My Varsity Blues died!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Clint
Last night, my wife popped Varsity Blues into one of the new DVD players I picked up Memorial Day and all she could get was a Disc Error message. I then tried it in the other new player with the same result. The last attempt was to play it in my HT. Same thing... Disc Error. Please check disc. There are no scratches, specs, fingerprints or haze on the play side. The disc looks to be in pristine condition and played fine about three weeks ago. This makes the third disc to crap out on me since my foray into DVD some years ago. The first two were The Kentucky Fried Movie and Ghostbusters and they both began to pixellate and froze. This is the first disc I've ever had which could not be recognized by three different players.

Anyone else have trouble with their Varsity Blues?

Ricardo C

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ricardo C
I'll spare you the "blessing in disguise" jokes

Are you absolutely sure it's not DVD rot? It sounds like the only likely explanation.

Mark Zimmer

Producer
Reaction score
Did you try cleaning it? Lasers are particular things, and they can be tripped up be things that you can't see. I've had several discs that looked pristine, but were unplayable until I gave them a cleaning, after which they worked fine.

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm

On the other hand, the same machine will play the most scuffed-scratched disc you can find at Blockbuster just fine.

John*P

Second Unit
Reaction score
Clinton: Just out of curiosity, how often did you watch those three dvds that crapped out on you?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Clint
Mark - I did try cleaning it to no avail.

John - Ghostbusters was watched maybe six times in the two years I had it before it gave out and had to be replaced. Kentucky Fried Movie started giving me trouble on about the third or fourth viewing. I think I had the disk for about a year and a half. I've had Varsity Blues for almost two years and my wife has watched it at least twenty-five times. (She used to watch it about once a month when we were dating and she would stay over while I was at work.)

I'm completely baffled...

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corn Pop