What's new

My Universal Wish List From the Kino Deal (1 Viewer)

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
I'd love to see the 1941 MGM version of Jekyll & Hyde on Blu-ray. There is evidently missing footage from that one too.

And someone mentioned All Night Long -- I would love to see that on Blu-ray, with the deleted scenes restored. Along with Up the Sandbox and The Guilt Trip it's one of Barbra Streisand's most underappreciated movies. A commentary track would be nice too. James Spada having passed away last year, Streisand experts Christopher Nickens and Karen Swenson would be ideal commentators.

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger
some great suggestions -- but how about some more previously unreleased films?

what about all the early Technicolor films -- there are quite a few starring Maria Montez including SUDAN, WHITE SAVAGE, GYPSY WILDCAT and COBRA WOMAN -- also EBB TIDE starring Frances Farmer ...or SONG OF SCHEHERAZADE starring Yvonne Decarlo

Why not release for the first time any of Dorothy Lamour's starring South Seas epics like TYPHOON, HER JUNGLE LOVE, ALOMA OF THE SOUTH SEAS , BEYOND THE BLUE HORIZON or RAINBOW ISLAND ??

I second the vote for ISADORA but the directors cut that was released on dvd in the US on VHS , not the dvd/blu version released in the UK which is missing important scenes ..

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
City Streets (1931)
Counsellor at Law (1931)
Broken Lullaby (1932)
This Day and Age (1933)
Little Man, What Now? (1934)
Four Hours to Kill! (1935)
The Plainsman (1936)
The Road Back (1937)
Easy Living (1937)
High, Wide and Handsome (1937)
Midnight (1939)
Union Pacific (1939)
North West Mounted Police (1940)
Hold Back the Dawn (1941)
The Great Man's Lady (1942)
Till We Meet Again (1944)
The Suspect (1944)
Christmas Holiday (1944)
The Story of Dr. Wassell (1944)
The Lost Weekend (1945)
To Each His Own (1946)
Two Years Before the Mast (1946)
The Exile (1947)
Night has a Thousand Eyes (1948)
Chicago Deadline (1949)
Alias Nick Beal (1949)
The Accused (1949)
No Man of Her Own (1950)
Bright Victory (1951)
The Far Country (1954)
Backlash (1956)
Man in the Shadow (1957)
A Time to Love and a Time to Die (1958)
The Last Sunset (1961)
The Outsider (1961)
The Shadow of the Cat (1961)
Freud (1962)
The War Lord (1965)
Stranger on the Run (1967)
Boom! (1968)
Secret Ceremony (1968)
Isadora (1968)
Death of a Gunfighter (1969)
Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here (1969)
Act of the Heart (1970)
Diary of a Mad Housewife (1970)
Taking Off (1971)
They Might Be Giants (1971)
Savage (1973)
Killdozer (1974)
Special Section (1975)
Casanova (1976)
The Savage Bees (1976)
Amateur Night at the Dixie Bar and Grill (1979)
Running (1979)
Resurrection (1980)
The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper (1981)
Comfort and Joy (1984)
The Glass Menagerie (1987)
Buried Alive (1990)
At Play in the Fields of the Lord (1991)
Talk To Me (2007)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Might as well face facts, the wishlist is basically what titles we have on DVD or are unreleased. I want every Universal title I have on DVD in Blu ray format
Narrowing it down the biggest / most desired ones on my wishlist
Among the Living
This Island Earth - domestic release
Night Monster
The Deadly Mantis
The Land Unknown - domestic release
Dr Cyclops
Man Made Monster
This Gun For Hire
The Big Clock
The Web
Tarantula - domestic release
The William Powell as Philo Vance movies

Last edited:

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I agree with most all of these lists! Hope I'm wrong, but will really be surprised if we see the most desired titles (DR. CYCLOPS, lesser Universal horrors, 50's Sci-Fi*). I became skeptical with all of the non-confirmations....I just knew the 1932 title would be MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE, and then the "no Bela Lugosi" titles statement. Maybe Universal is holding on to all of these gems for their own release or for Shout!, Criterion, or others to release. Hate to be negative about it, but just getting that feeling........desperately want to be wrong.

On the other hand, we might get some non-horror/sci-fi films like BEDTIME STORY, DeMille titles, etc, as many have listed. The recent German region B disc of UNCONQUERED (1947) sports a gorgeous HD transfer....that one would be great for region A!

*God, no CULT OF THE COBRA! (but that's probably what we'll end up with)

Last edited:

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Regrettably, NORTHWEST MOUNTED POLICE is another title where the underlying story rights have lapsed.

Mike S.

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
On another Kinote (heh, heh, heh), I've never understood how Kino-Lorber got their hands on so many Vincent Price titles when Shout! Factory released three box-sets of his movies, the majority of which were from the same studio. And for that matter, how did Theater of Blood end up with Twilight Time???

Snowjackal

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Provost
I'm really hoping for some 60's and 70's titles:

Secret Ceremony
Charlie Bubbles
Puzzle of a Downfall Child
Taking Off
Play it as it Lays
Two People
Blue Collar
Nunzio

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
On another Kinote (heh, heh, heh), I've never understood how Kino-Lorber got their hands on so many Vincent Price titles when Shout! Factory released three box-sets of his movies, the majority of which were from the same studio. And for that matter, how did Theater of Blood end up with Twilight Time???

I wondered about that as well. I did not purchase Shout/Scream's 3rd Blu-ray set as there were no titles that interested me. On the other hand, on their first 2 sets, every title was something that I wanted.

Other than the Dolls & Goldfoot things, I purchased all the other Kino Vincent Price movies (including the Western with Anne Francis), and I could not resist Theater of Blood so Twilight Time took my money for that (top flight Price movie).

All along I had thought that Shout would have a dynamite 3rd box set, but Kino got them !

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
Well, I thought Shout did a great job on all three Price sets. I also think that as long as Kino was releasing so many of his movies, they could easily have done a box-set. As for Theater of Blood, I have two Blu-rays of that one because the British release and the Twilight Time release have entirely different bonus features. (Same with Inferno, by the way.)

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Interesting lot of titles which I am also interested in Blu Ray editions. I should have had One Hour With You from France which came out the same day as If I Had a Million(which I got) but One Hour disappeared off my order and another Paramount title was announced scrapped. I have put it back in the cart but then I may not get it easily as Amazon is having a row with my government over sales tax that started in my country for imports from $1 and up from July 1 having delayed it from July 1 last year and they want 10% tax on postal or other delivery costs from overseas and the banks take 3% of the total if card used. So... I am angry and tried to speak to Amazon in US and my country. No response from Seattle and the runaround from the new local warehouse people which is near my house.

Paramount on Parade is one I had on 16mm at about 75mins TV length with a very gray(worn sound track) and only when I upgraded by Bell & Howell projector did I get sound I could hear with a stronger amp. This film was much longer with 2-strip Technicolor inserts. At the end of the film Chevalier does his Sweeping the Clouds number with the chorus/dancers and it is obvious in the print I had(can't find it now) that it was in color. Early in the century I read the UCLA report on their holdings and it was not that color sequences had deteriorated and been scrapped. One wonders, if this was so, why they had not been scanned to professional Beta tape just in case. Does any one know what the state of play is with this title?

The Sign of the Cross had a prologue added in WW2 with a war theme but I have never seen a print with this on it.
Sorry Wrong Number, and, Morgan's Creek have remained with Paramount and I assume right played a hand. However, Paramount had some nice films in the 30s and into the 40s I saw on the TV here when the MCA package was bought(included Gulliver's Travels then) but we did not see any of the earliest talkies that Paramount made like Tom Sawyer(love the late Tommy Kelly version) and Skippy for example. We can only hope while we are still here.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have been longing to see Paramount on Parade for many, many years. All one can get now is excerpts on YouTube with the most famous stars and numbers. Film historians have discussed the movie at length (Richard Barrios does a fine job with it in his wonderful book on early talkie/musicals), so a complete print is somewhere to be viewed (minus the missing Technicolor sequences only available in black and white), but it remains one of the early movies that's hard to get one's hands on.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Still waiting for ISTANBUL (1957) VOICE IN THE MIRROR (1958) BEDTIME STORY (1964) FREUD (1963) IPCRESS FILE (1965) SINGAPORE(1947) HERE COME THE NELSONS (1951). Why is it that one cannot obtain a rare film that has been shown on TCM? :> THE SHARKFIGHTERS (1956) United Artists<?? DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1932) is already out from Warner Archives! and with restored missing footage, and it's BEAUTIFUL!
The Warner Archive '32 Jekyll's on DVD rather than Blu-ray though, correct?

CHEERS! :)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
You didn't miss much with the WWII re-release of THE SIGN OF THE CROSS. Guys in an airplane flying over
Rome comment on it's history. Then it's a drastically edited version of the original pre-Code film. At the end,
the pilots are still yakking and it's the end.

The Sign of the Cross had a prologue added in WW2 with a war theme but I have never seen a print with this on it.
Sorry Wrong Number, and, Morgan's Creek have remained with Paramount and I assume right played a hand. However, Paramount had some nice films in the 30s and into the 40s I saw on the TV here when the MCA package was bought(included Gulliver's Travels then) but we did not see any of the earliest talkies that Paramount made like Tom Sawyer(love the late Tommy Kelly version) and Skippy for example. We can only hope while we are still here.[/QUOTE]

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I have been longing to see Paramount on Parade for many, many years. All one can get now is excerpts on YouTube with the most famous stars and numbers. Film historians have discussed the movie at length (Richard Barrios does a fine job with it in his wonderful book on early talkie/musicals), so a complete print is somewhere to be viewed (minus the missing Technicolor sequences only available in black and white), but it remains one of the early movies that's hard to get one's hands on.

I've been able to see the 1950s TV reissue version thanks to a VHS recording made off AMC in the 1980s (back when that channel wasn't so concerned with zombies). It's fun to watch but the tv edit was clumsily done (some segments were deleted but their introductions remain). UCLA has done a restoration/reconstruction which like you I would love to see. My understanding is that the UCLA version is similar to the reconstructions done for Lost Horizon, the Judy Garland A Star Is Born, and King of Jazz in that some sequences are represented with stills with audio while others have the film element but no audio. One restored sequence with the singer Dennis King had its audio reconstructed with a contemporaneous 78 rpm commercial recording that King made. The restoration team found with some computer manipulation the commercial recording could be made to fit the film. Maybe someday this restored version will surface (yes, I know some will counter that it does get some exposure on the festival circuit, but if you're outside of LA or NYC you're at a distinct disadvantage).

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
The Heiress
Anne of the 1000 Days
Isadora... original nearly 3 hour version

Not pleased by what Universal did for For Whom The Bell Tolls...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks