1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

My Titans came in, and they are V3s!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Garcia, Feb 7, 2002.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I was wondering why they were taking so long. I had ordered V2s, eventhough I had just seen the V3s in S&V. I wasn't sure if they were available yet, and when I asked my dealer, they weren't sure. They took a week longer than expected. I got them home, and did not even notice anything until I went to hook them up. As I was popping the bananas in, I noticed the little tag on them said V3 [​IMG], so I looked at the box, and it also said V3.
    Visually, they are identical to my V2s, as far as I can tell. Sonically, they sounded a little different, but they are not broken in either. My V2s are a little over a year old. Unfortunately, you cannot remove the grilles, so I can't SEE the difference. I ran them for about 6 hrs yesterday, and I will do that again tonight, and after a week or two, I will do a side by side with the V2s again.

2. Everett A

Everett A Agent

Hmm, I would think that the v2 and v3 would sound different (or else no reason to change it, right?). This may not be as good as having them matching for your 5.1. I wonder if you bring this up, if they'll give you a very fair way to trade in your v2's to get another pair of v3's. Fair to me would be a somewhat nominal cost to upgrade. You DID order the v2's originally, so I would hope that they understand.

3. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Does anyone know what the differences are supposed to be between the V2 and the V3? By this I mean what aspects of the speaker have been upgraded.

4. John Garcia

John
    In the S&V article, they used the Legends and CC270 V3s, and it looks like the tweeter plates are different, though I believe they are the same type. The midbass drivers look like a new design, kind of like what PSB uses, with the dust cap protruding to a point.
    Everett -
    Actually, these are not for my main system, they are for the bedroom (replacing V1s that I sold to a friend to help her out), so it is OK if they sound a little different. They certainly don't sound worse [​IMG] They sound close enough that I don't think one would notice in a 5.1 setup, but I agree that it would be better to have all the same. (The V2s are already pulling duty as surrounds in the main system.)

5. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

There were no design changes at all to the Micro, Atom or Titan.

6. John Garcia

John
    I didn't think there were, but why the V3 designation then?

7. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Probably because of the radical changes they made to the Phantom and the Legend which are part of the same 'Performance' series plus the addition of the CC270 to match the Phantom and Legend, they designated the entire 'Performance' series V3.

It says right on our new price sheet for the Atom, Micro and Titan, "no design change - will be designated V.3 as V.2 runs out".

Prices went up a bit though too on them.

8. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

They just rebadged them V3 so that they would match the parts of the line-up that actually did change significantly.

i.e. the new center, the Phantoms and Legends.

I'm curious as to why the new mid-bass driver didn't make it to the Atoms and Titans though.

9. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

i asked paradigm the same question. heres the email response i got:

Hi

Improvements were made to the components in the Titan v.3 but the sonic performance characteristics are virtually the same as the v.2

Sincerely,

Gary Takeda

ParadigmTechnical Support

10. John Garcia

John
    I heard about the price increase, but I still got them for $189 - black, shielded from the shop I normally deal with. No complaints [​IMG] Thanks.