My trusty LD player died recently. What to do?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christian Behrens, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Ok, so I have a Pioneer CLD-D605, which was working just fine, until some day not too long ago when it wouldn't switch on anymore, at which point I noticed that the standby light was off, too. I assume it's related to the huge blackout we had a couple weeks back.
    So there is obviously something wrong with the power supply, and a friend and I looked at it and couldn't really locate a problem.
    Am I correct in assuming that fixing it would be more expensive than just trying to locate a similar model (I paid $200 for it some two years ago)?
    Also, where would you even find a good repair shop these days? Anyone know someone (preferably in the SF East Bay area), who might have decent prices and could have a look at it?
    Would I be able to get a new power supply (pcb) from Pioneer maybe? Check out this page:
    http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...delNum=CLDD605
    What's a "POWER SUPPLY ASSY"? Could that be it?
    Ok, I realize these are many many questions, so to cut it short: what would you do?!?
    -Christian

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Arts TV in SF (The Sunset) fixes them, $40 + parts (if they can get them).

I would open it up (no power) and see if a fuse blew; should be near where the AC cord is. No fuse and the PS died, that generally is expensive.
    I have a 504 that I hardly ever use if you cant get it fixed.
    BTW you can get a whole house surge protector that goes into the fuse box for about $75 that will save you at times like that.
    My upstairs neighbors ate it good last summer (dryer, garage opener, computer etc), I had a couple wall warts die
    Good Luck
    Grant

3. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Hi Grant,

Thanks for the info. No, it's not just the fuse, unfortunately. He thinks it's a capacitor, so I guess I will see if I can contact the guys you mentioned and see how much it would cost.

I also appreciate your offer for the 504. How much would you want for it?

-Christian

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Somewhere around $150 - $175 range. email me if 1 day your interested

Blown cap SB reasonable, Good Luck
    Grant

5. GeorgeTW

GeorgeTW Stunt Coordinator

i know this is not the best way to look for a replacement, but I've found many median-level LD players in pawn shops, usually between $40-$80 for one in which the display lights, the tray ejects, but the store doesn't have any disks to let you test.

I had a Pioneer 660 for almost 10 years, and it blew something in the power supply. I went and found a CLD-990 for $50 in the pawn shop that plays perfectly.

The only think it lacks is S-Video connection, so I am once again perusing the dark side. For whatever reason, pawn shop owners don't assign much value to these machines, so it's all good for someone like me.

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

generally the svideo connection is a step down from the composite on most LDs.