What's new

My TV screen wobbles, need help!!! (1 Viewer)

Gabriela Mendez

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Phillips 36" HDTV with DVI, PIP, etc. I have 2 sva1600 JBL's side by side. To the right of this, I have a rack with DVD, receiver, and a 5 CH amp. My screen wobbles in 4:3 mode (on the black lines on the sides you can tell). I have noticed this disappears in Widescreen mode, but the image becomes distorted on the upper left corner. The wobbling happens on both sides of the screen. Could this be because I have ac / speaker / component / etc. cables one on top of the other? It also happens with regular antenna channels. I am not sure if it's because of the speakers or the ac outlet having too many items hooked up. Please help!

:frowning:

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
On some TV sets the entire picture varies slightly in size depending on the overall brightness, sometimes those scan lines that are brighter are a little longer making that part of the picture a little wider. This may change quickly and continuously making the sides of the picture wavy. The underlying cause is poor voltage regulation within the TV circuits.

Too many devices connected to the power outlet can contribute to this, especially if the picture wobbles relative to the audio level.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Gabriela Mendez

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks!

Could this be solved by one of those fancy Monster powercenters? Some models are pricey. Would anyone recommend these? Worth the money?

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Are the speakers shielded? Could they be too close to the TV? (Magnetic interference).

You may just have too many digital devices on the same circuit. In our old apartment, I got vertical lines slowly streaking down my computer monitor. It was just too many devices (my wife's PC & monitor right next to it, included). That's a good suggestion. Test and see if you get it with less power being used (unplug a lot of devices).

Gabriela Mendez

Stunt Coordinator
I disconnected everything and put it away from the TV. Looks like the problem's solved. The only trouble is I need to re-install everything. My speakers are shielded.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks