What's new

My Toshiba 50HX81 a lemon?? (1 Viewer)

GregAK

Agent
Just wanted to share this.

On 6/9/03 I purchased a manufacturer refurbished Toshiba 50HX81 on Ubid.com. It took over 3 weeks to deliver it to me. Then the first day I had it, it locked up on one source and I couldn't change settings, channels, or sources. When I turned it off, it wouldn't turn on again - the power light would just blink. After leaving it unplugged for a while, it would work for a few hours before locking up and by the 4th day it was getting picture distortion and then shutting down. After the 4th day it died completely and did not come on again.

It took 2 weeks to get a tech out to look at it and he determined it needed a new power board. That, of course, was back ordered and it was 4 weeks before they came out to replace it. In the meantime, I called Toshiba to complain and request a replacement, but they denied me stating that I had to allow them to try to fix it. Two days ago, they replaced the power board and the tech said it was fixed. Well, after being on for 4 or 5 hours the TV's picture went to a shade of pink and it locked up on the source again. After I turned it off, it would not turn back on ...again. The old power light just started blinking again. I called Toshiba again and was again denied. I just have to let them keep trying they say. After a day, the TV turned on again and seemed to work fine until I went to bed last night.

Sorry this is long, but I'm extremely frustrated. Does anyone have suggestions, recommendations, or similar experiences? Thanks.
greg
P.S. Thank God I bought an extended warranty.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Is Ubid.com an authorized Toshiba reseller? Somehow I doubt it. If so, Toshiba is not going to replace the set. And, yes, a set that repeatedly malfunctions, even after it is claimed to have been repaired, is a "lemon."

Sorry you got burned.

GregAK

Agent
I called Ubid and a supervisor there insisted that they are indeed an authorized Toshiba reseller. I guess I should probably check with Toshiba to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks