What's new

My widscreen Evolution disc is in Pan Scan!! (1 Viewer)

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
I bought the widscreen Evolution DVD, poped it in the player and to my surprice it was the Pan scan version!

Even on the disc it self it says 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widscreen!

Has anybody had the same problem?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Is it the American Region 1 release? I don't think there is a pan-and-scan version available.

It sounds most likely as though your DVD player is set up incorrectly. If you have a standard 4:3 television, be sure that your player is set to "4:3 letterbox" video not "16:9" video. If it's set to "16:9," the picture will be distorted. It'll be tall and skinny, and fill your screen vertically, like a pan-and-scan transfer.

If that's not the case, then I'm afraid I can't help you.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Carl, I was just thinking the EXACT same thing; that the setting is wrongly on 16:9 instead of 4:3. I can confirm that there is not supposed to be any R1 release other than the widescreen version on this particular title.

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
But look at Jens' signature... he has a real HT, and I guess he knows how to set up his player, huh?

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Just because you have a "real" home theater setup, doesn't mean you can't make a mistake in the setup. My DVD player defaults to 16x9 and I never noticed it until I bought an anamorphic DVD. It played non-anamorphic DVDs correctly, so I assumed it was correct. Not to mention the fact that, at least on my player, the selection of 16x9 or 4:3 is buried deep within the menus.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I would think he had his screen set up properly too, but you never know. Also, the pic he has from Star Wars looks like it was in 16:9 when it needed to be in 4:3. So maybe the same thing is happening.

Or maybe Evolution is a pan and scan on the fly? Not bloody likely

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
To me, it looks like a 4:3 screen. Check out the paramount logo, although it's hard to tell from the screenshots of the other movies. But Ep. 1 looks stretched...

Joey

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
So many people have their DVD players set up to think that their 4:3 TV is a 16:9. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks