What's new

My Three Sons: Season 1, Vol. 1 (1 Viewer)

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Here we go again.

Good grief, Paramount! Stop letting lawyers make artistic decisions, and hire some qualified film music experts instead.

So what's the issue this time? More unclearable Capitol Music Library cues?

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
This is amazing. Given that the on-screen credits have not been doctored in this case, I wish we had confirmation from an official or even a second source, but alas Jim B.'s comparisons to his unedited copies of the shows sound pretty detailed and persuasive.

(Jim, incidentally, your earlier post, which I misread, is right about Braverman's website now having the "several ... shows" wording. Last time I checked, he'd removed all mention of music rescoring. I can't believe he put that back on there, since I know several journalists pestered for comments because he was the only person publicly fessing up to having been involved.)

I have to agree with MatthewA. I won't purchase any other CBS/Paramount releases, even the ones they get right, until it's clear they've discontinued this practice. A really bad decision on The Fugitive is one thing, but consumers made their disgust for the music replacement known (not just privately, but in the trades and the mainstream press), and for CBS to continue releasing shows they've rescored is to openly flout the taste and intelligence of their customer base. Not that I'm suggesting a boycott would do any good, but I can find better things to do with my money than give it to a corporation that treats its cultural legacy like this.

And, also, while it was appalling that new names had been inserted into "The Fugitive," Orwell-style, it may be even worse that Frank DeVol, Jeff Alexander, etc. are now credited with really crummy music that they didn't compose. Talk about turning over in their graves.

Jim B.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Hi Stephen,
Maybe you think I am just kook and am all mixed up about the music, I understand so if you want to try out this DVD set at a big savings I have a copy that I will sell for $15 and that includes the shipping! Let me know, Thanks!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Ah, thanks, Mike! That was driving me crazy.

Of course, now you've got me curious as to what WAP does, but I'll resist the temptation to find out.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I just wanted to say I endorse everyone's anger and the calls for boycotts.

I don't know what I'd do without this forum -- I won't buy a thing until I read what you guys say about it here.

I'm left angered, depressed, mystified and disgusted. And soon we'll be reading how there's no interest in classic television on DVD, and they'll stop doing it altogether.

Wouldn't it be great if no one worked in an industry unless they knew about and loved whatever it was they were working with? But I think the attitude generally is, "Who cares? Most people won't know the difference." Which, I guess, is sadly true.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
How upsetting! Unfortunately I pre-ordered it from Amazon, and it is on its way to me. Well, I guess I am returning it back to them! I hope Paramount listens to this and corrects this incredible lapse of judgement!

I have been waiting years to have these on DVD! I guess I am going to have to pull out my ol' vcr and see if the VHS tapes I taped from TVLand are still watchable.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I am giving up on TV on DVD. It will never be the way we want it. So I have decided to not even want it.

Instead I'm going to start pressing studios to release shows and episodes on demand, or to make them available for viewing on websites or in TV syndication. Maybe that way I'll at least be able to see episodes with the original music still intact.

I've seen a lot of bitching around here about syndicated prints and shows missing one or two minutes of footage. I'd actually take that over replaced music, which ruins entire moods.

The whole industry can go to hell.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I want neither replaced music nor cut scenes.

Rather than take one or the other, and if I can't find a source that can provide both, I will go without.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Just seems a real shame that classic TV doesn't have the same respect as classic films. At one time a company started renting "family friendly" versions of R rated films. They were editing them. The directors of the films sued to stop the practice of editing their works of art without permission. Not sure if the practice stopped but at least the directors cared.

Paramount has always been big on music replacement even in films. Back in VHS days their videos contained the statement on the back that these are the home video versions of the films and that music has been replaced.

At least with the Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction we have the MPI releases of the public domain titles with original music. Remember while the shows may be in public domain, the music in them is not public domain and has to be licensed.

Odd that Family Affair has Frank Devol music, and that release as far as I know didn't have music replaced. I know Family Affair was not released by CBS/Paramount. Maybe its not that the music right are too expensive but that CBS/Paramount just does want to spent anything to license music.

The show Charmed used the original theme music in all season sets except the last season. Why ? Just seems that CBS/Paramount has decided to cut costs by not paying for music rights.

I am glad I Love Lucy was released before Babalu became Babawho? and Cuban Pete became Mambo Heat.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Where are our advocates? I thought for sure we'd have heard from at least one by now. I realize it's important to get all the facts before you talk to CBS/Paramount, but it's painfully obvious at this point that we've been rooked by the studio for a second time in just 4 months. I sincerely hope someone with "pull" will make sure our plight is known to the appropriate people at the company.

I've got to say, when I see Bert get as mad as he has gotten today, I know things are really messed up. He doesn't get mad that easily. But I'm with him on this latest debacle. It's a joke and I'm seriously considering a total boycott of all CBS/P dvds from this day forward. I'm not gonna lie: It will be tough to do without the likes of PERRY MASON and RAWHIDE in particular, but I'm very close to making the decision.

Gary "what they have done is truly inexcusable - they have deceived us (by not being proactive and telling us this situation up front) and I consider that unethical behavior that does not deserve my support" O.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
After The Fugitive, it's not like Paramount will be surprised to hear that people are mad. Gord or Dave telling them that people are mad will be just telling them what they already know. About the only thing I can see doing is writing a letter and stating that you won't buy this product (or you're boycotting all their products) and hoping that they get the message that way.

Jim B.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Yes David, I remember you were the first to reveal the score missing on the Fugitive and some members wanted a second opinion.
I am waiting for someone else here to view these episodes and give their reaction. You really do not even have to be familiar with the show to hear how bad it is. Since Episode 1 and 3 are were not changed it is easy to compare those to the others and the contrast is night and day.
Mark Heyes is a musician? It is hard to believe, his music is the most unmusical music I have ever heard. I think he must be the son of the studio head.
Rescoring these shows will always be wrong but if it had to be done there are musicians who could have actually contributed quality to the show.
The music used here and on the Fugitive is just a complete disaster and have rendered the shows unwatchable.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit

If they are going to consistently replace the music they should give us the option to at least be able watch the DVDs without the new score. Just leave the laugh track in.

kirkWmorgan

Auditioning
This latest fiasco really tears it for me!

I'll never purchase another TV show DVD until the companies get their f******
s*** together.

I'll turn to bootleg sets at least I have a much better shot at getting a quality product.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Do you mean me and Gord? You didn't name names of the "advocates", but just in case you meant us:

No reader e-mails have been sent to us about this at all, so far (everybody probably assumed that a hundred other people had already alerted us). I noticed the info about it in this thread on my own, yesterday in the very late afternoon (close to dinnertime). I alerted Gord immediately with an expletive-filled e-mail, and we've been discussing it since then. Considering the lateness of the hour when we found out about it, we have had no ability to get started on talking to anyone in the industry about it until today.

Rest assured this is something that we are not ignoring!

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for your attention to this. I appreciate all the behind the scenes work you and Gord do on behalf of the membership here. Just so hard to believe that CBS/P would do this again.

Doug

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Thanks David! I wasn't thinking exclusively of you guys, but you and Gord were definitely in my thoughts. I knew you'd come to the rescue at some point. And by "rescue" I don't mean I expect you guys to wave a magic wand and make this all better. I mean that I knew you guys wouldn't take this lying down and would at least get to the bottom of it.

Thanks again! You guys are the best!

Gary "with much respect" O.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Notice though that CBS/Paramount has been brazen enough to announce the release of My Three Sons: Season 1, Volume 2 for January. Apparently, they are not expecting much in the way of protest of this first volume. I doubt too that protest of this will reach Fugitive proportions; I don't think as many people care about My Three Sons as they do the Fugitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks