What's new

My Trucks Transmission Is HOSED! What's it going to cost to fix? (2 Viewers)

Andy_S

Second Unit
I went to lunch and my automatic transmission started making a horrible grinding noise when I started moving. Once it got going the noise went away but there was major slipping coming out of first. The rest of the gears seemed fine. Later on, I put in in reverse to back out of a parking spot and nothing happened. It was like I put it in neutral. Not knowing what to do, I kept it in Reverse and pushed the truck with my foot. Then the gear grabbed and I was able to go in reverse. Putting it back into Drive made horrible grinding sounds again but I was able to get it going. Now I'm back safe at my office but I'm worried what the cost of the repair is going to be. I'm wondering if it's even worth fixing. Here are the specs:

'93 Ford Ranger
Automatic
2 Wheel Drive (Rear)

Anyone have any experience on the cost of fixing something like this? This really sucks! I can't afford this right now! I guess it's always like that though.

Andy_S

Second Unit
Yikes. That's probably more than what the truck is worth. Do you think a dealership will take it as a trade-in in its current condition?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
got any friends that are handy with a wrench? I don't know how hard it is to swap an auto transmission, but it can't be TOO bad. I'd buy a cheap used trans from a wrecker and swap it out, or at least try to... I bet a used trans would run less than 500 bucks
but, maybe it isn't dead yet? you checked the ATF fluid right or anything? it could always be something simple? maybe? I dunno.
my roommate let someone try to rock her car out of a snowbank last winter and they slammed from D to R too fast and trashed the governor. a 50$ part and 500 bucks in labor :angry:

Andy_S

Second Unit
I don't have any friends that are that handy. Plus it has some other problems (alignment, burns oil, and cracked windshield) so I don't think I want to devote too much time and money on it.

I don't think it's something simple. The slippage is pretty severe and the grinding noise is loud. Plus, it won't go in reverse unless I push it.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
If you do the used thing, your looking at about 4hr (let's say a labor rate of $70) so about $280 in labor plus the price of the used transmission. Even though you have the 4ALD tranmission, you need to specify your motor size, as some of the component parts are different even though Ford ran this tranny on all Ranger models that year.
In short used transmission $450-600 (it is electronic, so a bit more)
Plus about $280 in labor(includes parts transfer)
In short full overhaul:
your local transmission shop should be able to match my price of $1250 (in and out) overhaul. Business is slow, so throw that number out to them.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
I just had my Ford 4ALD transmission, in my '94 Exploder, rebuilt in March by an independent shop (as opposed to an AAMCO). The damages were right in the neighborhood of $1300.00, within 5% of the estimate. AAMCO estimated $1800.00, sight unseen.

There was a small surcharge because, unlike your Ranger, my Exploder is 4-wheel drive. So, if you shop around, call every tranny shop in your phone book, check with friends and co-workers who might be able to make references, you might be able to get out of there with a two-wheel drive tranny for around $1200.00.

I was sent to this tranny shop by a co-worker of mine, who has used him before and recommends him. He was less than anybody else I contacted and he had good references.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I was sent to this tranny shop by a co-worker of mine, who has used him before and recommends him. He was less than anybody else I contacted and he had good references.
Sounds like we are talking about the same shop? I only know of one guy in Anaheim:)

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I don't go into that, "Cost more to fix than it's worth" bullshit. If you love your vehicle a lot, then you don't mind putting more money into it than it's actually worth. We put almost $4000 into my 1984 Toyota Van to have the engine rebuilt. The van was given to me anyway, by my uncle. I plan on putting at least $700 to get my A/C fixed. I love my van very much, and I plan on keeping it on the road as long as I live. So, if somebody tells you it'll cost more than it's worth, tell him to buzz off. All that matters is that you love your vehicle and you don't want a new one.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
The AT on my wife's 96 Cavilier went out and we got the same quotes as above, about $1,500-2000 at a shop. Went to the salvage yard and had Fred our mechanic put it in, all for around$500. I had to settle for a tranny with over 50,000 miles, but you can't be without your car for long so you make do.

Good Luck

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
You could always take the truck to one of those "Every trade gets $999" sales. They have them around here all the time - $999 for your trade, running or not. Basically it's $1000 off any car on the lot and they'll junk your beater for free. People tow old cars in, etc, just to get the deal. :)

Users who are viewing this thread