"My Three Sons" Season Sets - WHEN?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Rodney, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

I would love to see My Three Sons season sets available.
    Anyone have any information for this series?

(And yes, I did do a search before posting)

2. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    No information here, but I have a soft spot for this series, being one of "three sons" myself. I would love to get the B&W episodes on DVD becauase I think they're the best of the series.

The 12 year run of this show and the fact it isn't all that well known to modern audiences will probably hamper efforts to get this out. I know Hallmark was showing episodes awhile back, but I haven't seen this on Nick at Nite (TV Land) for quite awhile.

Steve

3. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I really enjoyed this show, and wish it was showing on TVLand. I would be TiVoing all the eps, then transfer to DVD for myself at least!

4. Mark Lx

Mark Lx Second Unit

You shocked me when said 12 seasons, so I looked it up on TV tome. I realized that I probably have never seen the early B&W episodes. Didn't even know they existed. I thought the show started with Ernie and Uncle Charlie. Haven't seen it over 15 years though. It says the B&W stuff wasn't in syndication before the 80s.

BTW, Double Indemnity is one of my favorite films

5. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i would love to see this series as well, but i agree that the size of the series and the fact that more people (like me) are really only familiar witht he later color seasons, would create a problem.

was always one of my favorites though.

6. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Any update on the Douglas Family coming to DVD?

7. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Mine too [​IMG]

I also liked MTS, but this is one of the few series that I seemed to like better in the later color season years for some reason. Most series best seasons seem to me to be in the 1st 1-3 seasons, my opinion. Not sure why I prefer the later seasons with this series...a few exceptions but I usually only get the 1st 1-3 seasons of DVD sets except for my "fanatic" series ("Combat!" being one of these)

8. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

I always liked the first b&w season of "My Three Sons," the ones directed by Peter Tewksbury. Some very offbeat stories and direction. But, I'd go for the color ones, too. The series was never one of my top-flight favorites, but I did enjoy it, and like a number of other vintage family sitcoms, I seem to inordinately miss it, the longer it stays away. Same thing with "Father Knows Best," "Hazel," and "Bachelor Father," among others.

9. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Any new word on this show? TVLand showed an episode the other day, and it got me wishing I could get season sets!

10. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I liked the early episodes best too with William Frawley and Tim Considine

11. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    As an aside, Fred MacMurray's widow, June Haver, passed away yesterday. Their romance was one of the sweetest in a town not known for long marriages.

As for the show, I'd still buy it, although given that its not widely syndicated anymore I'd be surprised if it ever got released. The B&W episodes were some of the best half hours of comedy I've ever enjoyed.

Steve

12. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

This show is a definate buy for me when it comes to DVD.

13. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

you'll never know. I'd argue that Doris Day and I Married Dora are far more obscure than My Three Sons and we're seeing those on DVD. Anybody know who has the rights for MTS anyways?

14. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

I am jonesing for My Three Sons. I guess I will have to pull out the old VCR from the closet and watch the tapes from years ago when TVLand did the weekend Marathon of them.

I wish the powers that be would release uncut season sets of this. I am sitting here, wanting to give them my money!

15. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

It appears very unlikely that this is on anybody's radar at this point. Looking at the Paramount website it says the first 5 seasons haven't even been transferred to tape yet. That means Nick @ Nite must have been showing the original film elements back in the day.

Incidentally, not that I want to make MTS fans feel any older than we are, but Don "Robbie Douglas" Grady turns 63 this week! That's only 10 years younger that William Demarest was when he joined the cast! Time marches on.

Steve

16. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan

I just watched a b/w ep of MTS on the Columbia House "Mike" tape, which included shows from the first, second and fifth seasons featuring Tim Considine. The Columbia House episodes look like they're from unremastered original film elements, even being a little muddy in spots like a second- or third-generation dupe (I assume my tape is the real thing!).

Chevrolet sponsored at least the first two seasons of MTS, going by the "Mike" tape, with Hunt's Catsup on board for the fifth season. It would look awkward on DVD if certain sponsor-related things were cut out. The animated hands in the opening credits "squash" MacMurray's name to reveal "and as Bub, William Frawley," then squash Frawley's name to reveal the Chevy logo. The logo then fills the screen and dissolves into a commercial for the 1961 Chevy models, on one of the early episodes. Closing credits of Chevy shows have Chevys traveling down the road in the background, although I think these were left in for syndication.

Some opening credits are preceded by a close-up of MacMurray saying something like, "Stay tuned for our Chevy show." The fifth-season ep has the Hunt's logo in the corner of the credits. At least one show on the tape concludes with the cast members sticking their heads out of the front door of the house, with MacMurray's head above Frawley's and the sons and Tramp down below. MacMurray opens and Frawley concludes the following phrase (or something like it): "Tune in again next week when Chevrolet once again brings you . . ." Then the boys say, taking one word each, "My Three Sons," followed by a bark from Tramp. I'd love to see all of this preserved in DVD season sets, natch.

17. Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn Supporting Actor

I'm glad that I recorded them all in the mid-80s when they ran on Nick at Nite. They were complete, running about 25:30 - 26:00. Nick was great back then as they didn't cut anything at all. It wasn't until the late 80s when they got Make Room for Daddy and the syndicator sent them butchered episodes that ran about 21:30. They put it on the air and no one complained so thereafter they edited all of their programs. But Nick ran the first 5 and best black and white seasons as well as the last season and a half of color that was not in the syndication package either.

18. Elena S

Elena S Supporting Actor

Alpha Omega has been known to leave the original commercials in the shows they release. Although the quality is less than stellar, it would be better than having nothing. Maybe we could campaign to have them release the show -- at least some "best of" episodes. I'd really rather have the black and white ones, with William Frawley.