My van runs on water! -- NOT

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bryan X, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Last month I went to a local Speedway near where I work to get some gas. I put in about 10 gallons.

In just the time it took to drive less than 1/2 a mile to my office, the van started acting odd just as I was turning the ignition off.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but when I left work that afternoon I went to start the van -- it starts up, shakes, and promptly dies on me. Damn!

I ended up calling a tow truck. It's a brand new 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT so I had it towed to the dealership. It was at the end of the day, so they didn't get a chance to look at it until the morning.

Well, the next day they called me and told me that my fuel tank was frozen solid! (The service guy even guessed correctly where I had gotten the gas from).

I got the number to Speedway corporate and gave them a call. As soon as I started telling them the problem, they knew exactly the station I was referring to. I obviously wasn't the only victim. Needless to say, they reimbursed me for the water I pumped and said they would pay for the cost to fix the van (they even offered to get me a rental car, but I didn't need it).

After the van was at the dealership the first day I went to pick it up and they showed me a bottle of what they drained from my fuel tank. It looked like dirty rain water. It was white, cloudy; you couldn't see through it at all. Sickening. Not a hint of gasoline.

Anyway, I've had the van in to be tweaked a few times after that because there continued to be some hesitaton during acceleration and during idle. They are also replacing the fuel gauge sensor because that got screwed up too.

I think it's running back to 100% now, but being the paranoid person I am, I'm now questioning every little vibration and such while driving or in idle.

To any of you guys or gals that are auto gurus, is there any long-term damage that I should be concerned about that might not show up right away. The dealer said there really shouldn't be any problem. Is this true?

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Water?!? Yikes! Amazing.

They must have some sort of drainage problem leaking into their tanks.. I can't imagine anyone being so stupid as to put water in their gas and selling it.

3. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

No, they didn't put water the in their gas purposefully.

I think they are getting ground water into their tank under certain conditions for whatever reason. As you can imagine, I told my story to quite a few friends. One told me that it wasn't the first time that station has had problems with water getting into their tanks. I wish I would have known that sooner.

You can bet that will be one station I won't ever be visiting again.

4. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I woul think the local environmental agency might want to take a look. If water is getting in, gas might be getting out.

C. Ryan

5. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    CRyan,

Same thing I was thinking.