What's new

My Toshiba died. I need help picking a new DVD player (1 Viewer)

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I have a Toshiba 2109 that is dying. I need to get a new DVD player but doe not know what to get. I have heard that the Panasonic RP-56 is a great player. I have also heard that the Panasonic RA-60 is a new model. From what I have read the RP-56 has progressive scan. The RA-60 has DVD audio. Is there a difference in picture quality or other features? I only have a JVC 27" television but I am hoping to get a big screen next Christmas. Although my wife wants a new car............ I realize that the RP-91 has it all. I just can not afford that. I just got an Onkyo 595 and a SVS 20-39. Can you guys help me? How good is SVS audio and are there a lot of cd's out there that play it?

David Biggs

Agent
Hi Brian, I looked at the RP-56 last week and was very impressed. But, since your only inputting to a regular TV, the progressive scan feature doesn't do you any good. If it was me, I'd just grab a cheaper player(Sony 400 maybe?) and save the coin. By the time you get the Widescreen, progressive scan DVD players should be a better deal and you'll be able to take advantage of the higher resoulution it will offer.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Also, the 4700 (which I got for Christmas) plays MP3s without a hitch for me. Im not sure if Toshiba fixed the problem with their new batch of DVD players or if I am just lucky. This was a problem most people had on this forum but it wasnt a deciding factor for me so I bought it anyway and to my suprise the MP3 player did in fact work on every disc I threw at it. I used two computers, an HP and a built from scratch computer to burn my cd's and they both worked. I also used PNY, Sony, and some no name brand CD R, 80 minutes and they all worked as well. Im not sure if this is the right place for this but I thought it should be mentioned. With that said, I would love the 4700 even if it didnt do MP3. Great picture and great price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks