My Windows 2000 Nightmare

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Larkin, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

So, I use a Mac. I use MacOS X because most of my work is done within OS X's Unix environment.
    I decided for kicks to install Virtual PC with Windows 2000 Pro so I could try out DVDProfiler. I install VPC and Windows, no problem.
    Since I worry about security for a living (thus, the absence of any windows machines) I decided I better run what Microsoft calls "Windows Update." This apparently opens a webpage at Microsoft which examines your OS and tells you what updates you need.
    Windows Update tells me: "There are 26 Critical updates for your system." 26??!?!?! CRITICAL??? OK, fine. I click install. The obligatory license agreement pops up and another window in front telling me some script has failed and do I wish to continue. I say Yes. The License Agreement is back with the AGREE button GRAYED out. I go down the list and every single update reacts the same way.
    Fine, I'll just use an insecure and buggy version of Windows for the time being. [​IMG]
    I download DVDProfiler. I am then STUNNED to find out that Microsoft STILL in 2002 has not put support for decoding a .zip file as part of the OS!!! Thats how it was in 1995 - I would figure they'd change it. [​IMG]
    But, alas, this is where the beauty of the Mac comes in. I simply drag the DVDProfiler zip file right out of the Windows window and onto my desktop where the Mac IS able to decode the Zip file. I drag the folder back to Windows and move on.
    BTW, the MacOS X Software Update works flawlessly.

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

You have to remember that Microsoft got where they are by convincing people that they need Microsoft software, not because that software was any good. (Of course, the unrealistic pricing of Macs and Jobs' refusal to allow Apple clones did not help to slow Microsoft's ascent.)

Keep in mind that Windows 2000 is not a 2002 operating system. It's at least three years old. I believe that ME and XP offer .Zip compatibility. WinZip is still better, though, and it's a free download.

3. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I used to use WinZip in the old days. Winzip shouldn't even BE better, it should just decode it transparently. Double click it, it leaves a folder. Easy stuff.

The point is that a Mac can decode a Zip file out of the box. Why can't Windows?

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

And you call that a nightmare?

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

The current version of Windows does decode zip out of the box. You're a version behind.

6. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Yeah, Windows XP has native ZIP support.

Also, if you download and install Service Pack 3 for Win2k you'll be able to bypass most of those critical updates in one shot as they're rolled up in the SP. There are a couple of important post-SP3 updates you'll want to do as well.

The reason there are more updates is simply because there are a lot more people working on exploits against Windows boxes than Macs. If you look at the Bugtrack list you'll see there are plenty of new exploits discovered on Solaris, Linux, *BSD and pretty much all operating systems every week.

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Do you really want Microsoft to bundle software that does the same thing as software that a third party company has spent years developing? I've lost count of the number of times Microsoft has done this, and despite United States v. Microsoft, they're still doing it.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

You might have needed administrator rights under the login you used to have the updates load up properly live off the web.