My trip to New York City

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Francois Caron, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I've just posted a New York City trip report on my Web site with plenty of pictures. You can find it at http://www.milnoc.com/NYC .

I will definitely return there one day. There's still so much to see and study.

2. Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown Supporting Actor

That was very well written and I enjoyed reading about your vacation.

3. Doug:Li

Doug:Li Stunt Coordinator

nice pictures and write up! The subway info was great, its going to help me when i use it.

I was at the Chelsea star hotel last year. I stayed with my wife and 2 friends in a "quad" , ill never do that again. It was a broom closet with two rickety bunk beds. We all couldnt stand up at once , there was no room. Needless to say, its not in the online pics. But i shoulda known when it was that cheap for a hotel room. And the noise. Oi. No sleep that weekend...

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Cool info about the 7-day metro card, didn't know about that.

Plan on seeing a show next trip? Nothing like a lil Broadway while in New York. [​IMG]

5. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

he mentioned that he saw The Producers.

I enjoyed reading your outsiders account of the city I live in.

The majority of foreigners you probably encountered are probably ones that deal directly with tourists, so I don't think your impression of them is really accurate.

Most Indians; Asians, Blacks and Hispanics live out in the boroughs ... which are beautiful to explore as well.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Francois,
    Where did you eat while you were there? I was there just May of 04. I want to go back soon and hit the museums.

7. Francois Caron

Francois Caron
    Museums. Here's some extra advice. First, make sure your shoes are properly broken in and COMFORTABLE! Your feet will thank you. Second, if you're slightly overweight and there's a spot between your legs that comes into contact when you walk, get some Gold Bond body powder and put some between your legs. If you don't, your feet will be the LEAST of your problems! Rub-a-rub-rub! [​IMG]

Restaurants. I don't really know their names, but I do know their approximate locations. One was a fifties style diner at the New Yorker hotel. I ate a turkey sandwich one day (rather dry and chewy) and a chesseburger platter another day (gave me an upset stomach -- the only time NYC food affected me that way).

Another restaurant was the Italian restaurant at Grand Central. I ordered the lunchtime special. Not a huge dish, but was it ever delicious! And the included chocolate cake dessert was really good but incredibly rich!

I also ate a Caesar Steak dish at a restaurant on 7th near Madison Square Gardens. It was only a single dish but it was very good and they didn't drown the Caesar salad in dressing like so many restaurants have a nasty habit of doing.

Another restaurant was about one block south of David Letterman's theater on Broadway. The steak was only adequate, the fries were those crappy coated kind, and the vegetables were from frozen and a bit overcooked.

Most of my breakfasts involved ordering the syrup loaded breakfast sandwich at McDonald's on 8th between 33 and 34 Street. About five bucks including potatoes and juice. Quick and cheap.

When visiting the Museum of Natural History and the Met, do stop by their cafeterias for lunch. They serve very decent meals at reasonable prices. I didn't get a chance to eat at MOMA's cafeteria, but just ordering a coke was a bureaucratic nightmare!

I also ate a veggie pizza slice at a local chain pizza place on 8th near the St-James theater. Quick, good and dirt cheap without actually tasting like dirt. [​IMG]

Aurel, my observations on the people are highly preliminary, based on a six day trip spent exclusively on Manhattan Island. As I've mentioned, we practically need a scientific study of the people of New York in order to understand what makes them tick. My observations on the hispanic community however is partially based on what I've encountered at a convenience store near the hotel, a non-tourist establishment apparently owned by a hispanic family. The clerk at the convenience store appeared to be perpetually pissed, and his family members weren't that much better!

I was thinking of getting into the movie industry one day. It might be interesting for me to do a documentary on New York City people from the perspective of a French Canadian citizen. I was very surprised to see just how much resemblance there was with the English and French in Canada and the English and Hispanics in the U.S.A.

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Interesting perspective.

Where have you encountered these people? Can you go into more details? Can you describe them physically?

--
    H

9. Francois Caron

Francois Caron
    Holadem, I can't really answer that clearly because none of the people I've met fit a specific body type or style. They can be short, tall, light, dark... My observations of the locals are based on their individual attitudes, not their external appearance. And as I've said, this was after visiting the city for only four full days (two of my six days were for travelling).

Your question got me asking where I've seen these people before. Then I realized they reminded me of French Canadians before our Quiet Revolution over forty years ago. Maybe I'm more sensitive to what I've seen of the Hispanic community because of the ressemblances to my own community.

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

The reason I asked is I suspect your experience of this community was limited to the extremely low wage earners that you will find cleaning or stocking shelves at the overpriced Manhattan delis ($14 for a Heineken 6-Pack [​IMG] ), unloading delivery trucks or working in restaurant kitchens. And the reason they appear unfriendly and paranoid? They often barely speak english.

But that is not representative of the communities at large at all. My experience of hispanics in NYC and elsewhere is that they are a wholesome, proud, vibrant, friendly, and family loving community, the furthest thing away from the grumpy paranoid freaks you describe. It's a bit of a shame that you didn't experience that, but it's normal, if as I suspect, you stuck to Manhattan below central park north.

Now if you had told me that every other girl above 15 was pushing a stroller or every other guy drove a noisy 2-door coupe with shiny rims and 2inch clearance from the ground, that would have rung a bell [​IMG].

Anyway, just trying to paint a more balanced picture, not at all trying to attack you or anything. Your observations are genuinely interesting and a pleasure to read.

--
    H

11. Francois Caron

Francois Caron

What? The vehicle doesn't have a Variable Height System? [​IMG]

You're right about the location being a factor in my skewed observations. That's why I want to do more research on the matter, especially when what's broadcast on the major news outlets is mostly useless, usually dealing with all of the negatives and non of the positives.

$14 for a beer?!? Man am I ever glad I don't drink! Maybe that's why I thought the meals weren't all that unreasonable. [​IMG]

Thanks for the feedback!

12. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Also,Contraly to the rest of the country, Mexicans are nowhere close to being the dominant hispanic community in NYC, they are third. There are far outnumbered by Puerto Ricans and Domenicans in that order. I believe the numbers are (approximately) 1,000,000 (PR), 400,000 (DR) and 200,000 (M). Therefore in NYC, hispanic is not equal Mexican, like say in California.

It is also likely (this is anecdotal) that the low wage earners described above are Mexican, or central and south american, groups that do not have the long standing roots in the city that Puerto Ricans and Domenicans enjoy. it is my understanding that the Mexican community is rising, I remember some article to that effect.

My first residence in the city was smack in the middle of the Columbian neighborhood featured in the excellent movie Maria Full of Grace. I lived in the basement of a Mexican family.

Sorry 'bout the rambling and the thread hijack, I just like demagraphics and diversity stuff and NYC is such a rich cultural landscape. That and I think latin women are the most beautiful creatures on earth :b.

My current residence is a bit diverse as well. Living in a homogeneous society is booooooooooring...

--
    H