My wife thinks she wants one of these Palm things, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinW, Feb 5, 2002.

1. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

I don't think she needs one that does it all (email, paging, phone, etc).... just a basic model to keep up with phone numbers, addresses, things-to-do, and such.

I don't know the first thing about these products. Can anyone make a good suggestion?

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

This post could go either in After Hours or in the Computer forum. I'm moving it to computers since I think better answers will be forthcoming from there.

3. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

For what its worth, my fiancee Caroline bought a Hanspring Visor Neo on Saturday, and loves it. Acts as an excellent replacement for her Filofax, and is a lot smaller. I've heard some things about lack of upgradeability on them, but I'm not sure thats a big issue. I've still got my Visor Deluxe (the model before) and that does the job fine as well.

4. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

You might want to consider the Palm M100 or M105 since she doesn't need email.

I have a Handspring Visor Deluxe and use it all the time. Once you get used to using it, you find it difficult to live without.

5. Iain Lambert

What home machine, if any, do you plan to sync it with? If its a Mac of any kind, I'd definitely recommend going with a Handspring, while some PCs look nicer with the Palms. Our Handsprings are connected to PCs anyway, so its not a big thing.

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I've also seen the first-generation Pocket PC's, like the Casio E-125, sold for about $270 now... but on the other hand, if she doesn't need something that can multitask and is a tad large by comparison to a Palm/Visor then I guess it would be the wrong choice for her.

Visors are selling at low prices too now. Personally I'd probably get a Visor Pro, they're below $250 now. Although the Visor Edge is a lot prettier, at the same cost. Of course, the Visor Neo is $50 less than that still and she gets a choice of colors.

7. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

I've had a Palm Vx for about a year and a half, and my S.O. has had a Handspring Prism for about a year. I'd reccomend going with a Palm or Handspring device, with as much memory as you can fit in your budget. The Pocket PC's are nice, but there's a ton of free/shareware apps out there for the Palm OS, which was the deciding factor for me. You'll find inexpensive apps that'll do just about anything you can dream up.
    Some things to consider while shopping-
    1) Memory. Get as much as you can afford, you'll almost certainly use it.
    2) Color vs b&w. Color devices tend to suck more juice, but they are pretty.
    3) Battery life. This is particularly important if you're not going to be synching every day. My Vx has an internal battery with excellent life. I've only run out of juice once, and that was after a week of daily use without charging. My S.O.'s Prism has pretty poor battery life, being an early color device, and needs frequent charging which can be a pain when we're out of town.
    4) Mail client. Even if you don't want to sync mail (I don't as it takes up too much space), if you sync with Outlook, you can pull all of your contacts, calandar events, tasks, etc. Very nice.
    Be sure to check out Avantgo when you get up and running. Easily the most useful app I've found for the device. It allows you to sync news, movie times, and pretty much any website you're little heart desires. Very cool. I get The Onion, the local Seattle papers, and local movie times, along with other fun stuff. You can even create custom channels for sites which aren't listed in their db.

8. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    Usability is a big part of a handheld. And usability also includes size and weight. If a handheld is too bulky or heavy you're not going to want to take it everywhere. For this reason I am a big fan of the slim designs. For a good value, check out the SONY PEG-T415. Extra slim at 0.39'' 320x320 Hi res screen-backlit. Expandable with Sony memory sticks. Palm OSv4.1 - proven and endless software. Retail price is $249. That's not a bad deal and you could probably get it a little cheaper than that on-line.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/micros/clie/models/415.html

9. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

I'll throw my vote in for any of the Sony Clie' models. They all use the Palm operating system and seem to utilize it better than Palm does. Best part is they really don't cost any more than a comparable Palm model. Personally I would stay away from any of the Handspring organizers because Handspring has been pretty vocal about getting out of the organizer market and focusing on phones like the new Visor Treo. If you do go with a Handspring model it may becomse difficult to find accessories for it down the road.

10. Steve Kramzer

Steve Kramzer Stunt Coordinator

Before you blow money on something that your wife may only use a few times, you should try an older model before springing for a brand new, top of the line unit. I recently got a Palm IIIxe off of ebay for 75 bux and I love it. It has all the software functions of the newer palms, expect it doesn't accept eexpansion packs. The Palm IIIxe is probably more comparable to palm's current M105 than the 100, as it has 8mb of ram. Personally, before I got my palm IIIxe, I held my buddies M105, and thought it felt cheap.

11. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

I've been doing some shopping lately for a Palm OS device and I think I've settled on the Handspring Visor Pro. With 16Mb memory, compared to the typical 8Mb of other Palm OS devices, it's set to hold lots of data and applications. This one seems more prepared to grow with me rather than me being forced to replace it within a year.
    Whatever you choose, make sure to price search online before you buy. I checked out My Simon and was surprised to see the price differences from different retailers.

12. Iain Lambert

As someone who doesn't sync very often, I'm glad I've got one of the more basic Visor Deluxe models (the Neo is also like this), as they use normal AAA batteries, rather than the Palm Vx or Visor Edge models that have internal batteries that you charge on the docking cradle. I went one of the big LA meets and was away for a fortnight, did a battery change and didn't blink an eyelid- if I had to find a PC to leave connected to for a couple of hours to recharge it would have been a nightmare.

13. Kimmo Jaskari

Well, the software issue for Pocket PC isn't exactly bad these days. There are tons of it already and it's improving steadily. I don't think software availability is a valid reason to not go PocketPC today (unless there is something for the Palm you absolutely cannot live without for some reason).

More valid points would be purchasing cost, weight, size and battery life. Personally, I don't mind a slightly larger and heavier machine because you do get something for that weight - things like a stunning screen, great multimedia capabilities etc.

Depends on what you want to do if you go Palm or PPC, IMHO.

14. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I'm no big fan of Microsoft, but I would suggest scrapping Palm and going with a Windows CE device. I have an iPAQ 3650 that I love!

Win CE features that Palm OS doesn't have:

1. Sound support (not just "midi" blips and bleeps)

2. 32-bit architecture (16-bit for Palm OS)

3. Full Unicode support (this is VERY important)

Sure, the devices cost a little more, but well worth it in my opinion. Even if it means supporting the bastard known as Microsoft.

15. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all of the info! With what I've learned here, we've narrowed the choices down to the Palm m125 and the Sony PEG-T360(I think this is the model #). I believe these models will suit her needs perfectly. Both are $199, the Palm has 8mb of memory, the Sony 16mb. Other than that they're pretty much the same, on paper at least. We're going to look at them tonight at Best Buy so she can try each one out.

Of course, while she's checking out the PDA's, I'll be dvd shopping. She thought since she was getting a new toy that I should get a couple of new dvds. Wasn't that nice of her!

p.s. Can anyone recommend an internet retailer where I might can find a better price? $199 seems to be the going rate everywhere I look around here.

16. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Kevin, my wife uses her Palm M100 for exactly those things that you mentioned, and it would be overkill to get anything else (if that's all she will use it for). The M100 can be found for under $100, and it has 2MB of memoery, which might seem small, but really isn't for the everyday use your wife will have it for. I don't think she's used even 20% of the available memory yet.

If it turns out she needs a more advanced model, you can just buy another one and transfer everything over.

All the techno-stuff and extra memory that others have mentioned in this thread is just gonna sit there unused if your wife will use it like you described.

/Mike

17. Kimmo Jaskari

Micke does have a valid point, and a PocketPC is most likely total overkill.
    Personally I would still recommend the Visor Neo over the Palm. Granted, she may not need to expand now; 2MB may be fine for her forever and you have already decided on the Palm.
    Still, a Visor is worth it IMHO just to have a simple internal upgrade path, and the Visor has some very cool upgrades available should she be really bitten by the thing.
    You may already have seen them, but check them out if you haven't.
    http://www.handspring.com/products/sbmodules/
    My personal favorite has to be the VisorPhone, but there are other things too.
    My point is that why limit your options if you don't have to? The 2MB of memory won't be a problem if all she does is calendar and to-do with it, but if she discovers the TONS of free software and games etc available for the Palm platform, it won't be for long.

18. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Like Mike/Micke, my wife also uses her Palm M100 for the very things you mention (address book- about 500 entries, to-do lists, calendar, etc), and even with only 2MB, it still has 950K left. And that includes a few apps, including Word and Excel editors.

Todd