What's new

My VIDEO SCALER is making a Buzzing Noise... (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure if this means anything or not...

I noticed that starting sometime last week, my Key Digital HD Leeza began making a sort of humming noise. Kinf of similar to a kitchen fan on the lowest setting.

I have all of my components tucked away in a hall closet and so I only really notice it when I open up the door to put in/remove a DVD from my player. Otherwise, it seems to be working just fine.

But I can't say it's ever made a noise like that before. It's my understanding -- at least I don't think that video scalers should be making any noises at all... Am I wrong?

For the record, I generally never turn the thing off. My dealer told me that it's okay to leave it running all the time. When I began to notice the noise, I'd power it down and it'll start up again quietly and the buzzing noise would be gone. But by the time I'm finnished watching a movie and go to the component closet and open up the doors to remove the disc, it's going strong again!

I'm a bit concerned that my Leeza might be giving me a warning, and the last thing I want is to have it conk out on me. I only bought the thing a little over a year ago.

Any advice or suggestions on what to do and if this should even be a concern? Anyone else ever experience anything similar before? Is your scaler/processor noisy?

Any feedback would be really appreciated!

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Sounds like a power supply issue. My guess is that it has gotten hot, and something has warped a little, so that the power transformer can vibrate slightly. It may not have any effect on the operation of the unit.

Is the ventilation in the closet good at all? If not, don't leave your components on. Heat will build up.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Christopher!

I would say that there is sufficient ventilation in the closet, as it's pretty large. I will be sure to keep it turned off from now on when not in use.

I just finished watching a DVD a few minutes ago, and gave the Leeza a little "tap" after turning it on when I first sat down to watch the movie. When I did so, the buzzing stopped for a second. Than went right back again. I gave it a second little tap on top, and again it went silent. And again two seconds later, fan noise again.

I can live with the humming sound - I'm just worried because it was always dead silent before last week. I just hope it doesn;t manifest into a bigger issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks