What's new

My TV is always on (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pearson

Auditioning
My TV (Panasonic CT-36HX40) is on about 4-6 hours per day during the week and 7-9 hours per day during the weekends. My roommates are always watching it. Should I be concerned about any extra wear this is causing the TV or am I just worring too much? Any input would be appreciated, Thanks.

DougRuss

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, that's normal in my house! :D
Been doing that with my Sony RPTV for 11 years now and haven't had a problem?
Don't worry about it !! Enjoy it !!;)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Well, if the TV is CRT based rear projection set- the CRTs will fade over time simply from the degrade tubes- natural for this type of technology.

For the most part, the wear should be essentially not noticible and should happen gradually. However, watch you contrast levels on the set. They usually default to CRANKED TOO HIGH- which could result in problems.

If you roomates tend to stick with one channel- and the contrast is high- you run the risk of burn in of screen logos or other related stuff (like the navigation bar on your cable or sat system).

Do a search here in the display area for "screen burn" and you'll find some additional info.

Overall you should be fine. Granted, there are a finite number of hours available on the tubes- and they will beusing them up more quickly than if they weren't watching-- but with CRT life at 10,000+ hours- you should have a good 7-8 years in that set even with the number of hours your is on... I don't know if you have much to worry about.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks