What's new

My vintage amplifier smells...What can I do? (1 Viewer)

CarlP

Agent
Over the weekend, I bought a mid-eighties dual-mono Onkyo power amplifier. The sound is fantastic! The only thing is the musty smell of it. I was told the amp had been in storage for many years.
Running the amp all weekend has not lessened the smell. Any thoughts on cleaning the heat-sinks?

All help would be appreciated!

NP Saga: Heads or Tails

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, clean them. And the rest of the unit.

You say it has been in storage for years. How was it stored? Was it covered and then put back in its shipping carton and carefully packed away? Or was it left more exposed than that?

Dust collects on and in electronics. Electronic parts can degrade when not used much. Even mold can occur (mold is a big issue in commercial real estate these days; I know because I cover the matter).

Now, imagine such a device being subject to the heat of normal use after so many years of disuse or possibly neglect. There would most likely be an odor.

In time the unit will air out. (Try dusting it and cleaning it, though.)

Yogi

Screenwriter
In time the unit will air out. (Try dusting it and cleaning it, though.)
And also try some fresh pine deodorant spray:D Just kidding. Do everything Jack says and and keep it running for a few days non stop and the smell should be gone by then.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd pull the cover off and using a soft brush, dust everything off and shoot some compressed air to get rid of the stuff. The metal casing (not inside where the circuitry is) I'd clean off with a non-aquesous based cleaner...local electrical supply place ought to have something. BTW, what did you pay. Love that old stuff myself :)

CarlP

Agent
It's an Okyko M5030 and $269 which I think is a great deal myself.
One of my problems is I have a dog nose. Seriously, I could work at airports or with the police!!!

I was hoping to find cleaners to use on the inside. Something that would leave a aniseptic or "that new piece of equipment" smell. I know I need to get a life! :D

Yogi

Screenwriter
Something that would leave a aniseptic or "that new piece of equipment" smell
Do you think there would be a market for a 'Fresh Epoxy' spray deodorant that people could spray over their old gear and make it smell like new?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I had a friend that had the same problem & what he did was clean the heck out of the amp. inside & out & then he put one of those "PineTree" car freshner's on top of the amp. to hid the smell until the heat from the amp. finally burned up all the smell of the mold. But if you've got a dog's nose maybe the smell of the Pine Tree will have you lifting your leg all the time :D

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
I think it quite unkind to make fun of CarlP's dog nose. How would you like it if you had a dog nose and everyone made jokes about you?

Carl, have you applied for compensation? I'm sure you would qualify for income under the social security disability act. Does this problem in any way influence your choice of women? If so, it should increase your benefits. You could qualify for retraining as a bomb sniffer at the airport.

My experience with these matters is extensive. I am currently receiving a substantial amount of government money because, it turns out, I have an eagle eye for such problems.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks