Fever comes out in August

Swing Time and Top Hat are being released by Warner, but no word on when.

Wings of Desire is coming from Anchor Bay as part of a Wim Wenders collection, but I don't remember if it's late 2002 or early 2003, check their website.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
I'm fairly sure I've read that Anchor Bay does not have rights to Wings of Desire and therefore I wouldn't expect it to be part of the Wenders Collection due out from them early next year. The title is available in R2, by the way.
The Producers is being worked on, as an SE, but I can't recall for certain which studio has it. I *think* it's another MGM.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Paramount has confirmed that Sunset Boulevard should be coming out this year along with other classics such as Roman Holiday and To Catch a Thief.
Criterion has said that they might be doing La Dolce Vita in 2003 along with La Strada, but it is not clear if they have acquired the rights to La Dolce Vita from Artisan yet.
MGM did mention in one of their chats that they would be releasing Persona and The Passion of Anna, but I haven't heard anything about these titles since. I am also waiting for Criterion to release Bergman's chamber trilogy (Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light and The Silence). Criterion was supposed to release these back in 2001 (they mentioned them in a chat), but I guess we won't be seeing them at least until next year.
I would love to see the more Bunuel releases, but it is not clear who owns the rights to the remaining titles. I think Criterion may do Tristana at some point, but no idea about The Exterminating Angel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks