What's new

My Universal Wish List From the Kino Deal (1 Viewer)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
It isnt good? :(

Was really looking forward to the new For Whom The Bell Tolls. The beautiful Overure and Entr'acte have been dropped. That was enough for me not to purchase as the Victor Young score is one of my favorites of classical film music. Then read the reviews especially bluray.com Enough said. Oh well I'll wait for TCM to broadcast it again and record....

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
MYRT and MARGE (1933)

This title is so, so overdue for a proper home video release. It sticks out like a sore thumb when you look at Stooge titles not available on home video. It's arguably the team's best work prior to their long stint at Columbia.

Over the last several years, we've seen the solo Columbia shorts come out (Shemp, Besser, DeRita), the Shemp Vitaphones, several Healy MGM titles, the MGM shorts..... but no sign of MYRT and MARGE.

MYRT and MARGE should have come out years ago on regular DVD or certainly as an MOD while Universal was doing those. Hopefully Kino can give it the treatment it deserves.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Was really looking forward to the new For Whom The Bell Tolls. The beautiful Overure and Entr'acte have been dropped. That was enough for me not to purchase as the Victor Young score is one of my favorites of classical film music. Then read the reviews especially bluray.com Enough said. Oh well I'll wait for TCM to broadcast it again and record....

...which is why I still hold on to my DVD copy of the movie. Maybe Kino could put out a Blu-ray of the restored version?

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
...which is why I still hold on to my DVD copy of the movie. Maybe Kino could put out a Blu-ray of the restored version?
Only if they make further deals with Universal. For the current deal, they indicated that they are not re-doing anything already available on blu.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Don't know if this one has been mentioned...

Lonely Are The Brave

One of Kirk Douglas' best with an early score by the great Jerry Goldsmith.

Last edited:

Scott_Morris

Mostly Observing
Real Name
Scott Morris
If I remember correctly, a rights issue is holding this one back from release; it probably has something to do with Fields' grandson.

Re: “W.C. Fields and Me” (1976), that wouldn’t surprise me. And if that’s the case, I couldn’t really blame his grandson. I understand that much (maybe most) of the movie has very little to do with with historical reality, but I’ve always had a soft spot for those 1970’s depictions of Hollywood’s early years. Plus, I like Rod Steiger’s performance, whether it’s truly accurate or not. Speaking of guilty pleasures, I even picked up “Won Ton Ton” on blu when it came out, I’m mildly embarrassed to admit...

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Scott_Morris

Mostly Observing
Real Name
Scott Morris
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet, but I’d also like to single out Bob Fosse’s first directorial effort, “Sweet Charity” (1968). Saw a screening of it at UCLA the other night, and it’s a great time capsule of the swinging era, and a much better movie than its box office receipts would indicate. It would be great to see it on blu, with overture, intermission, and exit music included, along with footage of the different endings Fosse shot, if that footage still exists.

Last edited:

Scott_Morris

Mostly Observing
Real Name
Scott Morris
At the least, WC Fields and Me is available in HD on streaming services like iTunes and Vudu, so at least the content is readily available.

Yup, and I’ve got it! But there’s still nothing quite like the feeling of truly owning it by being able to hold that shiny little disc in your hands, eh? :banana:

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
From the top of my head here are some of my Universal wish list (provided Universal still hold the rights):

Raggedy Man
'night, Mother
Resurrection (1980)
Melvin and Howard
Uforia
Heartbeeps
Diary of a Mad Housewife
A Very Curious Girl
Red Sky at Morning
Mary, Queen of Scots
September 30, 1955
Honky Tonk Freeway
Mass Appeal
The Milagro Beanfield War
Henry & June
Jungle Fever
A Dangerous Woman
Primary Colors
Bright Victory
Bedtime Story

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
2) Some DeMille films stand out but The Crusades and The Sign of the Cross at a minimum seem much overdue on blu ray.

The Sign Of The Cross is being released in France on September 25th, along with, Reap The Wild Wind & Unconquered. I have the German release of Unconquered, & it looks superb, so I have high hopes of the other two DeMille's. I'm sure these will be on Kino's release slate.

Last edited:

larryj1

Auditioning
Real Name
larry
My list would be much too long. I want EVERY Universal(especially Universal)and Paramount film from 1929-1948. AND ONLY those that have NOT been previously released on DVD. Universal in particular has been very stingy in releasing their own film brand from that period. I realize that this is fantasy. I can only hope to get 2 or 3 new to DVD out of 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks