What's new

My view on PEARL HARBOR audio (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
OK guys...there's nothing much to talk about on the visual quality of this release. The video scores no 100% perfect points, due to minor bad edge enhancements. But that doesn't mean that it will look very bad with large screen displays.
I had listened to the three English tracks, DD5.1, DTS5.1 and DHS (DOLBY HEADPHONE SURROUND) that comes with this release. And the best track of all…still goes to the DTS5.1.
ON THE DOLBY HEADPHONE SURROUND,
Before we play the movie with DHS, there will be a paragraph of text telling us that "…the soundtrack is not calibrated for playback with your speaker system…" Many of us will tend to miss this, especially to owners of players that do on-board processing of multi-channel surround sound, or those who sends the audio via digital cables to receivers with multichannel processing. We are these groups of people who will forget that when we plug a headphone to a multichannel processing player or processor, we are listening to the decoded front channels of the tracks, where dialogue is a lot lower than the effects. I did not realize that to enjoy the best from DHS, I should have down mix the track into stereo. When I had selected DHS, the player's on screen display shows that I am listening to the fronts of decoded 6-channel track. DOLBY's statement should have given more directions on the listening of DHS via on board processing players or receivers.
To experience the new surround format that comes with this release, I used two headphones. A wireless FM headphone, SENNHEISER RS45 and a corded PHILIPS ear covering SBC HP-610.
I should have skipped the RS45, as I had known its response to certain peak of various audios. Before I listened to PEARL HARBOR DHS, I listened to my soundtrack and classical CD collections. It comes to my conclusion that this headphone is best suitable for orchestral works, light vocal and chamber music, not for strong stuffs.
As I had mentioned, make sure that you are listening to stereo only, if you are using a player with multichannel processing. Or else, what you will get is muffled, soft or low level dialogue. Which reviewer from DVDShrine.com had experience, "…we are nine miles away from you…"
The "frontal" sound stage of DHS is aggressive with slams and bangs, but not to my RS45 which will show a sudden drop during the highest peak of actions. The "surround" presence is constant throughout the feature, without any lost of details.
For best experience of DHS, ear-covering headphones are recommended. The impact of PEARL HARBOR attack sounds great with my corded headphone, PHILIPS HP610.
On DTS5.1 surround,
Is BUENA VISTA following what CTHV had done to their SUPERBIT DVDs? With the front three channels set to balance with one another, the dialogue channel sounds softer than the two fronts…The dia-norm. effect?
The DTS5.1 soundtrack will drop your jaws, not just a simple wow. The movie's score sounds as clear and sweet as it can be, enveloping as well. The bass of this track is very strong, that HT owners of small HTIB (Home theater in a box) and mini cinema surround systems will fear that their sub-woofers will burst. Wide sound stage with aggressive effects, strong bass…You will not wanna miss this.
On DD5.1 surround,
Although DTS5.1 bests DD5.1 with its best bass and wide sound stage and strong impact achievement, it does not totally kill DD. DD5.1 have one little achievement that DTS5.1 don't have…constant clarity of the dialogue channel that well balanced with the front left and right channels.
Jaw dropping score of DD5.1…just a wow.
Equipment used:
PHILIPS DVD951, with on-board processing of DD5.1 and DTS5.1. SRS-TRUSURROUND virtual surround processing.
PHILIPS FR-755, six channel ready DPL receiver.
PHILIPS HP610, ear covering headphone.
SENNHEISER RS45 cordless FM headphone.
POLKAUDIO S6 & CS150 as front 3 channels.
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 3s as surrounds.
Analogue 6 channels connection cables used for linking DVDplayer to receiver- AUDIOQUEST TURQOISE 1M each.
DHS score: :star: :star: :star:
DD5.1 score: :star: :star: :star: :star:
dts 5.1 score: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks for the audio review. Did you get a chance to see/hear the trailers? Are they in 5.1 and how do they sound? Thanks!

YANG

Screenwriter
There is only a original teaser and a theatrical trailer in this release.The teaser is presented in DPL surround,in widescreen 2.35:1.The theatrical trailer is in 5.1surr DD,not in 2.35WS but a cropped image about 1.85:1.

YANG

Screenwriter
Sorry...The theatrical trailer is presented in 2.35WS and matrix surround,The teaser is in a cropped image of 1.85WS with 5.1surround.

Martice

Screenwriter
Were you able to differentiate between the many different tonal explosions during the bombing scene? I'm sure there was some below 20HZ stuff on this disk. I'm curious to find out how the lowest tones measured.

The closest I can come to the Arizona being blown up is U571 on steroids. The Pod Race to me comes in a close second with the vote on Titan A.E. still not conclusive.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yang,

Dialnorm affects all speakers not just the center,and DTS don't even have that feature.

I also noticed that on some dual soundtracked discs the DD sounded "center heavy" compared the DTS,I'm not sure,if that's your findings on the Pearl Harbor disc.I'm going to rent it soon and see[hear] what you mean.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This is a very simplified review but, the audio on the PEARL HARBOR dvd is THE BEST soundtrack ever produced on dvd thus far!
MY GOD this puts even Saving Private Ryan to shame! On my set up, the DD track had a much more fuller low end than the DTS, not to say that the DTS track didn't rock the joint! However the DTS was a bit clearer on the mid and highs than the DD, but again this is just my set up. In the end I went with the DTS track, I thought it was the best copromise between the two, clean crisp highs, and earth shattering lows.
It's a shoein for best sound and best sound editing come Oscar night that's for damn sure!

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Ok I rented this movie,and watched it in DTS with the Back surrounds engaged.
WOW!
I must agree with the positive reviews on this[sound],this soundtrack is among the very best,and easily the best that came out the past 6 months.[Final Fantasy close second].
I thought that the balance among the front speakers were exemplary,if most movies were mixed like that,I would be a very happy camper.;)
The bass is well defined,never boomy nor overwhelming,but hits hard when needed.
There are many instances,where the extension is below 25hz with high amplitude,so one needs a very capable sub to do justice for this soundtrack.Dialog music effects all sounded realistic,smooth and inteligable.
A true reference material!:emoji_thumbsup:

Dan M

Second Unit
My Panasonic RP91 seems to be having trouble with this disk in DD 5.1
I've had multiple audio drop outs from the very start of the movie. The dts track seems to be working ok however.
I've returned 2 copies and I'm now on my third copy. The audio still drops out when selecting DD 5.1.
I'm wondering if the DD headphone track is screwing with my player?
I've never had any problems before with any other disc on this unit.:angry:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Dan, the headphone track shouldn't be the problem, it's a totally different and isolated track from the main DD track. Perhaps you have a defective copy, OR your Panny may not agree with this disc, Panny's have always been a little screwy, I know, I have the infamous A110! She's fine most of the time however.

HankM

Second Unit
Dan,

I too have a Panny RP-91. When I watch the teaser trailer I get about 4 drop outs, the full trailer plays fine.

Dan M

Second Unit
I too have a Panny RP-91. When I watch the teaser trailer I get about 4 drop outs, the full trailer plays fine.
Hank,

How about the movie itself? Any audio drop outs? I'm just wondering if this a player specific issue with the RP91.

I've owned 3 Pannies so far and NEVER had any trouble with any disc before (other than a dirty disc). This is new for me.

I'm on my third copy and the problem still exists. The funny thing is, the drop outs don't always occur in the same exact spots. They seem to be random each time I spin the disc.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Hey John, I have the Panny A-110 too. I just got the movie yesterday. Have you had any problems with the movie? I know my Panny sometimes stumbles on some layer changes. I hope this one went without a hitch.

We will see.

Yang,

Are you saying inorder to hear the dolby headphone track properly,I need to set my receiver to stereo mode instead of dolby digital to hear it properly thru the headphone jack on the receiver?

I have the Kenwod 509 and it downmixes the DD track to stereo for headphones. They claim it downmixes the information from all six channels to stereo not just the front channels.

I have not listened to the dolby headphone track as yet. But I am going to give it a try today.

HankM

Second Unit
Dan,

I only watched the attack scene in DD, no drop outs. I finally watched the full movie last night in DTS and there wasn't any problems. When I watch the teaser trailer I get those drop outs in the same exact place and same amount. I had a Toshiba 6200 at one time and when I watched certain scenes from T2:UE in DTS I got drop outs, when I watched the full movie through there were none.

Dan M

Second Unit
I've only watched a little of chapter 1 so far.

DD audio drops out quite frequently. DTS seems to be working fine so far.

I haven't had the chance to watch the entire movie yet. I'll post my results later...

Shad R

Supporting Actor
This is the BEST soundtrack I've ever heard. I didn't think anything could beat Star Wars TPM, but I was wrong. I only have Dolby Digital, but it sounded AWESOME! My sub got a workout, that's for sure. No dropouts anywhere here.

Martice

Screenwriter
The best part is when the Arizona blows up and when Cuba Gooden Jr. is tending to his Captain who is dying and a big deep explosion causes him to jump. I thought it was funny that it also caused my wife, cats and I could've sworn, my couch jump or maybe it was just me.

I'll be checking out Jurrasic Park 3 tonight. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised with this one as well.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
The best part is when the Arizona blows up and when Cuba Gooden Jr. is tending to his Captain who is dying and a big deep explosion causes him to jump.
:eek:
Uh oh. I didnt hear that in my system. I guess I better hurry up on my first DIY sub. :D
Will X-mas ever come?

YANG

Screenwriter
"There are many instances,where the extension is below 25hz with high amplitude,so one needs a very capable sub to do justice for this soundtrack."

LEWIS, that is why i had stated in the review that the bass can pose some level of hazards to small subs,usually the HTiB ones.

TONY,

The downmixing feature is available to most of the makes in the market,both the receivers and players with multi-channel processing.I had tried the disc with another DVDplayer and a receiver,SHERWOOD NEWCASTLE R945MK2.

Both gives me same result of the DHS track,downmixing had to be done first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks