My Toshiba 50H82 has finaly arrived!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by greggor, Aug 16, 2002.

1. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Yesterday my Toshiba 50H82 arrived from Onecall.com. I haven't had alot of time to tweak it yet, but right out of the box the picture is stellar! I will be picking up a copy of the Avia disk this weekend to do a proper calibration. I will post more later once a full calibration has been completed. If any of you have any questions or advice fire away.

Take care,

Greggor

2. Sumir B

Sumir B Agent

Hey greggor, several people have reported a hiss comming from their stock speakers. Does your TV do this also? This is comming from posts off of hometheaterspot.com

3. Dan Graz

Dan Graz Auditioning

I've had my 50h82 for about a month. No hiss, just a great
    set.

4. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    No hiss here either. The stock speakers are in no way comparable to a good set of home theater speakers, but they are adequate for watching just local channels.

Dan,

I am getting ready to calibrate using AVIA. What kind of settings did you get on your set? Thanks.

Greggor

5. Tim_B

Tim_B Agent

Hey Greggor,

How did the calibration go? I am considering the Tosh (or Panny 53"). How does you TV look when viewing NTSC? How far are you sitting away from it?

I am trying to get as much empircal data, before pulling the trigger.

Thanks,

Tim

6. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Tim,

The calibration went very well. Surprisingly enough though I was actually pretty close with my original settings.

I sit just about 10 feet away, which I think is perfect for the size of this Set. I am still in awe over how well the colors look. Every color is vibrant and realistic, the overall picture is magnificent.

Like you I also considered the Panny, however I chose the Toshiba for just a few reasons. I really liked the stretch modes on the tosh. over the modes on the panasonic. I also preferred the Tosh. over the panny due to its protective sheild. I know this is obviously a personal choice, and I will admit that it adds glare to the picture, however with a two year old running around its a must. I found the picture quality of the panny to be comparable to that of the Toshiba, and I think I would have been happy with either choice.

One more thing, I did prefer the esthetic beauty of the Toshiba over the Panny as well. The build quality of the cabinet is very good.

Good luck,

Greg

7. Tim_B

Tim_B Agent

Sounds very nice. Are you happy with cable/dss reception? I am going to pull the trigger this week (actually I said that last week!). Am I am still concerned about the 53" screen size on the panny. The tosh may be a perfect compromise.

8. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Tim,

I am currently using a direct TV satellite system as my cable source. The picture quality is bearable. Unfortunately after veiwing DVD's satellite seems very sub par.

I am planning to upgrade my reciever and dish to a High Definition model within the next few months.

9. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt

10. Tim_B

Tim_B Agent

Greggor, how far do you sit from your tv?

11. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg

12. Tim_B

Tim_B Agent

Do you know what the depth of the 53" is? I thought it was 24". I have a 12X12 room, so if tv is 24". I will have 10' and the couch is 1.5 from the wall, I would have 8.5 feet from the TV which may be fine for the 53"

However, if the TV is greater than 24" I may have a problem.

13. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

I will second Vlad's opinion. HD HBO is incredible. Now how much longer before TimeWarner in Memphis gets more HD programming is the question of the year.

14. Tom Trz

Tom Trz Agent

Greggor, sounds like one-call did you well...I've never made a major purchase so I am hesitant...how long did it take to get the tv?

15. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

I just ordered the 65H82 from Onecall.com. I'm just a few states away from Washington but I received my TV 2 days after I ordered it. Once it's on its way you get ahold of the freight company (or they call you) and set up a delivery time-frame. Very easy, very satisfied.

16. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    One call has been great during the whole process. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. Infact a friend just got his new set from Onecall just two days after ordering it!

You can't beat their prices either.

Greg

17. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

how would you say the pic quality compares to the 51 inch sony model?

18. GregoryKrolczyk

I too recently purchased a 50H82 from Onecall. Other than the fact that the delivery truck driver was a real ass (not Onecall's fault, though they were quick to respond to my complain about him) - no problems. As a matter of fact, delivery was way quicker than I expected. The set is awesome, and no hiss.

19. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg

20. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I just placed my order for the 50H82 from Onecall. It is going out today and I will schedule the delivery tomorrow. I hope it arrives by the end of the week so I can enjoy week 2 of the NFL on the new set. [​IMG]
    Now I need to buy a new progressive scan DVD player. [​IMG]
    -Dean-