My TV's Speakers Still Hum........................

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ScottCHI, Apr 6, 2004.

1. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

................even though i have the tv's speakers turned completely off in the setup menus. it's a non-hd 32" sony wega. is there any way, short of opening it up and disconnecting the speakers, to get rid of the hum. unplugging every other item in my ht setup still doesn't get rid of the low-level hum that the tv's speakers put out.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Not a terribly difficult thing to do...opening it up that is. Have you always had the problem and does it go away if the cable is disconnected entirely from your system?

3. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Does your TV's setup menu have a "speaker off" setting?

Alternatively, does your TV have a headphone jack? On some TV's plugging into the headphone jack disables the speakers. Just use a jack from some cheapo headphones and cut off the wires.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

you may be stuck.

my friend has a center speaker that hums ... even when completely disconnected from his system.

we figure it's the coil in the back of the tv tube sending some sort of electromagnetic force -- which in turn is causing the speakers to vibrate -- just like they were connected to an amp.

but, taking apart a tv is pretty easy -- just be sure you don't touch the tube - it's still charged!!! then you can just disconnect the speaker wire. with any luck it's a harness setup - that way you won't have to cut any wires.

5. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i may be. this television has always done this, everywhere i've lived, even if it's the only thing in the room that's plugged in, even with the cable disconnected, chu. it's very, very faint and is really only an issue when i'm watching something late at night, with my system at a very low volume, anyway. then i can hear it.

if i turn it off it, though, it stops. hehe. [​IMG]

maybe i have little tv dismantling project for this weekend.

i'm sorta surprised i've not seen this complaint from other owners of the same tv, though.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Might not be the speakers then Scott but some other part inside that's vibrating. A kid's stethascope is sometimes useful for things like that. Wear a white coat, but not the short one, otherwise you'll look like a barber and not a scientist.

7. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

but it's so hard to get used to wearing the ol' white coat without the straps buckled.

it's definitely speaker buzz