My uncle's old Polk speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Daniel J, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Daniel J

Daniel J Stunt Coordinator

I'm living with my grandparents for my first year of university, staying in a log cabin a little ways from the house. I like log cabins, and I don't mind splitting firewood, so I've been looking forward to this all summer. But nothing could have prepared me for the discoveries I've made...

My uncle was staying in the cabin while he and his wife were waiting for their visas to clear before he left for Kenya around three years ago, so they left alot of stuff.

Like a pair of Polk monitor 7s and an Onkyo stereo reciever/CD player combo.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've been using budget-quality headphones at home for the past several years, so this experience is absolutely euphoric. All my music sounds better. "Selling England by the Pound" sound like... ... I still can't put it into words! Movies sound awesome, though I wish I had the money to put together a sub that would compliment these speakers. But the bass is more than enough for my student-sized budget. Songs like "beauty never fades" from the Animatrix album take on an entirely new depth, with a kick drum that takes center stage and pulses your mind into hallucenation...

Now the kicker- I found a pair of monitor 5jrs in the basement of the house. Unfortunately one of the tweeters is missing. [​IMG]

The Onkyo stereo has an A+B setting: Would Using the 7s and 5jrs at the same time ruin the "balanced" sound I'm getting with the 7s? I don't really need more volume, but I figure it would be cool to try at the very least...

Where might I find tweeters for the 5jrs? I'm assuming it would be best to replace both rather than risk a mis-match due to age/etc. Are there third-party tweets that would sound good in these? Or would it be best to use Polk's stuff?

Any other enhancements I should look into to make my euphoria grow?

Oh yeah, and if I were to offer my uncle money for this setup, what would be a fair price? I figure it's better that it's being used and taken care of than sitting on a shelf rotting away, (or being eaten by those bloody rodents! [​IMG]) but I'd buy them if I had to...

2. Brad Russell

Brad Russell Stunt Coordinator

Daniel,
    Try polkaudio.com. They have a section to order spare parts as well as there own forum that could give you advice on what to pay for them.

Brad

3. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Sounds to me like your uncle blew the tweeter on his old pair of 5jr speakers and bought a new pair of Monitor 7s to replace them. You can get a replacement tweeter at Polk's web site. Join Club Polk to get preferred pricing. Should be about $50 or less to get a new tweeter. The speakers use different drivers so they probably don't go together optimally and it may not be worth bothering with trying to bring the 5jrs back to life.

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Those older Polk Monitors were very cool, my brother still uses my late-80's 5b's in his system. Shame about the tweeter. The tweeter they used in the Monitor series was a Peerless 810665, and I know at least one member here used it to fix his pair, but Parts Express lists it as discontinued. The Polk site itself may be your only recourse.

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Polk has a good reputation when it comes to support and service for even their older stuff. Definitely check them out and see what they got.

As for hooking two pairs of speakers up, you'll probably not get any benefit. Most likely the A+B setting just shares the same amps, so you'll just be splitting the power up between two speakers and possibly straining the amp too much. Unless you can verify that there are an extra pair of amps in there, there's no reason to bother. But then it's your ears, so it wouldn't hurt to experiment all the same.

6. Daniel J

Thanks for all the info, guys.
    I'll probably use the 5jrs as surround speakers if I ever upgrade to a HT amp, but that'll be a while. I'll check out the polk site for that tweeter. (I guess I should also replace the grille for one of the 7s...)

Would stuff like this be cheaper to get through a local polk dealer? I'm in Canada, So sometimes duty/etc. makes online ordering a real PITA, especially if they insist on UPS.

7. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

"and I know at least one member here used it to fix his pair, "

Hey, it's nice to be remembered. I'm the, or at least a guy who bought a Peerless tweeter from Parts express for a Polk Monitor 7. I think Madisound had the same tweeter for the same price, which was about half of what Polk wanted.

About $30 plus shipping as opposed to $60.

Well worth it, though.

8. Daniel J

Eeep! I don't know if I dare buy anything from madisound. Going to that website is always risky... for my wallet. [​IMG]
    Thanks for all the help.

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The Madisound site does still list it for $29.50, just in case. [​IMG]

10. Daniel J

Oh, there it is... Thanks!