My Wega's Flag-Waving and Pincushion Distortion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichMiller, May 22, 2001.

1. RichMiller

RichMiller Extra

I've got a Wega KV-36FS16, and have had an absolute ball tweaking and calibrating it to a fare-thee-well. It's a great set for my current needs. [​IMG]
    I've hopped into service mode and disabled red push, killed off SVM, and generally I'm satisfied with the picture I'm getting. However, there're two bits of distortion that refuse to go away, and before I go to the trouble of grabbing a service manual from Sony, I wanted to know if these are even fixable from the service menu.
    First is what I've heard called "flag-waving" distortion, or a narrow vertical band of the raster image (about 15% of the way in from the left edge of the screen) that seems to be more densely populated with horizontal pixels than the rest of the image. It's most obvious with horizontal information tickers (Fox's NASCAR ticker is a good example) and slow horizontal pans. While detail is crossing this vertical band, it's horizontally compressed, thus the feeling of dipping into and out of the fold in a waving flag. This is very weird, especially since it's off-center, and I'm worried that it's not due to any adjustable parameter. Has anyone ever fixed this one from the service menu?
    Second is horizontal pincushioning at the corners of the display. Vertical lines near the left and right edges of the screen bow visibly inwards before exiting the top or bottom of the screen. I'm more optimistic here because I've seen this adjustment on other CRTs, but have yet to find it in Wega's service mode.
    Thanks,
    -Rich
    ------------------
    Technophilia is like hemophilia...
    In both cases bleeding oneself dry is a danger.

2. RichMiller

RichMiller Extra

Anyone? [​IMG]
    ------------------

3. RichMiller

RichMiller Extra

*Bump* for today.
    ------------------

4. Chris Kayser

Chris Kayser Extra

I think you're stuck with the "flag waving" effect. As for the pin cushioning on the top/bottom edges, I had last year's model Wega and service manual and there was an adjustment for this. It was something similar to UPC (Upper Pin Cushion) and LPC (Lower Pin Cushion).
    Chris

5. RichMiller

RichMiller Extra

Chris:
    Thanks for the pincushion tips. I figured as much re: flag-waving.
    Here's a new kettle of fish: is the flag-waving deal enough of a defect (i.e., not fixable) that I should risk requesting that a replacement unit be brought out? I'm still under warranty, but I don't want to risk inheriting a new raft of trouble unnecessarily, because I know that subtle geometry problems are endemic to flatscreens in general, and Wegas in particular.
    Thoughts?
    -Rich

6. Chris Kayser

Chris Kayser Extra

You'll have to be the judge on whether it bothers you enough to try for a replacement. If you do go the replacement route, see if you can look at the new set in the store before it's delivered or try to con the delivery guys into sticking around a few extra minutes so you can give the picture a quick check. If you the new one is worse, don't accept it.
    After having a Wega and now a Panasonic Tau, I've found that finding a good flat screen is like rolling the dice. But I would have found that out sooner, if I had checked this forum first. [​IMG]

7. Nick O

Nick O Auditioning

Rich after four months of aggravation I got rid of my 36" wega. The picture was better than most but had at least 10 problems from purple shading on vid input 4 to a scrolling ghostly white bar. the sharp feature went from 1% on the first bar to 60% on the secound and then the remaining 20 or so bars did 60-100%. I still do not own a tv for my big theatre and will purchase a projector in the next month or so. My 1989 sony triniton looks almost as good as the vega and was the best 27" tv on the market at that time. I feel that most tvs are flawed, find the one that has flaws in areas of least concern to you.