What's new

MY Wife & I Are CrimeStoppers (1 Viewer)

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
:D :D I own a small (1 man) Heating & Air Conditioning business. Back in mid February my spare service van was stolen for the parking lot of my shop. The police department said that they normally recovered stolen vehicles in 6-8 hours, but they never found mine. I waited and kept my eyes open but nothing developed and my insurance company paid off the van.
Then yesterday my wife and I were on our way to a local hardware store to pickup some stuff for a sprinkler system. As we drove past the car wash that I frequent to wash my service van, which is right across the street from one of the supply houses that I buy parts and supplies from, my wife says (jokingly) "Hey that looks like your van!" I thought so too...but what are the chances of finding my own stolen van? I whipped a u-turn and drove into the carwash and I'll be damned if it wasn't my van!!! :angry: :angry:
I intended to stop and call 911 on my cell phone when all of a sudden a police car drives right in front of where I had stopped! I stomped on the gas, smoked the tires on my Durango (gotta love that 360 cid V-8) and caught up with the officer. I'm screamin' like a heathen with my hair on fire about my stolen van and he looks at me like I'm insane!
We both pull into the car wash and he tells me and my wife to stay in our car while he checks things out. I'm setting there shaking like a leaf and wanting to get out of the car and kick this thieving SOB's ass!! Next thing I know the local police department helicopter is flying low, and I mean low over the carwash! A women who was washing her car said the guy in the van ran off and officer was chasing him!
My wife really doesn't want me to get out of the car but its time to get a look. As I walk around the corner I see the officer walking the handcuffed dirtbag back to the carwash from a stand of trees about 100 yards away. More police cars are showing up, the helicopter is still in the area, and I'm standing there looking at my van. The police start asking if I'm sure that it is my van and I proceed to tell them every identifing scratch, dent, & ding, as well as shoing them my insurance card for the van that has the VIN number on it.BUSTED:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
The vinyl lettering had been removed, the ladder rack was gone, but the shelves were still in it. The factory radio had been replaced with a Pioneer CD player, new (stolen) tires all the way around, and the back of the van was full of stolen property! They also found a bunch of stolen checks and a phoney drivers license.
The guy had just recenly been released from prison, he had been serving time for Motor Vehicle Theft, and has 5 Warrants out for ...you guessed it...Motor Vehicle Theft.
Talk about a great day:emoji_thumbsup:
Since my insurance company had already paid off the claim the van has taken to the impound lot and I'll have to buy the van from them but thats cool.
My van, at my favorite car wash, across the street from my favorite supply house, and a cop right where I needed him!
What are the odds?!?!?

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
Awesome!!!
It's great to hear that a scumbag is off the streets.
You should celebrate by getting yourself a new piece of Home Theater equipment.
:D
But again, congatulations!!!!!

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Belive it or not we went out and had a steak dinner and then went and bought a new Polk Audio CS400 center channel to replace my CS175!!!

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I don't think he'll be out that quickly. We found out today that the guy had actually escaped from prison so I'm sure he'll be in maximum security for a while.

When they arrested him, I told the police to put him in cell with a guy Bubba who had not seen a women for a lot of years!!

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
As a recent victim of burglary myself, I am glad to hear that your saga turned out well--with the bad guy in custody. I "googled" the name mentioned in the police report you linked above and I found this link.
ANDREW JAMES STROBEL, is a white male, 32 years old, 5'11" tall, and 175 lbs., with brown hair and blue eyes. STROBEL is wanted for Failure to Comply on the original charges of Unlawful Possession of a Schedule II Controlled Substance, Aggravated Motor Vehicle Theft and Escape from Felony Conviction.
There is a picture in the link.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to post a message, I hope that the police catch the puke that stole from you. God forbid that these low lifes should ever get a job and earn what they are after instead of stealing from the rest of us.
We found the same info that you pointed out in your message on the local crime stoppers website. I called them today and the lady who was manning the phones told us that we are not elligable for any reward because the guy has been arrested...No shit!! If it wasn't for my wife and I the dirtbag would not be in jail right now:angry:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not greedy, but if a reward is offered and I find the guy (not the police) aren't I entitled to the reward?

Cam S

Screenwriter
What an awsome story. What a good ending too, with getting the van back and a new center channel speaker, can't beat that!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
What happens to the stolen equipment (Pioneer radio, tires, etc) that are on your van that the perp stole? Do they get put into the Police database to find a match or do you get to keep them or what? Say the police have a stolen goods report on 4 sets of wheels and they match the wheels that are on your van, do the police get to remove the wheels, return them to their original owner and you just pay less to get the van back from the impound?
Just curious, great story!! :emoji_thumbsup:
Jay

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Because my insurance company paid off my claim the van is technically theirs but I will be buying it back. I'm fairly certain that anything that is now installed and thought to be stolen will be removed and held by the police department. The van itself will be held in the impound lot until it is completely dusted for prints and all items in or on it are inventoried. In Colorado vehicle theft is a Felony, not a Misdemeanor(spelling?)

I think that my insurance company will have to put tires on the van and fix whatever is needed to make it road worthy again (new windshield, repair steering column and ignition, etc.). I would love to get it back with my company logo back on it, and the ladder rack installed but I doubt that will happen. My best guess at this time is that the insurance company will reduce the cost to buy it back if I take it off their hands without them having to put a lot of money into it.

I'll be talking to them this morning, and I'm going to call the District Attorney and ask about court dates. I'm going to try to watch the trial, if there is one! I'm not a sadist, I just want this to SEE this guy get what he deserves.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Frank, you may want to think twice about buying the van back. You never know if engine was mistreated and damaged. My friends T-Bird got stolen once, she got it back but it never ran the same.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Wow, stolen vehicle, cops, scumbags being busted, a steak dinner and new HT gear. *Sniff, sniff* I LOVE THIS PLACE!

Great story Frank. Glad to hear everything went you way. Good to hear that every once in a while, the good guys win!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Frank, you may want to think twice about buying the van back. You never know if
engine was mistreated and damaged. My friends T-Bird got stolen once, she got it back
but it never ran the same.
On the other hand, they did catch this guy while this guy was at a car wash!!! So he was at least keeping the exterior clean. :)
Jay

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Bad Boys, Bad Boys, What'cha gonna do when they come for you!

Wouldn't it be great to see Frank's story on COPS! in Colorado.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
They caught him at the car wash, he was putting Armour All on the tires when the cop walked up to him. As soon as he saw the cop he took off but he wasn't fast enough!
BTW, I just got off the phone with the insurance company and they will not sell the van back too me...I've got to find someone with a brokers license to buy it from them via a salavage dealer...what a bunch of crap.:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
How's this for theme song...
Dumb Ass, Dumb Ass, Whatcha Gonna do when the owner catches you?!?1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.