My TV goes B&W!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_D, Oct 13, 2001.

1. Scott_D

Scott_D Stunt Coordinator

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I have this problem of when I hook my DVDrom to my tv the image only ever turns out Black & White.
    I have a 1.2g athlon tbird, Geforce 2 pro with tv out, pioneer DVDrom.
    When I turn the settings in display properties(advance settings - Geforce 2 properties) to display on the tv the image of the computers Desktop is B&W.
    Does this happen to anyone else?
    Does anyone know how to fix it?
    Also, I am in Australia so I need a PAL setting but the leadtek display prioperties for Geforce 2 do not include an option for Aussie PAL. Which do I choose?
    Thanks.

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Sounds like your TV is going into pseudo-NTSC mode when it receives the NTSC video signal from the video card. That would explain the picture not having any color. Unless the video card has a PAL output option your only other solution would be to use a multi-standard capable display to enable use of both NTSC and PAL signals.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

3. Scott_D

Here's kind of a followup.
    My brother has exactly the same video card and hooked up his computer to the tv and it worked fine.
    Is there any kind of bios setting they I may need to adjust?

4. DinoT

DinoT Auditioning

Scott,
    I am taking a stab at the obvious here. I am basing this advice on the assumption that you are connecting to the TV via s-video cable.
    Check the pins of your s-video cable. I have had this happen to me twice. (With a dvd player and a sat receiver) In each case I had one pin that was bent/damaged on the s-video cable.
    Dino

5. Scott_D

Thanks for the advice. However, I am using a composite video cable to connect the computer to the video to the tv.
    Going through the video doesn't matter because my brother did the same thing the other week and it worked perfectly fine.

6. Scott_D

New info!
    After recording using the video player the B&W desktop, we play it and it is in colour. But just watching it normaly it is in B&W.
    Is this more of a tv,video problem or computer problem?
    Thanks.

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

There is a form of NTSC occasionally found outside North America called NTSC 4.3; the color subcarrier is at 4.3 MHz instead of approx. 3.58 MHz. If the video from the computer does not match the TV in this regard (may be manual settings for this) you get a black and white picture.
    Also double check to be sure you are using the yellow video jacks and not the green Y component video jack when connecting up composite video.
    More video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm