What's new

my tv emits a high pitch squeek (1 Viewer)

I have one of those 27" Apex TVs from Circuit City (the $200 one), it works great, but when I watch TV every 5 seconds or so it squeeks, it doesn't do this when watching a movie though. Could I possibly fix it by getting some kind of line conditioner or something?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Is it a high-pitched whine? All televisions produce a whistle-like noise close to the 15 kHz range when they're turned on. But you say this occurs at five-second intervals only when watching broadcast television.

Perhaps you could describe the noise a little further? You say "squeeking" noise. Do you mean it sounds as if parts are rubbing together or something like that?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
If it's pretty new, return it for an exchange. If under warranty, send it in. If none of the above, I doubt conditioners would cure this problem.

Good luck!
Alfer

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I know I can, Robert. When I was growing up, my parents absolutely refused to believe me when I told them I could tell the family television was turned on even if the sound was completely off. The old 1964 Admiral color TV had a quiet on/off knob, so I told them to turn the set on very quietly while I went to one of the rooms on the other side of the house. I told them I would yell out loud when the set was turned on. After numerous trials, I was batting .1000.

To this day I can hear the high-pitched whistle of a functioning television.

Roger Li

Grip
I'm with you Jack. My wife can't figure out how I know that the TV is on when the ReplayTV is off and there is no picture or sound from the TV. Glad to know I'm not the only one :).

Does anyone else's have a squeeking interval though? And mine is louder when im watching cable, rather than a movie.

Roger Li

Grip
Have you tried fussing with the cable connection, maybe it is loose or a bad cable? If not, my best guess is that its the TV. I've never heard good things about Apex brand products (other than they're really cheap). My brother bought an Apex DVD player a while back, and it would just not play certain DVDs. I told him to return it and buy a low-end Toshiba for a few more dollars. He has had no problems since replacing the Apex.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
have you noticed that the whine is more apparant when text or graphics are on the screen? i often find that to be the case. totally annoying....

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If that were the case, I'd say the contrast must be at its maximum setting. When the picture goes into severe video distortion during especially bright scenes the audio responds with a harsh, blaring noise. But I don't think that describes the original problem. It's the periodic frequency of it that stumps me.

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
If you bought it from CC, they can look up the receipt when you take it back for exchange.

Batting .1000 . *grin*

I agree-- TVs make a distinctly audible high-pitched noise.

Me

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the intermittent whistle is the (approx.) 15 KHz vibration of the flyback transformer or nearby parts, all I can think of is something loose inside the TV that changes position every now and then so it vibrates and whistles more at some times than at others.
I used to be able to hear that whistle that every standard TV put out when operating, that was 20 years ago. I had tested my hearing in a college physics lab and could hear up to 18 KHz then.
And I had heard the whistle change tone or loudness slightly on some TV sets even in response to scene changes on the screen. I don't know how to describe the change.
Now I can't hear it any more. I tested my hearing again, at a science museum, and it goes only to about 12.5 KHz and I am afraid there are dips in my ears' frequency response under 12.5 KHz.
Maybe I will never again be able to savor the high quality sound from today's mid and upper level home theater audio systems.
At least I know not to argue with anybody who says he does or does not hear a funny whistle when a TV is on.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks