My Toshiba 40H80 Woes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Doring, May 30, 2001.

1. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

This has been a terrible week. First, I ordered a Toshiba 40H80 from Ken Cranes. They delivered it last Friday and, despite the salesman's assurance, it was not new in box (it had dust and scratches!) and was not manufactured after January 2001 (December 2000 was the manufacture date). I refused the set on site, but the delivery men said they had to leave it at my house and couldn't pick it up until Sunday. I said fine. While it was in my possession, I turned the set on and attempted to play some DVDs, just to get an idea of how the picture would look. Well the picture was wonderful, but there was a problem: after the set was on for a few minutes, the picture would go black. The sound continued to come through the speakers, but no picture! I unplugged the set for a while, went back, plugged it in, started it up, and it played for a while and then went black again. Ken Cranes later picked it up, but said they had no new 40H80s in stock and so I cancelled the sale. This puts Ken Cranes (and Toshiba) on my shit list.
    So I went to Best Buy that day and ordered a 40H80 from them. It arrived today, brand new and in box with a manufacture date of April 2001. So I plug the TV in, press power, and...no picture. The red light on the front panel flashes and the set emits a strange clicking noise. I called Best Buy and they said they'd deliver a new one on Saturday and pick this defective one up.
    So what is it with the Toshiba 40H80? Everyone raves about the picture (and I can see why, because it's beautiful) but what does it take to get a working sample? I realize that this is a relatively inexpensive TV, but having it work would be nice. In my online investigations, it appears that there are certain problems with the sets that numerous people have had, but if you get a functioning sample, you've got a winner. Hopefully the third time will be a charm.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"

2. JasonZ

JasonZ Agent

i feel your pain brother!
    as you can see by my post on the board, my 40h80 is not functioning properly either (green problem). i was thinking the same as you that "this is an inexpensive television" at first but i think we really need to take a step back and look at that. this may be an inexpensive tv comparatively speaking to the people in our "peer group" (ie, this board) but if you really think about it, how many people do you know in your regular life that owns a $2500 tv (or a $500 progressive scan dvd player for that matter). it blows my mind how complacent we have become (myself included) with poor quality products. unfortunately, i guess this is the price we have to pay for cutting edge technology. i really hope that we both get our "problems" straightened out and boy am i glad i bought the performance package from my retailer. good luck to you and please post your results as i will also, maybe we can help others through our troubles!!!

3. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Best Buy delivered my third Toshiba 40H80 today, and, miracles of miracles, it seems to work perfectly! The date of manufacture is May 2001. The TV turned on fine and has been playing DVDs without a problem since this morning. Geometry seems to be just about spot on as well. I'm extremely pleased so far...I just hope it continues to work flawlessly for years. We'll see.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"