What's new

MY TV BITES!!!! Help! (1 Viewer)

matthew_bieschk

Auditioning
Ok, here's the scoop. I've got a TV with 1 S-Video and 2 sets of component inputs (right/left/video), and a receiver with plenty of S-Video inputs. I have a DirecTV/Tivo receiver and a DVD player that I'm mainly concerned with. I'd like to be able to watch TV without powering up the whole home theater receiver - I thought this would be easy. I ran the DirecTivo straight into the TV (component cables), and also through the receiver (S-Video), and ran the DVD through the receiver (S-video). Then, I've got an S-Video cable going into the TV. Figured when I wanted to watch TV/DVD in surround, I'd just power up the receiver - NO WAY --- my tv automatically switches to the S-video input whenever it is connected!!!

Anyone have any ideas for how I can get this to work? I just don't want to have to power up the receiver every time I watch tv, but still want to take advantage of S-Video. Thanks in advance.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Matthew- On some TVs the "auto detect" feature may be optional. In other words, you might be able to turn off the feature that automatically sets your TV to the S-Video input when you first turn it on.

I don't know if that would help or not, but if it does you might want to check your TV manual to see how to turn off this "feature".

Good luck!

Steve K.

JasonDG

Grip
I'll probably get flogged for this, but here's what I did.

I turn on the TV in the morning to watch the news before work. So, I don't want the whole surround sound system waking my wife up. So I just ran a simple RF connection to my tv's antenna input. I can switch from Input 1 (with everything) to Ant A (which just has satellite). It uses the TV speakers. I don't realy care about the quality when I'm just watching the dopes on the local news.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
So your TV has no way of switching inputs manually? (i.e. no TV/VCR button on the remote)? What make & model is your set?

matthew_bieschk

Auditioning
The TV is a 32" Panasonic - CT-32G23. I can switch inputs, but when the S-video connection is made it overrides other video connections. So even if the S-video cable is plugged in but no source is connected, it will override the other inputs.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Matthew- You might want to check your owner's manual, as I'm sure there is a way you can override the default to S-video. After all, surely Panasonic would realize that there may be times when you'd use an input other than the S-video. You should be able to specify that you don't want s-video as the "default" input. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the Panasonic, but there must be a way to do this. Perhaps somebody out there has your exact model and can be more helpful

Good luck!

Steve K.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FYI: Component does not carry any AUDIO signal. Component is 2 color channels and a grayscale, so your TV does not sound like it has any component video inputs at all.

There is no reason to loop the S-video to the receiver at all, if you only have one S-video source. Unfortunately this also means that your TV may only have ONE video input channel, which can be EITHER s-vid or composite, not BOTH, that is why the s-vid overrides. I have a feeling you will not be able to bypass this "feature". You might try one of the other composite inputs to see if there is one that does not get overridden.

Wayne Clark

Agent
I think Matthew means he has two composite connections (right/left/video(yellow)). It is possible you hooked the composite from the DirecTivo to the composite associated with the S-Video input. Try using the other set of inputs. It is also possible that the DirecTivo will only use one set of outputs. If you are useing S-video from the Tivo unit to the receiver and the composite from the Tivo unit to the TV, maybe on the receiver is getting the signal.

Anyway, try using the other set of inputs and set what happens. As mentions above, you will have to change/select the correct input. Wayne.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Matthew, others have probably mentioned this but the Svideo and one composite (L/R/V) (not component which is analog video only - red, blue, and a luminance signal) are being shared. Your tv most likely has built in logic that when something is plugged into the Svideo port, it overrides the composite input. The only solution to this is either to not use that composite input (use the other one) or to lean back and unplug the Svideo connector every time you want to use what is coming in via the composite input. Many tvs have this feature of sharing inputs. Make sure to read your manual to see exactly what it says about this. Wayne may also be right that the DirecTivo is not doing parallel output. This is what I would try as experiments:

(1) Make sure the Directivo's composite output is plugged into the tv's composite input that is not shared with the Svideo input.

(2) See if this changes anything.

(3) Unplug the Svideo output from the directivo.

(4) See if that changes anything.

If #3 does the trick, then the problem is that the directivo is not outputting video in parallel to all its outputs. Perhaps it has a configuration option to tell it which output to use. Or it may simply behave like the tv and use the Svideo if it finds something connected to that port.

good luck,

--tom

cheers,

--tom

matthew_bieschk

Auditioning
Thanks to all who responded. First of all, I did mean COMPOSITE and not COMPONENT in my original post. I've also solved the provblem, thanks to everyone's suggestions. Turns out the DirecTivo was plugged into the same set of inputs as the S-Video cable coming from my receiver. Once I moved the composite cables from the DTivo to the other set of inputs, everything worked fine! Thanks again to all who responded!

-matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks