What's new

My widescreen laptop has black bars on side of anamorphic DVDs (1 Viewer)

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Its a Toshiba, and I am using windows media player. I figured it would somehow just "know" to use the entire screen. Instead, I get black bars on the sides where there should be picture. Technically, the black bars are all around it for anamorphic DVDs. But obviously that would be normal to have some black bars on the top and bottom for 2.35 material. How do I fix this?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I get the same thing with my new Dell widescreen laptop and WMP. Interestingly enough PowerDVD works perfectly on the same machine so it has to be WMP10 that's the problem.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Yes - the problem lies with WMP. If you use a program such as WinDVD, the problem will go away.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
It is a bit strange that WMP doesn't "just know" about anamorphic DVDs and WideScreen displays. Even PowerPoint 2000 displays displays presantations 4:3 with black bars on the side on my widescreen Dell laptop. Intervideo WinDVD uses the full width with anamorphic DVDs, but there is a seperate option for it in the setup.

Just curious, are all widescreen computer displays 16x10 instead of 16x9, or is it just my laptop?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I wouldn't be surprised if someone chose the 16 x 10 ratio to leave room for a "full-screen" 16 x 9 editing or display area, plus a small control bar or menu bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RinehartMateschitz
Recent bookmarks