What's new

My three step process to moving to separates and getting everything I want. (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
It's time to begin upgrading my center piece of my home theater. I was formerly using a Yamaha RX-V800 which I thought was great, but died last summer after 5 or 6 years of use. Due to low cash flow I picked up a low end Yamaha receiver from BB as a temporary fix until I could have the time and the money to make an upgrade.

I was at my local AV shop the other day, Whitby Audio, and one of the sales people were playing DTS demo material (scenes from Hero, Master and Commander, etc) through a Paradigm Monitor series setup. I have the exact same setup for speakers with the exception of my DIY surrounds. His demo blew my mind. The sound was astounding. Crisp and clean, but very warm as well. It also seemed very 3 dimensional rather than 2-D like I feel mine is sounding. The receiver being used was a NAD T743. The is the lowest model for NAD and it sound leaps and bounds better than what I had. So that's when the bug bit me.

Other models of receivers that were there were Marantz (SR4500, 7500, 8500), Denon (3806, 2806), Arcam (AVR300) and the NAD model.

I went away remembering all this models and decided to start researching. My dealer has always been pro NAD but I am a person who researches purchases to death. In the last 48 hours I have jumped from wanting the Arcam regardless of cost, to the denon due to features and my use being 95% HT, plus the additional savings, then over to the NAD T763 or 753.

What I have come to the conclusion is that there is no one receiver that is available at this moment that can do it all. I'm not a bells and whistles guy. SQ is first and foremost in my ears. So I was leaning towards the Arcam. Problem is, is that I also want to be able to have full HD usefulness from a receiver, so it was on to the Denon. But from my research, Denon will not give me that musicality that the NAD or Arcam will. I also wanted power incase of future speaker upgrades, so I was looking at the NAD T763, but it is still missing the HD stuff I wanted. So I was stuck.

There are three main things that I am specifially looking for. #1 is SQ, being warm, clear and not fatiguing. #2 is power for future speakers. #3 is to be compatible with the future HD technologies.

Then it hit me. A 3 step plan on how to get all three. My plan is to start off with the NAD T743, from what I could hear and the reviews around the net it will be great for what I do now. Then upgrade to a 5 channel power amp (I'm a 5.1 guy) (most likely NAD as well) so I have the extra power for the future. And finally, wait for a pre/pro in the next year or two that will have HDMI switching that has the 1.3 spec for HD audio and video.

It may cost a little more in the long run, but gives me time to plan and save and get everything I want in the end.

Any thoughts?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Does that low end yamaha receiver that you're using now have pre outs? If so why not buy the power amp now and use the yamaha as a pre pro for awhile before getting the pre pro. That way you won't be buying a receiver that you don't intend on keeping.

I have another option for you but I'll email you the details as it pertains to some gear I have for sale.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

I wish it did. My old Yammy had preouts and I would be one step ahead. But unfortunately it does not. The current receiver doesn't even have binding posts, just guilotine connectors.

This is not to say this is a bad receiver at all, but I know my tastes and my love of this hobby.

And that is where the 3 steps comes in. I needs something that will improve my sound right away, but I am going to limit the budget to spend on a dedicated amp. Then start saving and wait for NAD or a company like ARCAM so come out with a preamp/processor with the inputs and processing abilities to cover all the future needs as well.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
If you want a temporary solution to SQ why not buy an older model AVR in the price range of the NAD? You might can buy near flagship models at about the NAD pricing for some of the AVRs that has been around for about 5 years and most of the upper model AVR's have pre-outs as well. You'll have to wait on the video switching though.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

I have thought of that, but I figured I'd either move the receiver to another room(ei bedroom system) or I would sell it to a friend.

I was looking at older Denons, or Marantz, but I think since I haven't bought a new receiver in over 5 years that I want to splurge a bit and definitely want more of the NAD sound. Plus I am looking forward to getting back into buying from my local dealer rather than a place like BB.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Yes, you forgot to invite me to live in your HT room for the next few years!

Sounds nice man, not a bad plan at all.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I think it is a pretty good plan. The whole point is to be able to improve my system, which I find to be lacking very much due to my last receiver dying and getting temporary cheap replacement. But also do it in a way that is not going to put me in serious debt.

I also don't want to upgrade twice when the get the HD formats and upgrades settled.

I'm really looking forward to going to my local shop this weekend and do some testing. I'm pretty set on the NAD T743, but as I mentioned before I have become accustomed to do a lot of research prior to purchasing.

Adam Smith

Agent
I don't mean to hijack your thread but if you're interested in getting rid of that Yamaha for a good price, let me know :] I don't know enough about home theater to give you any useful insight whatsoever on your purchase.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks