What's new

My Ultra experience (1 Viewer)

Robert M

Agent
Last night I was finally able to integrate the new CS ultra package into my system. I am going to keep this very short by saying that the thunderous sound now eminating from my H/T is the reason I purchased this equipment. With that in mind I can say that I am more than pleased. This product needs to be experienced to be appreciated and dollar per pound of exitement this product produces, far surpasses any other component in my system.
Equipment
Davis DL450
DVDO
Stewart 120" c/w power masks
Denon AVR5800 Rane PE-17
Denon DVP5000 Nyles power protection
Denon PV5200
Samson 1000
M&K S150THX-(4)
M&K SS150THX-(2)
M&K SC150THX
M&K MX350THX
M&K MX200
SVS CS Ultra-(2)
Clark tactile-(4)
H/K CDR-01
[Edited last by Robert M on July 26, 2001 at 03:19 PM]
[Edited last by Robert M on July 27, 2001 at 08:15 AM]

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,
Thanks for the thumbs up. Given that list of equipment that's quite a comment. Nice to know we can improve even the finest HT!
Ron

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Short and sweet.
wink.gif

I still love the fact that the enclosures are made of Sonotube. It was kind of interesting for me because around the time I got my 25-31PC, my townhouse complex was installing lamps outside... and guess what they used?
laugh.gif
It looked like there were SV subwoofers all over our courtyard area.
wink.gif

------------------

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I believe that the CS Ultra no longer uses the Sonotube but instead uses a propritary tube built for these subs.
Did you try plugging the lamp posts into your system to rock the neighborhood? :)
Parker

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Hi Robert... Congrats on your new subs. I have the fever as well and I'm looking to upgrade my M&K sub. Would you mind me asking what the CS Ultra (2) package cost you in CAN $$ (with the taxes, shipping, duty etc etc).
I am also looking at a Velodyne and Paradigm, so I'm trying to compare apples to apples with comparable $$ at the same time.
Thanks Robert.
Herb.
------------------
System - Lexicon MC-1, Bryston 9B ST & 4B ST, Pioneer Elite DVD DV-05, Martin Logan (Ascents, Aerius i's, Scripts & Cinema), M&K 75 sub, Richard Grays 1200S, Sharp XV-Z1 projector & Da-Lite Cosmo screen.

Robert M

Agent
Herb
I can't remember exactly, but I believe with PST,GST, Duty,brokerage and a little paperwork charge, your net will be about 4900.00. SVS pays for all shipping cost. If your main listening agenda is going to be movies, I can't begin to tell you how good these things are, however for two channel music I would highly recommend the MX350THX. I have not experienced the brands you are looking at so I can only comment on the M&K. If you want to knock off both demands for a little more money, I would go with the Ultra's. I am currently running with all sub's, but in a blind test I doubt if one could tell that the M&K,s are actually on.
Hope this helps
Bob

J

John Morris

Although I have never owned an M&K mx350, I did own an mx90(later renamed to a mx-?). As noted by Robert, I too felt that the M&K subs are a very tight, "musical" subwoofer. That was the original reason that I first chose MK over the other subs available. I eventually replaced my MK with a pair of SVS 20-39cs subwoofers. Although they absolutely kicked ass when used for movie playback, I too thought that SVS was not as tight or as good when used for music playback. Then... I sold one of my SVS subs. Now, with the overall bass level down a notch, I realized that the single SVS sounded much more responsive, more "tight", more obedient when playing back music. Hmmmm, said I. I realized that the SVS pair extended not only lower than the MK but that they played much louder at those lower levels than the MK. That, combined with the low freq output from my full tower speakers, made the multi-speaker, multi-directional bass sound somewhat muddied and somewhat less tight than the MK. With only one SVS sub available, it sounded like a super MX-90 subwoofer. Of course, the MX-350 is a wonderful sub and probably sounds heads and tails better than my old MX-90, still, now that I have a single Ultra(which replaced my pair of 20-39cs subs, I can't imagine a subwoofer which plays louder, lower and cleaner than this subwoofer does...! If I ever move to a larger room, I will definately want another Ultra too!
------------------
Take Care,
merc

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
>
Ah I see... learned something today. Missed that, but it's clearly mentioned on the website I now notice.
>
I only wish.
Eug
(Now owner of an SVS 25-31PC and a Panny RP91 because of the Home Theater Forum effect.)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Robert... thanks very much on the pricing info. $4900... wow. That pretty much opens up the door to purchase anything with those kinds of figures....
John... thanks for your info as well re the M&K. That one is also on my list. My current preference is 65% HT to 35% 2 channel... but that changes all the time.
Herb.
------------------
System - Lexicon MC-1, Bryston 9B ST & 4B ST, Pioneer Elite DVD DV-05, Martin Logan (Ascents, Aerius i's, Scripts & Cinema), M&K 75 sub, Richard Grays 1200S, Sharp XV-Z1 projector & Da-Lite Cosmo screen.

Phil Truong

Auditioning
I second Robert's opinion. My room is 20x17x8 ft with one side open. My speakers are all calibrated Von Schweikert VR-8s main, LCR-31 center, 4 TS-210 surrounds, Sony 9000ES preamp, ATI amplifiers. The dual CS-Ultras rock the house! I find myself turning the volume down 5 notches because it's too loud. I have one in the front right corner and one in the rear left corner. I don't know how to make this system sound any better, except 2 more CS Ultras, one for each corner. Please excuse me for not naming previously used subs, just to avoid naming and conflicts, etc.
One thing I don't like is the position of the binding posts.
I have banana adaptors on my speaker cables, but there are not enough clearance to plug them in. I have to use bare speaker wires and plug them into the binding posts holes.
I don't really like the black cloth covering tubes around the room, but from the looks of the subs, I can easily make myself a fabric tube of the same dimension with big rubber brands on each end to slip them on and cover them up, easy mod.
Looking at these subs, I wonder if they can be modified to use as double duty: a subwoofer and an ASC tube trap type. If I wrap fiberglass around the CS Ultras and cover with nice Gilbert of Maine fabric, they'll look almost like ASC tube traps, but with a subwoofer inside, just curious if they can really trap anything?
Phil
:)
------------------

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I second Robert's opinion. My room is 20x17x8 ft with one side open. My speakers are all calibrated Von Schweikert VR-8s main, LCR-31 center, 4 TS-210 surrounds, Sony 9000ES preamp, ATI amplifiers. The dual CS-Ultras rock the house! I find myself turning the volume down 5 notches because it's too loud. I have one in the front right corner and one in the rear left corner.
I don't really like the black cloth covering tubes around the room, but from the looks of the subs, I can easily make myself a fabric tube of the same dimension with big rubber brands on each end to slip them on and cover them up, easy mod.

Phil Truong

Auditioning
I calibrated all speakers at the same level with the subwoofers +6dB above. The dynamics and punch attack factor just make the movie watching experience so much more dramatic, it's unbelievable. I first thought four 15-inch woofers inside my Von Schweikert VR8s are enough, but 2 more CS-Ultras just lift it to a whole different level.
Phil
------------------

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
Hey tom, is it usually better to put both subs in the same corner?
I have heard one in each corner can create standing waves that cancel each other out or somthing to that effect...
True?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Hey tom, is it usually better to put both subs in the same corner?
I have heard one in each corner can create standing waves that cancel each other out or somthing to that effect...
True?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks