What's new

My TV broke....screen turned yellow..??? (2 Viewers)

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a 5 year old, direct view, Mitsu 36" TV and the screen all-of-a-sudden turned yellow. For instance, where there should be white, it's yellow. If it should be red, it's red w/ yellow tint. My whole room now has a yellow hue to it and it's making me ill. Does anyone have a clue what went wrong w/ this? It may be a blessing, as I have my eye on a Sony 36" XBR. If it's just a tube or cheap fix I might just get it fixed....thanks!:frowning:

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Allen, thanks for the reply. It's like the whole screen has a yellowish/greenish tint to it; like you're watching it through green glasses...pretty weird stuff. I'm hoping to have it fixed, as this was $1,500 new.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If you use a magnifying glass, you can see if there is a complete lack of blue on the screen.

Once you determine that you need to find out whether the picture tube or the supporting circuitry has failed (if you want to take the effort for a 5 year old TV).

For a direct view set, "gun" refers to a small component in the neck of the picture tube containing a filament that is capable of burning out. If you were to take the back off the TV (careful, high voltage exposed) you might see that there are just two glowing orange dots in the picture tube neck instead of three.

Replacing the picture tube is more expensive on average than replacing one of the circuit boards if the latter had failed instead.

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
I've got (guess what) a 5 year old Mitsubishi direct view 35" TV. The model number is something like CS35607, don't remember off the top of my head. Anyway, the blue has gone out completely, leaving a yellow or green hue to everything. Sound familiar? But in my case, a few days after the blue went out, the green went out too, so everything was a beautiful shade of red. A couple of days after that the blue came back, giving me a lavendar purplish color.

One thing I noticed is that the bitmaps in the on-screen menus are still full color, including blue and white. This seems to indicate that the tube is just fine, but the circuitry is failing. Do your icons still show up full color?

As long as I'm posting I might as well ask...anybody have a guess what might be wrong, and how much it might cost to fix?

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, and let me guess...AndrewW, you got your TV at Ultimate Electronics too? I'm guessing our TVs are brother and sister.

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
daryl...sounds like we've got the same set-model #. I got it in SLC somewhere. ACtually, even the volume and other on-screen icons have the same problem.:frowning:

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Daryl...one more thing.......did you end up getting it fixed? What was wrong? Or are you just living w/ it?

Allan, also, great link; bookmarked, thanks!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Darryl: When you mentioned that the blue went out and came back, etc. another possible reason could be poor connections where things plug together (including the socket at the back of the picture tube). Usually such poor connections are cured by unplugging and replugging twice. It is not a bad idea to have a serviceman do this because of nearby high voltage connections.

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't gotten it fixed (yet). Since Andrew's icons are messed up too, it probably isn't the same problem as mine.

I hope it's something as simple as a loose internal connection. I'd sure like my TV to last another couple of years, long enough for internal ATSC tuners and digital-cable-ready connections to be standard features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks